Thread: My problem with drop D | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Exclamation My problem with drop D

So I used to be naive about drop D, thinking I can go back and forth, no big deal. I'm sure many of you know this already, but I checked every string other than low E after dropping it to D, and they were all sharp. So I returned the whole thing. After returning E to E, my other strings fell flat. Now I understand why people keep a second drop D guitar close by. It really does mess with your bridge or neck, most likely bridge. Again I'm sure the pros know this, but for beginners, heads up.

That is all.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Erm...you've either got a loose neck on your guitar, or a floating bridge, because that shouldn't happen otherwise. It certainly doesn't happen to me. Tuning from E to D should only take a few pounds of pressure off.

Edit: A .46 low E string will go from 17.4 to 13.9 lbs when you tune to D, taking the overall tension on the neck/bridge from 103.6 to 100lbs with a set of .10-.46s.
    Last edited by Steel_Nirvana; 04-26-2012 at 02:28 AM.

I'm strung with 9-42 maybe its the rocksmith tuner ****ing with me lol, I play a 98 strat. And she hasnt had a whole lot of use, original owner.
    Last edited by Aneurysm350; 04-26-2012 at 02:44 AM.

It might be the tuner, though with my Gibson I don't even notice any change in the RS tuner when I go in and out of drop D. But mine uses a different bridge than the Strat. I pulled the numbers off D'Addario's web site; I don't use their strings, but they'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about string tension! I found it when I unstrung my guitar the first time I changed the strings, and was hyperventilating I'd done something horrible....

Edit: Also, I'm definitely not an expert, so I could be completely off base.

If u don't use the tremolo feature, block it with a tremol-noWhen u drop D, the string tension changes affecting the amount of tension on your tremolo bridge, thus throwing off the tension on the other strings which is causing your tuning issues. You may be able to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar to help, but your best bet is to block it altogether. I ran into a similar issue with my prs in the game. Drop d threw it off just enough to cause a drop in note recognition. Tremol-no fixed that.
    I post from my iPad most of the time so forgive the typos!

Running RS14 on PS3 and on Macbook:

Mavericks
    2.3mhz intel core i7
    8G ram
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 384MB - built in
    Nvidia GT 650 512mb

Guitars/Amps/Gear
    PRS Santana SE - modded with EMG 81/85 active pups, locking tuners, Tremol-NO
    PRS SE 245
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus - classic 57 pups
    Gibson 1941 J-35
    Marshall DSL40C
    Boss TU-3
    Boss GE-7
    Boss DD-7
    mxr phase 90
    mxr micro flanger
    mxr smart gate
    crybaby 535q wah

Yup, sounds like the Floating Bridge/Tremelo to me as well. If you deck or block the trem, you'll take care of that issue.

OK guys, actually I went in the back last week to lock the bridge, I don't think I tightened them down far enough, there's still a mil or two of play. And do I need to reset my intonation? Originally my bridge was at a jimi Hendrix angle

Yes you need to reset the intonation, and you should probably get rid of the last of the play.

First thing I did with my Strat when I bought it was block the trem.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    1st pic is where I can adjust the action, but sometimes adjusting the action can throw off intonation. a problem that basically means you can tune your guitar, but it won't be in tune. I'm not a pro so please correct me if I'm wrong.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

2nd pic. It's a good idea when you string your guitar that you wrap it at least 3 times to help prevent your guitar going out of tune all the time. also a slight stretch up and down the neck will help your strings stay in tune because naturally you're strings will stretch out when you play. p.s. i know my guitar is dirty, i need to buy some new strings and clean it off lol.

Thus the reason that I HATE the drop-D tunings in this game. I have a guitar for drop-D, and I swap in and out. I wouldn't go through blocking your Strat for a game, seriously. Just go into the precision tuner and tune all your strings then re-tune when you're done. If you have a floating bridge and locking nut, I would choose another guitar for the game. Personally, I have no use for drop-D outside the game, so I just took an old Epiphone I had lying around from when the boys were young and set it up for that tuning. It used to be what I would use when we played Man in a Box, and I had to tune 1/2 step down.

Keep rockin.