Thread: Magazine Dump | Forums

Magazine Dump

In GRO, when you fire your rifle until lock back and reload, your character will make a magazine change and then use the charging handle to release the bolt. This is incorrect. It is only necessary to use the charging handle when the bolt is not locked back; locking the bolt back to clear a stoppage. All you need to do - and should do - is gas up and smack the paddle.

Any chance the Devs will circle back on this?

Or you could gas up and release the bolt manually. It really doesn't matter which you do.

Yes, using the paddle is usually more effective and slightly faster but it really depends on the position you're reloading from and what your access to the weapon features is like.

Not all operators in the world are like Chris Costa!
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Tom Clancy's The Division

Forum Rules
    Sig, Avatar, & Image Guidelines

Official Website
    Official Facebook
    Official Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer852 View Post
    Or you could gas up and release the bolt manually. It really doesn't matter which you do.

Yes, using the paddle is usually more effective and slightly faster but it really depends on the position you're reloading from and what your access to the weapon features is like.

Not all operators in the world are like Chris Costa!
    Mr. Costa is a former USCG ME MSST. Many Operators are just like him.

Using the paddle is considerably faster and it is how these weapon systems were designed to be run. If you gas up and smack the paddle you do not ever leave fire control and you are able to keep your sight picture. In any case, use of the paddle will always be faster. You'd only use the charger if you need to put a round into battery when the bolt is forward. Not to mention there is a probabily that you may miss the charger all together when your motor skills go caveman on you. Drawing the charger is 3 motions: charger latch; charger draw; charger release. 3 motions is not as quick as, one motion: using the paddle to release the bolt.

I do not personally know anyone who uses the charger to release the bolt, simply because it is far less efficient than using the paddle.

The Devs fixed the capped carbines - I do not see any reason that they could not address this. Unless of course, they just do not want to.

That being said, sure, you could take your time and leisurely draw the charger to release the bolt.
    Last edited by Agent.Ruse; 04-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.

I agree this should be changed for immersion's sake, but more bothersome is seeing the full front end of weapons through scopes with any degree of magnification. There are definitely some flaws that look stupid when playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent.Ruse View Post
    Mr. Costa is a former USCG ME MSST. Many Operators are just like him.

Using the paddle is considerably faster and it is how these weapon systems were designed to be run. If you gas up and smack the paddle you do not ever leave fire control and you are able to keep your sight picture. In any case, use of the paddle will always be faster. You'd only use the charger if you need to put a round into battery when the bolt is forward. Not to mention there is a probabily that you may miss the charger all together when your motor skills go caveman on you. Drawing the charger is 3 motions: charger latch; charger draw; charger release. 3 motions is not as quick as, one motion: using the paddle to release the bolt.

I do not personally know anyone who uses the charger to release the bolt, simply because it is far less efficient than using the paddle.

The Devs fixed the capped carbines - I do not see any reason that they could not address this. Unless of course, they just do not want to.

That being said, sure, you could take your time and leisurely draw the charger to release the bolt.
    Again, depends on the weapon system and if you're holding it left or right handed.

Holding a SCAR left-handed with the charging-handle on the right side? Much easier to pop the bolt back and let it slam itself forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dmallon589 View Post
    I agree this should be changed for immersion's sake, but more bothersome is seeing the full front end of weapons through scopes with any degree of magnification. There are definitely some flaws that look stupid when playing.
    I agree about weapon zoom. You shouldn't be able to see the front of ANY firearm with anything over 4x magnification.
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Tom Clancy's The Division

Forum Rules
    Sig, Avatar, & Image Guidelines

Official Website
    Official Facebook
    Official Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer852 View Post
    Again, depends on the weapon system and if you're holding it left or right handed.

Holding a SCAR left-handed with the charging-handle on the right side? Much easier to pop the bolt back and let it slam itself forward.

I agree about weapon zoom. You shouldn't be able to see the front of ANY firearm with anything over 4x magnification.

Negative.

Thousands of shooters switch shoulders constantly, be that INF, LEO, 3 Gun etc. - shoulder to shoulder shouldn't be much of an issue. If it is, you should get out and work on running your weapon on both shoulders. If nothing else, it's fun as well as another tool in the shed.

Running the charger is never as efficient as using the paddle for sending the bolt home. Multiple motions will never be as efficient as one motion - especially if you are breaking your cheek weld and in the case of an M4/16 pulling your face back so you don't crack yourself in the nose...since your nose is on or very close to the T. If you are on your left should you can hit the paddle with your index finger. If you honestly have trouble getitng to the paddle...run a BAD. On the Mk 16/17 the paddle is on the left of the lower - same as the M4. Why you would choose to introduce more motions with caveman dexterity is, well, your choice entirely. More motions are never more efficient than one motion. Also, the Mk 16/17 is somewhat of a flawed design. If you touch the charger on them while the weapon is cycling, what happens? It stops firing. Most people who are right shouldered and are running a Mk 16/17s flip the charger to the starboard side of the weapon for good reason: so that they can get a nice thumb break grip and not have to worry about their reaction arm interfering with the reciprocating charger. If you are left shouldered and you set the charger on the starboard side - do not be surprised by a stoppage at an innoportune time.

As far as GRO goes - the characters are suppose to be, "Ghosts" who operate under the Department of the Army. It would be safe to assume that the characters have, at least, extensive 11Bang-Bang backgrounds or equivilent from other services before they made selection to become a, "Ghost." Assuming these things, it would be safe to also assume the Ghosts run thier weapons systems the most efficient way possible.

Someone who remembers the entire Ghost Recon story line would probably know better than I would though.

At any rate, it was something that I had noticed. When I saw that the Devs corrected the capped carbines I figured I would bring up weapon manipulation. I also know that it is not very likely that the Devs will correct this particular issue.

I also think that the bi pods should be retracted when they are not in use. Again, I do not think it is too likely that the Devs are gong to address this issue.
    Last edited by Agent.Ruse; 04-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Why would you ever use the charging handle for releasing the bolt? That's why the paddles were created in the first place.
    IGN: JonoBurr