3 60.00%
  • Include the propaganda posters

4 80.00%
  • Do not include the propaganda posters

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: [POLL] More office pin-ups? | Forums

Question [POLL] More office pin-ups?

My next project is to do something about the pin-up poster on the left side shelves in the office. I intend to add a function to my SH4 Randomizer program to replace the original postere.dds file...

...with a randomly selected edited one, like this:

But then I got to thinking, why stop there? I've never been crazy about the two IJN ship posters. Especially the carrier one, because the last one on it is the Taiho, which wasn't commissioned until 1944, and had an active service life of about three months! I doubt the USN even knew the ship's name until after the war. So I thought about doing this:

I've also thought about including some wartime propaganda posters, like so:

The only problems with using the propaganda posters is seeing them before they actually existed, either because you're starting a career right or shortly after Pearl Harbor, or even before if using my Pre PH mod. The other problem is that while most of the ones I've chosen are like the example given, some are of other types, including a few VERY un-PC ones. If the propaganda posters are voted on to be used, I would include those for the sake of historical accuracy.

Both leave the U.S. subs posters, which I don't have a problem with. But, why not go all the way too:

Since most, or even all, might not agree with what I might decide on my own, I figured I'd put up to a vote. Choose the format you would want most, and whether or not to include the propaganda posters. Voting will be open until Thursday morning, May 3rd. I will also post this poll on Subsim.com and on Silenthuntermods.com.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Although, those are nice pin-ups, would you actually find one in real life, posted in a Navy Captain's office? I only ask because I've never been in a Naval office. I know that some bombers used pin-ups as nose art, but I also know that the military brass had them banned/censored later in the war. I think it would be more realistic to put the propaganda poster up there.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)

Although, those are nice pin-ups, would you actually find one in real life, posted in a Navy Captain's office? I only ask because I've never been in a Naval office. I know that some bombers used pin-ups as nose art, but I also know that the military brass had them banned/censored later in the war. I think it would be more realistic to put the propaganda poster up there.
    True, but the Submarine Captain wouldn't really have a big office like that to begin with, that would be more like a Squadron CO's Office. The Cap'n would have his state room on the boat.
    "On my ship, we never have problems, only solutions" - Ret ADM Eugene Fluckey, USN

It's interesting reading the WWII sub books about what the shore accommodations were during refits. Very ad-hoc arrangements, usually local hotels that were taken over or sometimes private housing that was donated or made available through local connections. I remember a part of James Calvert's book that told about how the officers were invited to stay at a really nice private ranch outside of Fremantle during one refit. I believe that is where he got into some romantic troubles.

So rather than the office, a mod that showed a nice corner suite at the Royal Hawaiian with a fridge full of cold beer would be nice. I'm sure that is no problem to mod.

Quote Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
    Well there's already two pin-ups in the office anyway. The one I mention, and in the stock game there's one in the hallway partially visible when the door is opened which is also slightly visible on the side of the file cabinet on the far wall. And then there's another that shows when you check out the "Top Aces." So really there's three in the office. I don't know if it's "historically accurate," but the precedent has been set.

And besides, it is "your" office.

Quote Originally Posted by LouLewis1967 View Post
    So rather than the office, a mod that showed a nice corner suite at the Royal Hawaiian with a fridge full of cold beer would be nice. I'm sure that is no problem to mod.
    I'm sure it isn't. Unless I would have to do it. Then it's unpossible.

It's interesting reading the WWII sub books about what the shore accommodations were during refits. Very ad-hoc arrangements, usually local hotels that were taken over or sometimes private housing that was donated or made available through local connections. I remember a part of James Calvert's book that told about how the officers were invited to stay at a really nice private ranch outside of Fremantle during one refit. I believe that is where he got into some romantic troubles.
    The Irony is that not much has changed in 70 some-odd years, when we pull in to a foreign port we typically have a really nice place to put our "hot rackers" In Bahrain we were in a Best Western Royal, extremely nice place. In France the hotel wasn't as nice, but it was quaint for a touristy-port-town. When the boat is in Dry Dock we actually have a barge pulled up near us that has the captain's stateroom and offices in it.

Oh and we always have SOMEBODY getting into "romantic trouble".

"On my ship, we never have problems, only solutions" - Ret ADM Eugene Fluckey, USN

Okay, polls are now closed. Here's the total from all three sites:

Change just the given pin-up picture 1

Change the pin-up and 2 ship posters 1

Change the pin-up and all 3 ship posters 9

Include the propaganda posters 12

Do not include the propaganda posters 1

Since it was pretty obvious after only a few days how the vote was going to go, I went ahead and started creating the files. So the first set will be uploaded soon.