Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alamut 1938 Ebook in English | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Cast of Characters Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Story Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Experience #2 Customization & Co-op [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Season Pass Trailer [US]

Alamut 1938 Ebook in English

Hey guys just finnished my ACR yesterday and started reading up on stuff about Assassins. So i came across this book Alamut (1938) by vladimir bartol, i checked out some of its contents that are available on google books and i must say it really is a classic and its more interesting than the AC games (different plotlines yeah).

http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=...epage&q&f=true

Now i am going mad with curiosity and suspense but cant find the full ebook thats translated in English to read it all. I have got my hands on two of them and one of em is in Spanish and one is in Arabic.

So if someone's got a link or something on it please help me here.

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hey ash,

I also have been trying to find an electronic copy of the novel for some days now with no success. I've looked in all the usual places: Google, Project Gutenber, B&N, apple, amazon (B&N and Amazon have paperback copies)... I thought, given the age of the book, I'd at least find a free ebook in Gutenberg but it seems the first English translation was made around 2005(?)

The only interesting material I've found is an English article (from the "Government Communication Office of Slovenia"?) with a short biography on Bartol, and a very condensed summary of the novel which you can pretty much get from wikipedia:
    http://www.ukom.gov.si/fileadmin/uko..._of_Alamut.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamut_(1938_novel)

As in the game, the novel's maxim/motto ("the supreme Ismali motto") is: "nothing is true, everything is permitted". So, I suppose this novel was a major source of influence for the ubi team behind the franchise. As you point out, the novel seems quite interesting and well researched. I'm putting in a request to apple for a copy as I wouldn't mind paying for it but it looks like for the time being I'll have to get a paperback.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything else.

As a side question, does anybody happen to know what and/or who inspired ubi to create the AC franchise? Where did ubi get the idea of combining Alamut assassins with alien gods and Mayan end of the world? Links, articles, or video are appreciated.

I've posted this in the other section of the forum, so here it is again. Note that i have no answers regarding Ebooks, but i can offer some advice if you plan to buy the real Alamut book:

Alamut is one of the most translated books to english in the world, so i'm 100% sure you have it in your local library. I'm sure if you can't go there, you know someone who can go get if for you. don't know much about finding ebooks but Alamut really is one of the best books. It has everything *SOME MIGHT CONSIDER THIS AS SPOILERS (mark the text to see)*: war, real love, forced love, sneaky assassinations, misguiding of leaders, the question of religion

I would recommend the read!

Here is my tip if you are looking to buy the paperback book: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Alam.../9781556436819

free shiping, 37% discount as there is a special offer on the site at the moment. I buy books from that site frequently and the service is great, not to mention the cheap prices

/greetings from slovenia
    Last edited by Scystab; 04-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.

w-why would an office of comuniaction of our corrupt and imcopetent goverment have a biography on Vladimir Bartol?!

To the books, i have not read yet, seem to be worth time. Alright so looks like imgona have to dig up my ol'library card...

@Scystab Kje pa živiš? Resno zanimivo videt še enega slovenca tukaj xD

It's a great book! I highly recommend it if you're interested in the history of the real assassin order. It's a fiction, but you'll see Bartol put so much research into this, it's amazing! Believe me, this book puts all the AC books to shame. I first discovered it after AC1 came out and thought I could give it a try and it was definitely worth it. Also, I've heard that Bartol's book was a huge inspiration for Patrice Désilets to create a game about the Assassins in the first place. The plot is completely different, but there are some similarities with AC1. Needless to say, I fangirled all over the place when I found something at least slightly similar to the game like the leap of faith, for example, or a weapon which sort of resembled the hidden blade and many other little things like these here and there.

I don't know where you could find an ebook, but I'm sure there's a hard copy in your local library or bookstore. Of course, could depend on where you live...
    "What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live! The tales we tell ourselves!"
    Subject 16, Assassin's Creed

I bought the physical copy of the book a while ago. Haven't got round to actually reading it yet but I've heard good things about it. And since it was used by the developers when making AC1 then it must be good . I think that this book was one of the books that Patrice Desilets read before coming up with AC.

'Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils' - Louis Hector Berlioz

Yes there are plenty of similarities: Leap of faith, hidden blade, Al Mualim, wall climbing AND Ubisoft made Masyaf EXACTLY like Alamut is described in the book. Also, Masyaf is mentioned in the Alamut book and Alamut is mention in the AC book, so Ubi had to use the book as their inspiration aswell

and to TrueStoic:
    Maribor Ti?

Wasn't that the original inspiration for the AC series anyway?

I do not know if anyone has suggested this book, but "The Templars and the Assassins: The militia of heaven" seems to be promising as well

Actually doing a bit of research, on Vladimir Bartol, has plagued me with a question.If Vladimir, or B., finished his book in 1937 and Ubisoft took this story as an influence; Would that not be an ironic reference to the book that, coincidentally the same year Abstergo would establishe itself as a company in 1937. >_>.....Just wanted to say that. Thank you.

EDIT: ^ that was a statement sorry <__<
    Last edited by Acrimonious_Nin; 04-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Bellum omnium contra omnes

When it's time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived.

Without freedom, there is no

difference between submission and rebellion.
    __-_-__

Quote Originally Posted by sackboy411 View Post
    Wasn't that the original inspiration for the AC series anyway?
    Well I like to think that but i haven't seen any official developer statement about it. I read only about "big influence"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast