Thread: Riven uncompatible with Windows 7 64 bit :( Is there any way???? | Forums

Unhappy Riven uncompatible with Windows 7 64 bit :( Is there any way????

I just bought a copy of Myst's Riven and tried to install it on my computer. The box popped up, I click install AND... nothing happened I did some research and found out its not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. Does that mean I can never play it???? I was really looking forward to it!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Riven may or may not be compatible with Windows 7 64 bit, depending on the exact configuration of any given system. IMO, those who say "it can't be done" simply pop the disc into the drive, click on Install, then draw unwarranted conclusions when the install fails. That's the lazy person's way....

In general,
    1. Install Riven to your C: drive, accepting the install defaults whenever possible.
    ----- 1. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    2. Start Riven from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all tasks running in the background, especially anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs, task schedulers, remote system control programs (such as Microsoft NetMeeting) or other programs shown on the Windows task bar.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it!
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Riven.
    3. Do NOT boot up with the Riven disc in the drive, or with any disc in the drive.
    4. If the Riven disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Start the game using the Riven icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the disc.

Do steps 2 through 5, above, whenever you start Riven.

Suggestions:

If you have any external devices (USB, E-SATA, etc.), DISconnect all of them before installing (or starting) Riven.

1. Install:
    -- a. The latest video driver from your PC's manufacturer or the manufacturer of your video card.
    -- b. The latest sound driver from your PC's manufacturer or the manufacturer of your sound card.

Don't assume that you have the latest drivers - visit the appropriate websites to check!

Reboot when all driver installations are complete, and again try installing Riven.

2. Uninstall Riven, then use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter to re-install the game. Do the uninstall steps below, just on the off chance that some Riven bits got installed, even though the formal install failed.
    -- a. First, uninstall Riven using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs utility. (See Uninstall or change a program for details.)
    ----- 1. If you can't find the Add or Remove Programs utility, see Turn Windows features on or off.
    -- b. When uninstallation is complete, reboot, and re-install Riven to your C: drive using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter...."
    -- c. When re-installation is complete, reboot, and start Riven by doing steps 2 through 5 under "in general", above.
    -- d. If Riven doesn't start or play properly, again run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    ----- 1. First, try the Windows 95 and Windows 98/Windows ME modes under "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?" If neither of these modes helps, try all of the other modes.
    ----- 2. You can also make compatibility setting changes manually. Click on [color:blue]> To change compatibility settings manually[/color] in Make older programs run in this version of Windows, and read through all of the options. Various combinations of options are usually necessary.

3. If you're running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, install Riven in Windows XP Mode. See Windows Virtual PC and Download Windows XP Mode for details.

If none of the above help, post back. There are other things to be tried.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Unhappy

First of all, thanks so much for trying to help. Unfortunately, I still cannot get it to work. No matter what I do, I get an error message that says the game is incompatible. I have tried running it using other versions of windows on the same computer and to no avail. It simply will not install one single file.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraJayde View Post
    First of all, thanks so much for trying to help. Unfortunately, I still cannot get it to work. No matter what I do, I get an error message that says the game is incompatible. I have tried running it using other versions of windows on the same computer and to no avail. It simply will not install one single file.
    What Quick Time version were you using to play Riven ?

You could buy Riven from http://www.gog.com and it will run on vista 7. It's about 5 dollars.

I have never been able to play Riven... Quick Time was never running. I put the disc in, click on the setup file and an error message comes up saying that the game is incompatible with my version of windows. I can't get any further than that.
    **gnorke: Are you sure that it will run on Windows 7 64bit???

Scratch that, the website says it is compatible. Ok I'm going to download it and chuck the stupid discs out. What a waste. Thanks for your help everyone, hope this works!!

-------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda