Thread: Will this system play COD? | Forums

Will this system play COD?

I have not played in quite some time as my old system started having trouble with 1946 and I haven't been able to afford a new comp. A friend of mine has a Dell Optiplex 745 he can give me for free! It is the Pentium D 3.4GHZ Dual Core 64 bit. It has 2 gigs DDR2 SD 800mhz and on board video and sound and Windows XP Pro.
    If I add a new video and sound card and 2 more gigs of ram do you think this machine will run COD?I did a little research and it looks like the Radeon XFX HD 6670 is the recommended card for this machine. I should be able to get everything to upgrade it for around $150. If its not going to work I'd rather save my money. Any advice is much appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

From http://ubisoft-en.custhelp.com/app/a...Mm8yXzduSms%3D :
    IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover system requirements

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3
    PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+
    (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)
    RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
    VIDEO CARDirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
    DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)
    DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X
    SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    HARD DISK: 10GB
    PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)
    MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:

ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
    NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480
    The Optiplex 745 mini-tower is not a huge case, make sure any graphics card you buy will fit in the available space (from http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/optiplex-745/pd ):
    Slots
    2 full height PCI
    -(H: 4.2" X L: 11")
    1 PCIe x16 full height graphics,
    -(H: 4.2" X L: 9")

1 PCIe x1 full height
    -(H: 4.2" X L: 9")
    The desktop version doesn't have full height slots at all and you will have difficulty finding a supported video card for the game to fit.

I recommend a graphics card up at the top of the range of supported cards or one of the newer cards that's been released since. If you go for nVidia, choose one that's 60 or higher in the series (i.e. 460, 470, 480, 560, 570, 580, 590, 660, 670, 680). The numbers lower than 60 (450, 540, 550 etc) are much less likely to be satisfactory and in the case of the 4xx series are specifically excluded from the supported cards list. I'm not familiar with how the ATI designations work but would expect that a similar caution would apply. At any rate, the 6670 you mention is not in the supported cards list and at best would only give marginal perfomance even if the game runs with it.

For RAM, try to get at least 1GB on the graphics card (more is better) and at least 4GB system RAM.
    As the computer is running Windows XP, I also recommend getting Win7 64bit. Not only does CoD run heaps better on Win7, but going to 64 bit will allow full use of 4GB and even more if you can afford it. I'm running 6GB and can see from how the game runs that I would get better game performance with even more.
    Last edited by Tully__; 04-07-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Tully! I think I'm gonna give it a try. For $150 or less I'll at least have a system I can play 1946 on again! I can't even do that anymore with the ancient piece of junk I have now! Hopefully things will pick up and then I can build a decent gaming comp again, but at the least I'll be able to fly 1946 until then!

Ive a way better machine (E8600 at 4.4GHz and GTX295 with 3 gigs ram on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and Ive TEMPORARILY abandoned ClOD .Its just not running right for anything other than a sight seeing flight or knocking hell out of unarmed bombers in my opinion.There a new pacth out which is supposed to optimise and speed up the game in , eh , about two weeks !If I were you Id sell the machine you have ,you may get a moderate price for it based on the Dell name and then reinvest the proceeds in (perhaps secondhand/used) hardware to build a more high spec pc .