Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I built a controller for rocksmith! | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by smokeandlights View Post
    Nice Work!
    I thought about this setup too. In the end, I sacrificed a few ****ons to keep it scaled down. There's still plenty of room for big feet. Maybe not size 13 Doc Martins, but my sneakers fit just fine. It would have been nice to have a little more room to work in there when I was wiring.
    Thanks..
    My first prototype was half the size of the current one. I couldn't get the electronics and my hands in it at the same time. So it ended up being as pictured. I do have to say.. Isn't it much better playing the game and NOT having to pick up that controller to make changes or navigate the game?? Some time my son is like..Dads River Dancing again! as he sees me tapping the ****ons to get something done in the game.
    Last edited by mr_handy007; 04-29-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I debated on the stomp switches too. I didn't find a good source. Arcade ****ons are VERY durable. I'd not considered an effects board, but that's an interesting Idea. I never wanted to spend that much though.
    I originally used some stomp switches from a old Boss board I had and don't use any more. But I needed 4 more to complete it. When I contacted the company to order the remaining components I needed to complete the original design the cost for the new parts was going to be way too much, something like $65. A single spring was $4 and a single screw $2. Crazy!! Then I saw this controller that Ben Hackendorn made for a challenged child. Though he used 2" arcade switches, it gave me the idea for the regular arcade switches.
    The rest is history as they say. Though not the cheapest things to build. The arcade switches were like $30, if I remember right. I had the aluminum plate and wireless controller already and I bought a 5' X 5 1/2" X 3/4" piece of red oak from the Home Depot for roughly $8. Picked up some CPU drive ribbon from Radio Shack for $15. All told, I could put one together from scratch for $120.

I had been searching for a good while for a independent Bluetooth circuit board I could use instead of modding a controller. Not alot of choices out there when you take into account Xbox (Microsoft) has a propitiatory wireless system in their consoles. The closest I came was the circuit that ran the drum sets from the other games. I snapped a few of those up to make things easier if I build any more.

It makes playing the game so much easier once you get use to using your foot again! LOL
    Last edited by mr_handy007; 04-29-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_handy007 View Post
    Thanks..
    My first prototype was half the size of the current one. I couldn't get the electronics and my hands in it at the same time. So it ended up being as pictured. I do have to say.. Isn't it much better playing the game and NOT having to pick up that controller to make changes or navigate the game?? Some time my son is like..Dads River Dancing again! as he sees me tapping the ****ons to get something done in the game.
    LOL, Riverdance!!! I thought the same thing when I was trying to use a DDR Mat. It worked well enough, but I felt like I was dancing poorly (and losing my balance a bit!). I LOVE using my new controller. It really opens up the options of using it during play. I am also looking forward to using it while playing Rockband/Guitar hero as a controller for the singer. There was a 3rd party mic put out a few years ago that had an integrated controller, but I never picked one up. I wish I had!

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    DDR is a game of the gods sir...lol

Quote Originally Posted by mr_handy007 View Post
    I originally used some stomp switches from a old Boss board I had and don't use any more. But I needed 4 more to complete it. When I contacted the company to order the remaining components I needed to complete the original design the cost for the new parts was going to be way too much, something like $65. A single spring was $4 and a single screw $2. Crazy!! Then I saw this controller that Ben Hackendorn made for a challenged child. Though he used 2" arcade switches, it gave me the idea for the regular arcade switches.
    The rest is history as they say. Though not the cheapest things to build. The arcade switches were like $30, if I remember right. I had the aluminum plate and wireless controller already and I bought a 5' X 5 1/2" X 3/4" piece of red oak from the Home Depot for roughly $8. Picked up some CPU drive ribbon from Radio Shack for $15. All told, I could put one together from scratch for $120.

I had been searching for a good while for a independent Bluetooth circuit board I could use instead of modding a controller. Not alot of choices out there when you take into account Xbox (Microsoft) has a propitiatory wireless system in their consoles. The closest I came was the circuit that ran the drum sets from the other games. I snapped a few of those up to make things easier if I build any more.

It makes playing the game so much easier once you get use to using your foot again! LOL
    $65!! ouch. Guitar parts are always marked way up, in my experience.

I saw another instructable where someone in the comments said: " like Ben Heck, I'm thinking about using wireless controllers and leaving them functional and able to be removed."
    I never found any build by Ben Heck where he left a removable, fully functional controller. I suspect that if he did, it required a microcontroller in the built controller to decode the signals from the controller. This seems like a great Idea, but really defeats the purpose of lowering costs, I think. I would love to know if he ever even did it. If there is anyone outside of microsoft who could, It would be Mr. Heck.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabillybaby View Post
    DDR is a game of the gods sir...lol
    DDR is the game of the COORDINATED gods. I am not among them, but it is fun to watch!

$65!! ouch. Guitar parts are always marked way up, in my experience.
    Totally agree. They are. So, get creative. Get some headlight dimmer switches out of an old truck or something. . . (or a HMMWV). Only when you're building airplanes are you limited to using purpose-built parts for their originally intended purpose! (And even then. . . that rule is sort of flexible when it comes to prototypes and experimentals.)

To make the holes in your box the ideal tool is a "radio chassis punch" set. Also available at HFT for a tolerable price. They make perfect holes in sheet metal.

Very cool project! I'd been thinking about something like this but hadn't gotten beyond the "I should make something. . . " phase. WTG!
    Last edited by JTCoop; 05-02-2012 at 04:54 AM.

I would really like to figure out how to add a wah pad to the controller I built. I'm just not electronically gifted enough to mess with that.

I debated on the stomp switches too. I didn't find a good source. Arcade ****ons are VERY durable. I'd not considered an effects board, but that's an interesting Idea. I never wanted to spend that much though.
    Smoke.. Hows the controller holding up? Mine is still kicking like a champ. I still haven't figured out the Wah pedal aspect. I think I can cast and make some of the regular effects switches. I'd like to ditch the Xbox circuit board and then make the whole chassis out of CF.

Wow lots of the old controller threads revived.

Moving this one to the gear forum too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast