Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy SC mission walk throughs. (Add yours). | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Quote Originally Posted by reddragonhrcro View Post
    Actualy there is,i seen it on some assault rifles(M4),a sort of a bag/pouch is placed on the ejection port to catch the shells.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

In a deciduous forest, fall, leaves everywhere make bushwhacking a very slow process so you're practically forced onto the trails unless you want to deal with the gruelingly slow trek. There are game trails (aka hidden alternative paths). Infiltrate in and out on foot. I would go for a remote military bunker... Kinda like the NKA Costal Battery, which bummed me out that we didn't get to sneak on site. Three part level like in the Kinshasa 360 version: 1st is to infiltrate the outer perimeter; 2nd is inside the base; third is extracting during an attack on the base.

^ I always hate it when forests are used as wall for environments. I just want to get in them!

Think I saw you in GRFS Beta last week. Thought I recognized the Live tag from somewhere. Maybe you've got a doppelganger...either that or Flight of the Conchords are inspiring people in a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSage View Post
    ^ I always hate it when forests are used as wall for environments. I just want to get in them!

Think I saw you in GRFS Beta last week. Thought I recognized the Live tag from somewhere. Maybe you've got a doppelganger...either that or Flight of the Conchords are inspiring people in a similar fashion.
    That was definitely me, I've focused on the scout to about level 20. I unfortunately didn't have a mic so I was pretty much trying to anticipate my teammates' actions. I started getting really good after taking dead riflemen's assault rifles. I just couldn't get the hang of the Bodark's sniper rifle and the submachine gun is incredibly underpowered(considering I only played as a ghost on relatively few occasions). It's really hit or miss with teammates in that game. Really worth it when you get a tight match; otherwise sprinting across the map is incredibly annoying.

I agree though, I really don't like the linear direction of many forests, I'd rather have a more sandboxy experience. The problem I always thought would be the suspension of belief required for moving through brush... Twigs are everywhere, and blending in with the sounds of the forest is key. That means moving methodically like a fox and doing a lot of staying frozen in place to listen. A lot of people have patience issues with that. It would probably take an extreme engine to handle dynamics as realistic as that, which is why I would rather have game trails to make things quicker, but still provide the option of bushwhacking at a price of much more noise.

I focused on the Scout too, got to about level 14 before I realized I wasn't going to get to the augmented camo, so I started mixing up classes as my mood changed. The MP is good and has me very motivated for the campaign and Guerilla mode.

I've played some well realized forest levels in games before, I think they all trended towards trail play vice sandbox. Has to be hard to implement a full sandbox forest and make it fun. As long as there are a lot of trails it should work out. I wouldn't mind having to stealth along a a creek to get to an outpost, or maybe an escape through a heavily wooded area and have to climb up or down a precarious water fall Bear Grylls style, or even have to leap off of it. Have to survive a flash flood as a gameplay change up, get some real verticality going on in there. There are definately enticing elements, but as you say, keeping a variety of players interested would be the task.
    Last edited by SolidSage; 05-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.

More of a narrative but ah what the heck the forums are dead anyway....

A windy, moonless night. Out in the distance a small Zodiac is dropped off a ship. A mile off the coast I drop off the boat and swim ashore. Waves crash on the beach. Wind blows fiercely picking up trash and scattering it. Take a minute and check the surroundings. A cigarette flickers in the distance. Murmurs caught in the wind. At least two guards, bored, how typical. Advancing slowly the wind picks up. A storm is brewing and headed in. At the top of a ridge I look down. Sheer rock walls with one path going down. The locals rush outside, gathering their belongs before retreating to their dwellings. I move down the path and take cover on a nearby house. Inside a child whimpers softly. The target is nearby. Down the road a cars come to stop, doors slam and four men exit. Dressed in dark trench coats, defiantly carrying. They clearly don't belong here. Carefully keeping distance I follow them. One splits off in an alley. Across the street I recognize a face. My teammate (needs a name, lets call him Doug) slowly makes eye contact and nods, barely noticeable. Following his gaze another familiar face. The courier.

A quick decision is necessary. A small discrete hand signal and Doug follows the man who split from the group. I focus attention of the courier. A sharp crack of thunder and rain begins. The courier makes his way around several blocks, attempting to track any tails. Finally he makes his way to a nearby home. I take position in a small balcony across the street. A quick thermal scan shows me three guys, one on a phone. I remove the laser mic and beam the window. Arabic. But I hear, "....Reed" and later, "....Meggido". I make a call to Doug and he regroups. Slowly we move to the target house. A small direct EMP charge is placed on the phone box outside. These men know something, got to find out what. I send a snake cam under the door. Target positions are relayed, and Doug moves to take a position on the back exit. Door breached, clear right, contact center, double tap in the chest. Second man pivots, one more suppressed round takes the man out. The courier flees. An SUV quickly rolls up the home. Heavily armed men surround the building. Doug is nailed with a tranq and thrown in the back of the SUV. A quick look around and a trip mine is set behind the door. I flip the table over, handgun up and ready. Door opens, shots fired. First two go down. Second two realize what's happened, turn back and flee in the SUV. A quick breather but no time to waste, sirens in the distance, time to go. Hood pulled up, head down and on the street I go. Sirens getting closer. Two miles to next objective. I pick up the pace and begin running.

Two miles later I reach it. A small, unmarked car parked under a tree. Perfect. Twenty-three miles out of town and I approach on the second objective. The compound is perfectly set up. Four guard towers at each corner of the square compound, each with two spotlights and a stationary MG. Two more towers at the entrance. Double row of fences and a quick EMF scan shows they're electric. I pull up the OPSAT and take a look with thermal satellite. A barracks shows the most heat, reasonable. Everyone wants out of this storm. Another flash of lightning quickly illuminates the entire compound. Guess I better take the walls. I remove the grapnel gun and fire, pull the rope tight. Ten feet and I'm over and I quietly drop to the ground. Footprints. A wandering patrol. Eight hundred feet back stands the prize, the massive compound for Meggido. It spans five stories and cameras naturally cover the entrances. Nearby another guard quietly coughs. I approach him and a quick flash of the blade and a hand over the mouth. One down. Let's get inside.

Well what do you think so far? If its any good I'll keep going. Don't care either way...

^ I like it, it's well written and while it's story'ish, you've included a lot of tools and gameplay mech. I'm not sure about Doug being such a pushover though, and how does that pan out for Player2, getting tranqued and abducted?

I'm noticing a trend here, everyone seems to favor an atmospheric and extended insertion through an exotic environment, (mountain side, forest, ocean), me too. Even if that part of each mission (4 part like SCC) was very linear in nature, and didn't provide too much sandboxey play, I would be happy for it to take up the entire 1st section/stage of a level. And the parameter could require a complete no detection mandate, like the first stage of Russian Embassy. You could include all kinds of obstacles, like Sonar buoys for boating/swimming, dogs and guards and searchlights for encampments, audio elements for forests like the snapping twigs and rustling leaf noises or spooked wildlife, coupled with search patrols, flashlights, cameras, lasers and booby traps. All specific to the environment they are employed to monitor. Really beef up the difficulty of insertion and make it the first part of every new location.

Definitely big on the story lol! But yeah, I think that's part of evolving the franchise but maybe just a little bit. Still I'm so tired of having levels just like hey, here you are. That gets lame. I remember on CT the bank level I was so disappointed because it would have been awesome trying to find a way inside the walls/perimeter. Instead you just get plopped over there and away you go...the more opportunity you have for stealth, and stealth insertion is always good in my book.

As far as second player I was just bored and felt like writing something honestly. Wasn't even thinking about gamplay! Sorry!

I had to make it a lot shorter then I would have liked, but w/e, I think you'll see some cool ideas.

The end of the mission briefing leaves me with two choices. One, do I go in now, aka at dawn, or wait till tonight and do a typical midnight insertion. Both have drawbacks: if I go tonight there will be heavier security and the data on the server will have been partially moved and I’ll have to get it from somewhere else, another time. If I go now however, security will be lighter, but so will the shadows and I’ll only have twenty minutes before the civilian staff start arriving. Tricky, but I decide to go now.

It’s a solo op, so after the jump from the disguised boat into Sydney Harbour I just need to swim to shore. The shoreline of the research compound is guarded with patrolman, dogs and a nasty wire fence… the lawn looks nice though.

There would be possibly multiple ways around the fence, but I’m kinda in a hurry. That coupled with the fact that eventually they’re gonna realise someone stole their data, I don’t think a hole in the fence is gonna matter all that much. Though, I would do good to neutralize these two patrolmen ‘cause if they found evidence of an entry the entire compound would get edgy. You know, flashlights go on, guns come out etc.

A little crawl in the lawn and I get passed one patrol and give him a perfect slogging with my fist. The other deserves something special; I pull out my tranquilizer pistol and plant one in his back. Takes a few steps for him to fall, but its non-lethal and quiet. Mind you, in a more ‘desperate’ situation its no match for the SOCOM strapped to my other leg.

Cameras, guards, well lit rooms and locked doors plague the path to the server room, but it’s nothing I don’t deal with on a daily basis, so all goes smooth. The server room door however is locked with a keypad… not exactly something the lock-picks can help me with.
    I recall there only being one conventional way to this spot, so I lean out of the room and toss a sticky-cam onto the side of the hall. That’ll give me a heads-up when the sentry comes back. I’m pretty sure he checks this door on his patrol, but again, I don’t really have time to test the theory. Anyway, back to it, get to the keypad and plug in the hacker. Some locks go easy as 1 2 3, but this one’s being a pain. And just my luck, my sticky-cam chimes in my ear to let me know someone walked passed it. Well nothing for it gotta use a virus for the lock; I only carry three, but they’re foolproof.
    Bingo, the lock goes down in an instant and the doors swing open… problem! Even if I hide, that sentry is gonna see the open doors. Why the heck don’t they use handles anymore? Anyway, no time to whine, I press against the wall and get ready to deal with Mr. Curious.

He steps cautiously into the room with his flashlight out. It takes a second for him to notice my silhouette a few feet from his face, but it’s far too late for him. A kick in the gut and a punch to the face soften him up to easily take him hostage, but I’d prefer to deal with him here. Without a pause my headlock turns into a ground hold and I choke him unconscious. May as well drag him into the server room with me… keep him out of sight.

I don’t need to hack the server, providing a physical uplink is enough for techies to hack and steal the goods. I stand around for just a moment and chat to the gurus at HQ and get the all clear to exfiltrate. But a quick observation of my timer reveals that any second now employees are gonna start arriving. I do have an opportune objective to interrogate Mr. Phelps, the admin of this fine establishment, but I think I’ll pass on that. It’s nothing I can’t get off a computer from another site. Also, chances are the place would be getting crowded by that time and I’d have to dig up some civies and stash the bulk of my equipment… that would rule out using it till someone picked it up for me. As luck always has it, that’s the duration of another mission.

Speaking of causality, a little something echelon grabbed before I went in here was a blueprint. To make my exfiltration a little easier I use my PDA to jump into the map and find an irrelevant zone to call in a disturbance. Thanks to Mr. Curious, I have a radio. The basement looks good… wait, what’s say the heater room in the basement. That’s Section 3 of Zone D1. That get’s the some of the guys back entrance outta my way so I can get back to the lawn and into the river before the sun comes up.
    Good as home free.

^ Nice one. Big fan of the gadget upgrades, (camera audible alert especially). The variety of routes and mission optional objectives is great and I really like the possibility, of creating the need for another mission due to how your current mission plays out (someone else having to go get your gear).
    Lot of choices in there and not such a rigid way for things to play out. That would have to enhance the realishness.
    You got that evolved CQC in there too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast