Thread: Personality Specifications | Forums

Question Personality Specifications

I'd like to modify some personalities, but I'd like to know more about some of the numbers associated with them.

1. How do their base ratings (2650, etc.) differ from their strength of play on the 'style' tab (100)? If I wanted to make them weaker, what would be the outcome if I lowered just the base rating, or just the playing strength? Do I need to lower them both??

2. On the 'positional' tab, why is their 2 sliders for each field and what do the numbers mean? For example, Botvinnik has 125 for his own and opponents pawn safety - what does that mean?

3. On the 'style' tab, they all seem to have a 'maximum search depth' of 99 and a 'selective' search depth of 9. I would of thought the max figure would mean 'brute force' search and would be lower than the 'selective' figure?

I'd be glad if anyone can shed some light on these things for me.

Thanks folks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

1. How do their base ratings (2650, etc.) differ from their strength of play on the 'style' tab (100)? If I wanted to make them weaker, what would be the outcome if I lowered just the base rating, or just the playing strength? Do I need to lower them both??
    I'm not sure, but I don't think changing the base rating does anything. I believe the base rating reflects CMs estimate of the rating of the given personality at a given time. That would explain why the rating varies for a personality, depending on the strength of your processor, the amount of ram you have, what ever else you might be running at the time, etc. So, to change the rating of a personality, change the playing strength. I recently posted a question regarding what happens when playing strength is altered, but no one has yet responded.

2. On the 'positional' tab, why is their 2 sliders for each field and what do the numbers mean? For example, Botvinnik has 125 for his own and opponents pawn safety - what does that mean?
    It means just what it says. Botvinnik may have one level of concern for his own pawn safety, but a different level of concern about his opponent's pawn safety.

3. On the 'style' tab, they all seem to have a 'maximum search depth' of 99 and a 'selective' search depth of 9. I would of thought the max figure would mean 'brute force' search and would be lower than the 'selective' figure?
    If a personality uses max search depth, it will consider all moves to a depth of 99 ply. If using selective search, it will consider all moves to a depth of 9 ply.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote