Thread: How will CoD play on this system? | Forums

How will CoD play on this system?

What is hitting my doorstep Monday:

• Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
    • Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Processor (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
    • 8GB DDR3 Memory
    • 1GB Nvidia 550 Ti
    • Motherboard features military grade capacitors
    • Based on MSI's P67A-C43 performance motherboard

It is a Systemax SYX-1113 from Tiger Direct. The price was right, and I'm sure it will beat the heck out of my olde Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 running on WinXP SP3 with 4 gb ram, which would not render things beyond it being a slide show..

Just wondering what I can expect to look forward to.

Thanks for opinions or thoughts

Cheers

Triad
    --------------------------
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

how it runs and user expectations of how it should run are somewhat subjective, but it should run.
    However the gpu is a little on the weak side so you will struggle if you try and turn everything on full, particularly at higher res than 1080.

You probably are gonna be spending some time initially playing around to find what works for you (and probably will start wishing for a 'grunty' gpu
    -bit like when orig IL2 was released )

I concur, the video may not be up to the task. A 560 or a 480 would probably have been a better choice.

Hmm.. well thanks guys. Have to admit I am not very familiar with the new batch of video cards, but was sure the processor and memory would kick it nice. Well it's what I can afford for now, and it will be loads better than my old system. The reviews on the card were good, but they weren't playing CoD as far as I know. Figured your experiences would be the most useful.

Thanks for the feedback- I'll look at video cards in a few months maybe.

Cheers

Triad

I thought I'd report back as to how it turned out. I can run CoD on medium settings with shadows and grass enabled. Not bad at all as it does look better then the original IL-2 could. In the Windows rating, my machine's lowest score was the 1TB hard drive. It runs at 7200 rpm, and is in one partition. Considering the seek time on such a volume, I wonder if performance would be improved if the partition were smaller. It's eather that, or go for a 9600 rpm drive, or go solid state.

What do you guys think? (re; smaller partition)

Thanks

Triad

As long as the drive isn't too fragmented, seek times will rarely come into it. With 8GB of RAM and a 64bit operating system, disk access wont be happening very often.