Thread: can't find disc error | Forums

can't find disc error

i just installed Myst3 Exile on my pc, and after playing it for a while it gives a error when i try to start it now.
    as soon as i run the application to start Myst3, i get a error message telling me to insert the correct CD-ROM disc, while the disc is clearly in the pc.
    i tryed restarting the pc and also taking the disc out, clean it and put it back inside.
    i also tryed reinstalling the game, and it worked for a while, but the 2 days later when i tryed to run it again it gave the same error message.

any advice or help?

cheers,
    Wesley
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install Exile to your C: drive only, NOT to an external E-SATA or USB hard drive.
    -- b. Start Exile from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. (If you're not certain if you have Administrator privileges, open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Exile.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a disc in the drive.
    -- d. Disconnect all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard before starting Exile.
    -- e. Start Exile using the Desktop icon, NOT a menu item on the disc.
    ----- 1. If the Exile disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.

Always start Exile by doing steps b through e.

Questions:

1. Which operating system are you running - Win XP, Vista, or Win 7?

2. Do you have Exile on CD's, or a DVD that's part of the 10th Anniversary DVD Edition, or is it an electronic download? If a download, from which supplier did you download?

3. How old is your DVD or CD drive?

4. Are you having *any* other disc-related problems (reading discs, installing programs, etc.)?
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall_G View Post
    Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install Exile to your C: drive only, NOT to an external E-SATA or USB hard drive.
    -- b. Start Exile from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. (If you're not certain if you have Administrator privileges, open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Exile.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a disc in the drive.
    -- d. Disconnect all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard before starting Exile.
    -- e. Start Exile using the Desktop icon, NOT a menu item on the disc.
    ----- 1. If the Exile disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.

Always start Exile by doing steps b through e.

Questions:

1. Which operating system are you running - Win XP, Vista, or Win 7?

2. Do you have Exile on CD's, or a DVD that's part of the 10th Anniversary DVD Edition, or is it an electronic download? If a download, from which supplier did you download?

3. How old is your DVD or CD drive?

4. Are you having *any* other disc-related problems (reading discs, installing programs, etc.)?
    1: i got a Win 7 pc.
    2: its a Windows CD-Rom
    3: less then 1 year old
    4: not at all

thanks

Suggestions:

1. Download and install the latest Win 7 drivers for your system. Don't just assume that you already have the latest drivers - check it! And be certain to download the appropriate packages, 64-bit or 32-bit, depending on which Win 7 version you're running. Reboot after installation of each driver package is complete.
    -- a. For video drivers:
    ----- 1. If you have integrated graphics (video chipset on the motherboard), go to your PC or motherboard manufacturer's website to download the latest video driver package. Especially if you have a laptop.
    ----- 2. If you have a separate video card, go to the card manufacturer's website to download the latest video driver package.
    -- b. For sound drivers:
    ----- 1. If you have integrated sound (sound chipset on the motherboard), go to your PC or motherboard manufacturer's website to download the latest sound driver package. Especially if you have a laptop.
    ----- 2. If you have a separate sound card, go to the card manufacturer's website to download the latest sound driver package.
    -- c. For mouse and touchpad drivers:
    ----- 1. If you have a laptop, go to the manufacturer's website for the latest touchpad and mouse driver package(s).
    ----- 2. If you have a desktop and it came with a desktop-manufacturer-branded mouse, go to the manufacturer's website for the latest mouse driver package.
    ----- 3. If you bought your mouse separately, go to the mouse manufacturer's website for the latest driver package.

When all drivers are updated, start Exile from a fresh boot as per steps b through e under "in general", above. If updating drivers doesn't help, proceed to the next suggestion.

2. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the Exile Program Files folder (e.g., "C:\Program Files\Myst III Exile" or "C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Myst III Exile").
    -- a. Right click on \Myst III Exile > Properties > Security tab.
    -- b. Click on Edit, and select the Users group.
    -- c. Under Permissions for Users and in the Allow column, select Full Control by clicking on the box to put a check in it.
    -- d. Click on Apply > OK.
    -- e. Reboot, and start Exile from a fresh boot as per steps b through e under "in general", above.

If updating permissions doesn't help, proceed to the next suggestion.

3. Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, and try all of the modes under "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?" See Make older programs run in this version of Windows.
    -- a. You can also make compatibility setting changes manually.
    ----- 1. Click on "> To change compatibility settings manually" in Make older programs run in this version of Windows, and read through all of the options.
    ----- 2. Various combinations of options are usually necessary.

4. Run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter and use it to re-install Exile. See
    Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details, in particular, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ...."
    -- a. First, uninstall Exile using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs utility.
    ----- 1. See Uninstall or change a program for details.
    ----- 2. If you can't find the Add or Remove Programs utility, see Turn Windows features on or off.
    -- b. Reboot, and re-install Exile using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter ("If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ....").
    ----- 1. Select Windows 98 / Windows ME for "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?"
    ----- 2. Install Exile to your C: drive.

When re-installation is complete, reboot, and start Exile from a fresh boot as per steps b through e under "in general", above.
    Last edited by Heimdall_G; 04-07-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Step 1 and 2 did the job, thaks alot!!

You're welcome.

Enjoy Exile!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi