Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with overheating! | Forums

Question Help with overheating!

Can someone help me ?

My plane no matter what is it constantly overheats, sometimes I'm climbing and I increase throttle but after like 1 minute the engine overheats and I have to stop climbing.

I heard about prop pitch and the radiator but I don't know how to use them.

A bit of a noob here !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The R key normally operates radiators by default .Forget about prop pitch until youre an 'improver'.Most planes rads can be operated at 20/40/60/80/100 % and CLOSED .German and some US planes have an 'auto' setting also which is useful.'Most' planes can fly for around 6 minutes on 'OVERHEAT' warning before irreparable engine damage which will force you to land within a few minutes (Youll hear engine grinding and generally sounding unhappy!)I generally find most planes can fly at EITHER 104% or 107% with rads 100% open for very long periods although US navy planes seem to be less willing .Even an extra 1% will overheat some yet they will happily fly all day at the lower % .Its not very realistic .The very latest 4.11 patch changes EVERYTHINg with regard to overheating and if youre using that version you will have to fly at much lower throttle and with rads open all the time .

Quote Originally Posted by ytareh View Post
    The R key normally operates radiators by default .Forget about prop pitch until youre an 'improver'.Most planes rads can be operated at 20/40/60/80/100 % and CLOSED .German and some US planes have an 'auto' setting also which is useful.'Most' planes can fly for around 6 minutes on 'OVERHEAT' warning before irreparable engine damage which will force you to land within a few minutes (Youll hear engine grinding and generally sounding unhappy!)I generally find most planes can fly at EITHER 104% or 107% wiith rads 100% open for very long periods although US navy planes seem to be less willing .Even an extra 1% will overheat some yet they will happily fly all day at the lower % .Its not very realistic .The very latest 4.11 patch changes EVERYTHINg with regard to overheating and if youre using that version you will have to fly at much lower throttle and with rads open all the time .
    Thank you, I'm using 4.10 until 4.11 is "famous". So you talked about me using the radiator to cool my engine but if I go for Complex Engine Management I will also need to mess up with the prop pitch, can you tell me more about it ?

Prop pitch acts a bit like the gearbox in a car ,it has an effect on engine rpm .By and large higher rpm means faster overheating .Lowering the prop pitch from 100% will decrease the engine arpm and aid cooling .Sometimes lowering prop pitch will help cool even faster than opening rads more .
    I still say that unless you are a VERY eager beginner that prop pitch can be left /ignored for a few months or even a year or more.Most planes will give max performance at 100% prop pitch .I do recall that the P51D gives ALMOST maximal performance at 2750rpm and 50 inches of manifold pressure .With these amazing settings you can outrun with almost impunity most axis planes as they overheat .
    Very interesting reading from Miss Strega who has flown a real P51D and used play Il2

http://deltachevron.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=85

By the way these settings also make the P51D a FAR FAR more stable plane to dive in at 800kmh +++ The P51D ingame will loose wings etc easier than most planes at relatively slow speed .The trick is to ONLY move in ONE direction at a time ie pitch , roll, yaw .

The P47D Thunderbolt USED go 12 minutes on overheat compared with other planes 6 minutes (give or take 30 secs) but this may have been fixed in a patch .

If you're overheating in 4.10, you're going to be in big trouble when you update to 4.11. Hope you get this issue sorted out.

Aviar
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Intel DP43TF Motherboard
    3GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Dual
    MSI GTX 660Ti Twin Frozr IV - 2GB
    Creative X-Fi
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    24" Acer LCD - P241W
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
    TM Tacticalboard
    GoFlight GF-T8 Module

Also keep this in mind:

The slower you are going the less cooling you are getting. High power settings at slow speed ( as in a climb ) will overheat you fast. If you can flatten out your climb the increased airspeed will help.

Also, since propeller pitch was mentioned, you need to be aware that in reality you are controlling the engine's max RPM. An optimal power/propeller setting is one where you need the least throttle to maintain whatever RPM your propeller control limits the engine. In other words, for whatever pitch you're running: Any more manifold pressure ( power ) applied than is needed to get the maximum RPM is just wasted fuel and will also result in increased heat. Do keep in mind however that what's needed for a climb is different than a level cruise or a dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviar View Post
    If you're overheating in 4.10, you're going to be in big trouble when you update to 4.11. Hope you get this issue sorted out.

Aviar
    Who says he is obligated to update to 4.11? When Oleg was in charge patches were carefully thought out and everyone ended up eventually updating to the latest revision, it was a forgone conclusion. But with TD, they often put in things we've dreamed of for years ( like AI not seeing through clouds ) but then insist on including things that ruin the game. Such as AI that bounce up and down in flight, even in formation flight. Now that is unrealistic to say the least. Pilots are not going to bob their planes up and down when they are in formation, especially tight formation. TD put that in to supposedly make up for them taking out the "see all from behind radar" that the AI used to have but I'd actually rather have the old radar than this. Because I like to fly in formation with the AI!!

Plus, I really don't like the new overheat either. Was TD inundated by requests to make the overheat more challenging? I think not, but yet they put it in while Oleg back in the day would not have even considered it unless he made it a selectable option in the 'Realism' section. But yet it's not selectable unless you set the options to take away all overheating altogether.

Also some say the AI fight a lot tougher now, but in extensive testing in QMB, I did not find the AI anything but a tiny bit tougher to fly against. And I used 'ace' settings for my tests. My average outcome four aces against four aces with 4.11 ( with quite a few plane combos ) gave me results not significantly different then when I used older patch versions with the old AI. My average result no matter the plane types is me ending up shooting down three of the four opponents and being able to fly back to base and land. This is also my average outcome with 4.11, so the AI is not really much tougher or smarter.

Bottom line, I no longer fly 4.11 but fly 4.09 with mods again and I'm loving it. Let's face it, TD is doing more to fragment and divide the community than anything else because they are taking too many chances by making big changes. And putting in good with bad and they also apparently assume too much as to what people really want. They don't feel the pulse of the community but instead are loose cannons putting in what they want, not what we want as a community. If TD disbanded I'd go out and have a beer in celebration.
    Last edited by mortoma; 04-09-2012 at 01:25 AM.

I currently use 4.101 because of SAS Modact (some of you problably know it)

Quote Originally Posted by mortoma View Post
    Who says he is obligated to update to 4.11? When Oleg was in charge patches were carefully thought out and everyone ended up eventually updating to the latest revision, it was a forgone conclusion. But with TD, they often put in things we've dreamed of for years ( like AI not seeing through clouds ) but then insist on including things that ruin the game. Such as AI that bounce up and down in flight, even in formation flight. Now that is unrealistic to say the least. Pilots are not going to bob their planes up and down when they are in formation, especially tight formation. TD put that in to supposedly make up for them taking out the "see all from behind radar" that the AI used to have but I'd actually rather have the old radar than this. Because I like to fly in formation with the AI!!

Plus, I really don't like the new overheat either. Was TD inundated by requests to make the overheat more challenging? I think not, but yet they put it in while Oleg back in the day would not have even considered it unless he made it a selectable option in the 'Realism' section. But yet it's not selectable unless you set the options to take away all overheating altogether.

Also some say the AI fight a lot tougher now, but in extensive testing in QMB, I did not find the AI anything but a tiny bit tougher to fly against. And I used 'ace' settings for my tests. My average outcome four aces against four aces with 4.11 ( with quite a few plane combos ) gave me results not significantly different then when I used older patch versions with the old AI. My average result no matter the plane types is me ending up shooting down three of the four opponents and being able to fly back to base and land. This is also my average outcome with 4.11, so the AI is not really much tougher or smarter.

Bottom line, I no longer fly 4.11 but fly 4.09 with mods again and I'm loving it. Let's face it, TD is doing more to fragment and divide the community than anything else because they are taking too many chances by making big changes. And putting in good with bad and they also apparently assume too much as to what people really want. They don't feel the pulse of the community but instead are loose cannons putting in what they want, not what we want as a community. If TD disbanded I'd go out and have a beer in celebration.
    Disagree with everything you've written (as normal). Make your own thread to whine in about how you hate 4.11 cause your plane overheats now when you fly full power settings, whaaaa whaaaaaa

To the OP, overheat is ridiculously easy to manage pre 4.11, all you have to do is drop your pitch a little, drop the power below 100% and open your radiators and you will get rid of the engine overheat message, once done you can slam everything to max, run overheat until you get to the time limit (between 2-10 mins depending on the plane) that actual damage starts to occur, reduce power get rid of the message which resets the 'damage clock' and run full power again. Rince and repeat over and over......

Really realistic.
    Last edited by thefruitbat; 04-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Wow, Mort. Got a real axe to grind agianst the TD boys eh?

You're so typical of so many I read on all these forums; your sense of entitlement and the out-of-the-pram throwing of your toys when things don't go your way. It's like some spoilt child syndrome infecting the community, if not society at large and it's getting worse and worse.

Let me remind you that the TD guys are all volunteers; they try and improve the game IN THEIR OWN TIME AND WITHOUT PAY. Now maybe you don't like what they've done. Fair enough, that's your opinion, you are well entitled to it.

Where you cross the line is insinuating some incompetance or deliberate sabotaging to pork the game and fracture the community. That's not only inaccurate but a slap to the face of those who do so much for the benefit of us all - insulting, disrespectful and most of all ignorant.

If you have some greivance with the new overheat modelling, then I suggest you gather your evidence - cos you just gotta have so much hard data on this stuff since you seem to know so much about it, n'est pas? - and send it off to TD for their consideration.

And don't tell me I'm talking BS - I've done this, I have presented evidence to them that I thought highlighted an error and it got changed.

The difference is that I had the manners, werewithall and the data to back up my theories.

You just have a pi$$y attitude and theories you can't prove.

You want to go play 4.09 with mods, you go do that. Those of us with the capacity to accept and adapt to tthe challenge of adjusted overheat settings will be better off without people of your calibre.

Good riddance.

EDIT:

Oh and BTW, I am led to understand you had quite some vendetta against the mods when they first appeared? Quite vitriolic too? How how the mighty have turned, it seems.
    Last edited by tomtheyak; 04-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Tom

Flying online with the DangerDogz:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast