Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: failed game tries to sue Ubisoft's Rocksmith | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
    Man, drawing all those fret boards seems like a really inefficient way to manage graphics!
    Is it graphics or is it just on a dvd?
    I mean... its graphics, but its just on a dvd right? So no need for a GPU to draw it, they could have hand drawn all of it for the same effect.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The patent was from 2010. Rocksmith was developed from a game called Guitar Rising that released a demo in 2009.

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Braintrust18 View Post
    The patent was from 2010. Rocksmith was developed from a game called Guitar Rising that released a demo in 2009.
    BWAHAHAHA! I call that a win in my book.

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikpet View Post
    I mean... its graphics, but its just on a dvd right? So no need for a GPU to draw it, they could have hand drawn all of it for the same effect.
    Yea, that one just seems like a waste of money on their part.

All it appears to be is an instructional DVD you pay big bucks to access on line. All they did is take out the guitar parts of songs and add a very confusing tablature to the page. You could be playing the wrong part the whole time and never know because there is no interaction from the system.
    Vox made a small speaker that connects to the computer and removes the guitar part from any MP3 you want. It was sold for only around $80. You could purchase one of those and look up tabs online and be further ahead than with guitar apprentice.
    http://www.jamvox-online.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikpet View Post
    I guess I did not pay close enough attention. I assumed it would dynamically highlight the notes played, like RS.

Either way, changing pixels is changing pixels, and the fewer changed, the more efficient.

I guess if it is just a pre-rendered video then it don't matter (as much), but that would just plain suck.
    Last edited by rcole_sooner; 04-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Every week Gibson posts a new song from GA here: http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skill...pprentice.aspx
    They render out the videos a head of time - so you are playing 1 of 5 different levels of songs at one of 3 speeds. They are all covers. I can not handle the upside down tab OR the density, but i do use the note name on the right to learn the fretboard. Do not use their player, it is dreadful - some of the worst software i have ever used. On the upside, it will run on very modest hardware and the slowed down audio is pretty good. the also show the L and R hands which can be helpful when learning something new.

I found it in the fall waiting for RS... i only continue to use it as i am still waiting for RS.

The patent is for progressive learning of music on a computing device, i think. given that progressive learning on computers goes back to about the beginning of computers, i am guessing that did it with music.

the other thing is that they are all slightly different than the original, and while they have the title from the original, they rarely state the original artist. I would be surprised if they had any permission from the original artist.

i apologize for the double post, but wouldn't RB3 Pro, or even RB1-2 drums be prior art? Harmonix launched RB3 Oct 26, 2010 and demoed it way before that. How could you sue RS but not RB?
    Last edited by RockinPC; 04-10-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braintrust18 View Post
    As RockinPC suggests, this patent would be dismissed in court because publicly-accessible demonstrations of both Guitar Rising and Rock Band 3 would count as prior art and they both pre-date the filing of this troll patent.

Quote Originally Posted by raynebc View Post
    As RockinPC suggests, this patent would be dismissed in court because publicly-accessible demonstrations of both Guitar Rising and Rock Band 3 would count as prior art and they both pre-date the filing of this troll patent.
    I must have missed the "art." All I saw was something that looked an awful lot like either the conveyor belt where my kids sell aluminum cans or the open end of an escalator.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast