Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those with tremolo bridges and are having issues with tuning down | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Don't know if I'd say my Ibanez s770's Zero Point tremolo has "massive tuning issues". Haven't used any other types though so can't judge them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have one installed in my "licensed" floyd rose. It's a pretty cool product. Hardtail, dive-only, and full-float settings with a few thumbscrews. I use it for different tunings. Just turn it to hardtail settings and it acts just like a fixed bridge.

Only drawback for me was that after it was installed, i couldn't get the backplate back on. Not a big deal (you could modify it to get it to fit).

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    How do you like your PRS? I'm considering one for my next guitar, if I don't go with something boutique.

I love it. I have a Santana SE. It was my second ever guitar. I've tinkered with it a bit, swapping the pickups for emg zakk wylde 81/85s, and now it's a beast. I put .10s on it and the bridge tilts under the pressure so that's when I found the tremol-no. Now that i have my les paul, i plan to use the prs for my drop turnings, and may go to .11s. With the emgs it should really be ballsy with .11s. It's become a Frankenstein but I've had it for 10 yrs so it was time for some changes.
    I post from my iPad most of the time so forgive the typos!

Running RS14 on PS3 and on Macbook:

Mavericks
    2.3mhz intel core i7
    8G ram
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 384MB - built in
    Nvidia GT 650 512mb

Guitars/Amps/Gear
    PRS Santana SE - modded with EMG 81/85 active pups, locking tuners, Tremol-NO
    PRS SE 245
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus - classic 57 pups
    Gibson 1941 J-35
    Marshall DSL40C
    Boss TU-3
    Boss GE-7
    Boss DD-7
    mxr phase 90
    mxr micro flanger
    mxr smart gate
    crybaby 535q wah

Yeah, mthomas87, the D-tuna is whole point. They have tuners that will also do drop D, for those without a tremolo bridge.

if i don't want to use a floating bridge a just switch guitars...

Yep, I have not used one of of my Tremolo equipped guitars with RS yet. I have them all set to various tunings, but RS tuning is slightly different than my tuners, and I don't want to mess with them. Especially not my Floyds. I love Floyds, but once they are set, I don't like to change them.

I use my EVH Wolfgang all the time with the game, no issues going to drop d or not using drop d, doesn't matter stays in tune great, like I said it all depends on the quality of instrument and tremolo installed on it whether it'll hold a tune or not hold a tune. Can't expect miracles from a cheap guitar, it's cost is low for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    How do you like your PRS? I'm considering one for my next guitar, if I don't go with something boutique.

I bought a PRS SE Paul Allender special edition when Samash.com had them on stupid sale. I love that guitar. The trem doesn't affect my tuning at all. I just don't put the bar in. The inlays are huge down the neck, but you can't even feel them. It's a solid axe. One thing, though, is that it's heavy as hell compared to my Fender Strat... I go back to the Strat for long sessions just to keep my shoulder from hurting.

If I understand correctly, trems that dive only can be tuned down with no problem. The trem is built so that it never tilts backward. Therefore, when tension is released from the strings, the trem doesn't move backwards because it's built not to. I believe tuning up could be a problem.

As far as the floyd rose, the quality won't change your difficulties in alternate tuning and it has nothing to do with tuning stability. If you loosen tension in the strings, the trem will start to tilt backwards. It's really not a huge deal, the change is barely noticeable, but you may have to retune the rest of the strings.

Now, if you were to REALLY detune it, like a full step down or drop-c, you need to adjust the tension on the trem. It's not extremely difficult, but takes time and patience. I hate it (really tedious work).

Basically, a guitar with a floyd rose is made for staying in one tuning. That's why i bought the tremel-no; best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by etter157 View Post

As far as the floyd rose, the quality won't change your difficulties in alternate tuning and it has nothing to do with tuning stability. I
    The quality makes a huge difference,I wouldn't even buy a guitar with a FR copy unless I was going to resell it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast