Thread: IMPROWING BREED MASTERY (Ageing Up Horses) | Forums

IMPROWING BREED MASTERY (Ageing Up Horses)

Since there are a lot of questions about this, I thought I'd be nice and put together a HOW TO GUIDE for breeding, breed mastery, making your horses retire at older ages & how to make the best of the breedings!

1. You start by training your SUPER HAPPY horse in the roundpen in whatever discipline(s) you choose. You unlock level 1 with 2 iterations in the round pen, level 2 with 3 round pen trainings, level 3 with 4 trainings...so on and so forth. Each 'level-up' in training unlocks a breeding badge. Once your horse has maxed out her training and has retired, this is the best time to then breed your horse. To see how many breeding badges your horse has (or to see your horse's progress in training), click the '+' sign next to her photo.

2. So, now I go to breed my horse in the breeding station, I choose a horse to breed with of Michelle's, then I get to the breeding window:

3. From here, I see I have used 0 out of 6 badges and I have 2/9 badges to level up my 'breed mastery' in this breed. So I start shifting & modifying the foal's traits until I have used all 6 of my mare's breeding badges:

4. Now once the foal is bred, I will have a 8/9 in my breeding mastery. One more breeding will take me to the next level, which will make my horses retire at older ages. To see your current breed mastery, click on the ribbon ****on on the bottom right hand corner of the screen:

5. Then click on breed mastery.

The higher the breeding mastery level, the older your horses will be able to retire! Which means you can unlock more breeding badges!
    Last edited by mushlymush; 04-24-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    * ~ Novus Ordo Seclorum ~ *
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Player Experience Manager
    Thank you I'll add it as sticky in the forums!

This is very nice. Thank you!

Thank you for this thread!!!
    With this process when would you show the horse? ((Im BRAND NEW to this game started this morning))

I personally have breeding horses & competition horses. Any horses that I breed that don't have the patterns I want go to competition string. I train the competition horses to level 2 in one discipline (like saddle seat), then compete with them (skipping treating for competing!) until they retire, then over the rainbow they go. Breeding horses I keep I will train in all 5 disciplines to maximize the amount of breeding badges I get per horse. Then once they retire I use them to breed more horses! I hope this helps.
    * ~ Novus Ordo Seclorum ~ *

Hi, 'Mushlymush', I'm just getting to grips with this game (with some difficulty - and I desperately need 'riding pals' - anyone, please add me if you're interested - www.facebook.com/berylm), but a couple of the things you've said here brought questions to mind, if you don't mind?

1 - You mention not treating when competing - what effect does not treating have, then? Or rather, why should we bother treating at all, if it's not necessary?

2 - You also mentioned horses that don't have the patterns you want - is there any benefit to have one of the different patterns/colours etc over another, or is it just the using of the breeding badges to change them that is the benefit? I notice there seems to be a disproportionate amount of the game dedicated to the ability to change these, considering that as far as I can see they're just cosmetic!

Many thanks in advance!
    Beryl M

I'm not the OP but I hope you don't mind if I reply instead.

1. Treating is necessary for Training. The horses won't gain levels in training unless they're "Super Happy". For showing, you can get away with skipping it AS LONG AS you pick one of your friends to cheer for you (the Thumb icon will stop moving, and be a Thumbs Up with a green background). It's not needed at all to breed, or to go to the Petting Zoo.

2. I personally don't see any difference, other than there's more variety of colour on my farm and it's pretty. It's the use of the badges that's important, since the more you use, the higher your Breed Mastery and the more options you can unlock. The higher levels unlock some training bonuses too, like needing fewer "cycles" to complete a training level.

Quote Originally Posted by mushlymush View Post
    I personally have breeding horses & competition horses. Any horses that I breed that don't have the patterns I want go to competition string. I train the competition horses to level 2 in one discipline (like saddle seat), then compete with them (skipping treating for competing!) until they retire, then over the rainbow they go. Breeding horses I keep I will train in all 5 disciplines to maximize the amount of breeding badges I get per horse. Then once they retire I use them to breed more horses! I hope this helps.
    yes but how do u train ur horses

But what about talents?

How do you level up on talents and what do they mean? What do the different icons next to the level indication mean?

Thanks for the info. mushlymush!!