Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classical guitar, complementary or necessary? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by WickedBadz View Post
    I saw Dragonforce in concert one time and watched Herman Li step on his guitar cord and yank it right out and he kneeled down at the front of the stage and shredded a solo.....totally unplugged....lost all respect for them since, knowing they play to a backing track is just a disgrace to music and musicians
    OMG. I would have walked out right there. That's a disgrace. That makes DragonFarce no better than Justin Beiber in my book.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I play classical guitar. I got a minor in guitar performance in college. As some of the other posters have pointed out, Classical Guitar is an entirely different animal than electric. If you are proficient at classical guitar, though, you will have a good foundation to play any genre of guitar. I didn't really play any electric or rock style before RS, but it has been pretty easy to pick up (no pun intended!). String bends are fun; something you never do on a classical.

If you are interested in classical guitar there are tons of great sites for learning technique and songs. Bottom line, I think it will definitely improve all aspects of your musicianship to become classically trained. I would love to see more classically inspired DLC...just give us more genres! Flamenco, Jazz, Fusion, Classical...I want more!

This post inspired me to change my profile pic back to my true love!

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocqueFloyd View Post
    In that kind of generality, that would equally apply to studying harpsichord.
    that is completely true, take elements of what you know and apply them to other things. I learned how to play saxophone in high school because I had previously played the piano and it was just something I had to transition onto another instrument.
    Last edited by rockabillybaby; 04-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    So this is 2 members of my friends metal band: http://youtu.be/llepZ4X7vGw
    this is the metal band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmG7y...feature=colike
    that's pretty **** cool to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    My next instrument will definitely be sitar.
    That's crazy, I actually own a sitar that my parents bought in India in the 70s and was literally 10 minutes ago thinking, "I need to find someone in town who knows how to get it strung/set up." It hasn't been maintained since they bought it and needs all the strings re-done. There are 7 main strings and 13 sympathetic strings. It also has real ivory inlay, bridge and nut, etc (back before ivory was a big no-no.)

Time to give some luthiers in town a call....

Last edited by Funk-n-Stein; 04-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    My pick-up toggle switch has 3 modes: Swank, Extra Swank, and Super Swank

Quote Originally Posted by Funk-n-Stein View Post
    That's crazy, I actually own a sitar that my parents bought in India in the 70s and was literally 10 minutes ago thinking, "I need to find someone in town who knows how to get it strung/set up." It hasn't been maintained since they bought it and needs all the strings re-done. There are 7 main strings and 13 sympathetic strings. It also has real ivory inlay, bridge and nut, etc (back before ivory was a big no-no.)

Time to give some luthiers in town a call....

You've just made me a very jealous man =O That is one beautiful and increasingly unique instrument.

Yeah, I can't believe I still haven't gotten around to getting it fixed up. Anyway, sorry for thread derailment.
    My pick-up toggle switch has 3 modes: Swank, Extra Swank, and Super Swank

Eh, I think that falls under reasons to learn classical guitar =P So i don't think you've derailed the thread so much as continued the conversation at a different angle.

At any rate... The certainly would motivate me to learn classical guitar O.o

Awesome sitar, Funk-n-Stein! I'll be traveling in that part of the world, and want to see if I can find a no-kidding instrument like that one. Then I'll just need someone to teach me how to play it when I get back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast