Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did any one else learn to play a song differently? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Did any one else learn to play a song differently?

So I just picked up some of the older DLC and was really excited because I already knew Barracuda. After playing it a couple times I noticed that the way I learned from one of those artist approved transcription books is drastically different than the way it is taught in Rocksmith. Pretty much the palm muting gallop is right but everything else is different. Don't get me wrong, I understand the way Heart plays the song requires harmonic bending and use of feedback, but it seems overly different to me. I love playing Rocksmith, but I wonder if the way the programmers chose to replicate the tracks has surprised anyone else.

I realize I am splitting hairs but I wondered if any one else had the same experience. Discuss!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I learned a different fingering for the main riff in "Sunshine of Your Love" that doesn't require that bizarre fret change. Also, if you watch the official video for "When I'm With You" by Best Coast, you'll see the guitarist play the solo completely differently than the way RS charted it. It's all good.

I had the same experience with Sweet Home Alabama; some of it is what part they're charting, which isn't always (at least as far as I can tell) the same guitarist all the way through.

I can see that with Skynyrd--they had, what?, 27 guitarists at their peak?

I wondered about Sunshine of You Love... It seems strange to change positions so much when you could leave your hand in the same position to play the riff. It is all good. Honestly the way Rocksmith chose to do Barracuda is much easier than how you play it if you were in Heart.

I learned this song about 20 years ago from the "guitar school" magazine. It's pretty much the same from what I remember. Which parts are you talking about that are different?

I just take RS's word for it. . . At least until I start recognizing that, hey!, I can play that exact same note here instead of there. Then, if making a change in position works for me, I play it my way. It's sort of subjective on an instrument where you can play the exact same note in 2 or 3 different places (or more). So, I'm not sure I buy into the idea that there's necessarily one correct way to play any song. Even in those "artist-approved" tab books, just because the artist OK'ed a particular tab arrangement doesn't mean he played it that way himself - or, even if he did, that it's the best way to play it.

This issue also came up and was discussed at length with regard to the chords in Surf Hell. Seemed like some videos of Little Barrie playing that song showed him fretting chords in totally different locations. And, for sure, he used his thumb to hit the F on the 6th string! Might work for him, but I couldn't make it work.

The way I played Sweet Home Alabama is way different than in the game, and in my opinion makes more sense That said, I didn't really learn it from a formal transcription.

Also, More than a Feeling I learned from the Rock Band pro guitar tab which feels better than the RS version to me.

I always loved to play Free bird and Sweet home Alabama , but after i got Rocksmith i found out that i was playing them all wrong, it makes me think of a saying i read before it goes ( Practice makes Permanent ), meaning that if you practice something in correctly then you will burn that into your muscle memory and never learn it correctly and if you do want to relearn it well not be as easy as if you just learned it correctly the first time, i guess its better late than never

Thank you RockSmith for showing me what i was doing wrong so i could fix it .
    Last edited by crispyfunk; 04-12-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyfunk View Post
    ( Practice makes Permanent ), meaning that if you practice something in correctly then you will burn that into your muscle memory.
    Ever notice that it's way easier to learn something new, than unlearn something that you know but is wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast