Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems picking up notes | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Problems picking up notes

I've had a guitar for a couple years and I REALLY have struggled to actually practice with much consistency. I picked up Rocksmith about a week ago and I've been playing through it.

I love the game, but I'm worried I've had some issues with the game accurately picking up the notes I play. When I hit some notes on the low E string, the game seems to think I'm off, but when I look down, I appear to have my fingers right where they belong.

This is less a question about Rocksmith, than it's a question about guitar. Honestly, I don't have a ton of strength in my hands and I wonder if I'm not holding the low E string hard enough.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the game not picking up the correct notes?

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hey Jencaasi! Good to see ya!

There's a couple things I've found out with Rocksmith and note detection.

First, intonation will play a big part - probably the biggest issue when fretting chords / notes higher up the neck.

Secondly, instructors and books will tell you to fret notes and chords by placing your fingers in the middle of the fret. This is probably to build up finger strength, but from a sound point of view, it's pretty bad. Placing fingers in the middle allows the strings to be bent as your fingers depress into the "hole" between two frets. When the strings bend like that the pitch will change several cents and end up souring. I find fretting right up against the fret to be easiest strength wise and most accurate note. Also, since you mentioned it - you might be holding the note too hard. Try lighter touch, move your finger closer to the fret and see what that does.

The tuner in Rocksmith isn't anything to write home about, but it shouldn't be the problem here.

Other things may be timing, striking the note at the wrong time. Which leads me to the last thing I can think of. If you are using an HD TV, make sure you aren't using HDMI for the sound. There is a known issue with high def audio and Rocksmith. Use the RCA jacks, preferably to a sound system (but RCA to TV works fine for me)

I'm a noob around here, so take all this with a grain of salt. I'm sure some of the more advanced Rocksmith talent will chime in on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jencaasi View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a ton of strength in my hands and I wonder if I'm not holding the low E string hard enough.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the game not picking up the correct notes?

Thanks!
    Hi and welcome!!
    I'm betting you're actually fretting the string too hard. Does the game "think" you're a fret too high?
    I would think if you weren't fretting hard enough you'd hear / feel a buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNub View Post

Which leads me to the last thing I can think of. If you are using an HD TV, make sure you aren't using HDMI for the sound. There is a known issue with high def audio and Rocksmith. Use the RCA jacks, preferably to a sound system (but RCA to TV works fine for me)
    I've heard about this and I AM using HDMI audio. But, this is the only time I've really had issues. I'll definitely try RCA cables for the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin222 View Post
    I'm betting you're actually fretting the string too hard. Does the game "think" you're a fret too high?
    That's EXACTLY what the game is telling me. My only guitar experience thus far has been the first half of a beginner's book, and maybe I'm just really not used to using the lower/top strings.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

When I first got Rocksmith, I had this problem in spades. It drove me nuts playing the "Ducks" minigame as the game constantly "thought" I was a fret - or even two - too high. CONSTANTLY. After asking around, I was told to check the intonation. I watched some videos and tried to fix the intonation myself and was unsuccessful. I ended up taking my guitar to the local Guitar World store and having then do an initial setup on it. Turns out one of the saddles on my guitar was upside down or something. Anyway, the guy fixed the intonation and I haven't really had this problem since*. So that would be my first recommendation - check your intonation and fix that.

Tabe

* - I do still occasionally have issues but they are always related to the low "E" being out of tune or me bending the string when fretting. The low "E" is INCREDIBLY sensitive to this stuff so make sure you use the precision tuner the first time you tune during every play session and make sure you're not bending the string.

Odds really are that it's not your guitar, but you either pressing too hard, or slightly bending the string as you fret it. I had this exact problem earlier with drop D songs, and I thought I must not be fretting hard enough...but it wasn't until after a couple of days of frustration that I tried a lighter touch and everything magically got better. So before tweaking anything on your axe, try fretting lightly and cleanly and see if that helps the problem.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the first rule: you fix the problem by adjusting your technique; you explain the problem by discussing your equipment.

Good advice, Steel... Jencaasi, The placement of your finger just "behind" the fret is important too. many people Think they need to be in the middle of the fretboard between the frets, but you want to be just behind it. So, let's talk about what a fret is. it's not the space where the dot (or bird, or other marker) is, but the wire that's laid into the fretboard. You want to place your finger just 'behind' or towards the headstock side of the fretwire. Believe it or not, you do NOT have to push the string all the way to the fretboard to get it to be in tune. If you did, open strings wouldn't work. You are simulating what the tuning pegs are doing behind the nut with your finger. If you don't believe me, take a quick look at the 'scalloped' fretboard of the Yngwie Malmsteen stratocaster. He actually presses harder to bend the string, because he removes the fretboard beneath his fingers. This requires a lighter touch, but you'll find 2 things very quickly: 1 - you can play faster, because you're not pushing as hard and 2 - you will play more accurately, because you're not putting so much effort into 'pushing' the strings. Keep rocking!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    Edit: Oh, and don't forget the first rule: you fix the problem by adjusting your technique; you explain the problem by discussing your equipment.
    Haha! That's funnee!

For what it's worth, I find that all sorts of good things happen with a lighter touch in both hands. I am constantly reminding myself to lighten up. In addition to nailing notes better by not stretching strings between frets, I find that a light touch (in both hands) yields better tone, greater speed, greater picking/strumming accuracy and significantly less hand/finger/wrist fatigue, among many other things.
    Last edited by mtnbkr123; 04-18-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr123 View Post
    Haha! That's funnee!

For what it's worth, I find that all sorts of good things happen with a lighter touch in both hands. I am constantly reminding myself to lighten up.
    Yep I have that problem. The more difficult, or faster the song, the tighter I grip, like my golf game, If I think about it and relax my grip it works better, but "under pressure" I tighten up and it all goes to crap.

Problem picking up notes

Iv been having the same issue with the E and F cords and with palm muted notes. Seems to be an issue with down loaded content primarily. Very frustrating when you're trying too 100% a song

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast