Thread: After three days | Forums

After three days

My sentence summary of this game:

A frustratingly broken game with the most horrific matchmaking on the internet and the potential to be a great new game.

This shouldn't even be in closed beta. It's by no means playable. I swear every mission I'm put in I get four to six teammates that are below level three and recon, and we're against a team of six level 15-30s. It's happening at seriously above 80% of the missions I join. We get nowhere, we get **** on, the teams switch sides, we get **** on again. Go back, wait 4 minutes to find a match, get paired against 3/4ths of the team that just stepped on my face the game prior, then I get all red faced and rage quit for the day.

The appeal of rewards at open beta and the desire to continue to give input and feedback on how I feel the game should be improved keeps me wanting to give this game a chance, but right now I find this game to be the polar opposite of enjoyable to play.

Yes, I'm typing this after playing for 12 minutes (5 of which spent looking for a game) and then exiting out of the game due to crap match ups.

/rage

EDIT: OH MAN, In my furious attempt to type this post I forgot to mention REGISTRATION! I think it's just gotten worse every time I log in? I'll allow the fact that I'm playing from Hawaii (albeit I'm on 50/5 internet, so it's not slow) to be half the reason for how rarely shots actually register on people's faces, but let's be real here. The ability for this game to detect the fact that I just popped your dome apart is 50/50 at best. There are some people so bad they'll let me sit there and fire four to five perfectly still shots at their face without moving in the slightest bit. Why would I need four or five shots anyway with the SRS? Why, because the first three to four pass safely through their brains and evaporate into thin air!

This game needs some serious help in the bullet registration department.
    Last edited by dmallon589; 04-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.

I'm hoping for a little insight on these issues. To me they're complete game-breakers. I see a lot of potential in this game as a F2P above most any other game out there, but there are a few things that are QUICKLY going to drag this down.

50Mbps Down/5Mbps Up has nothing to do with ping. You're on Hawaii, you're ping is going to be crap, and ping is all that really matters in this game (and most games). You don't need overly fast speeds to play games online, you just need a good latency/ping to the server. Network lag is always caused by ping, not speed (however speed can influence ping, if you're maxing your speeds with other stuff your ping will increase).

Basically, you're comparing throughput to response time. They're not the same, at all.

I'm willing to bet most/all of your issues are stemming from this.
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Tom Clancy's The Division

Forum Rules
    Sig, Avatar, & Image Guidelines

Official Website
    Official Facebook
    Official Twitter

You're right, I must be basing this on the only online shooter I've ever played over the internet from Hawaii.

Obviously I understand that my ping suffers playing from Hawaii, but I play several shooters and get by with relatively playable latency and registration. All games get their registration problems, but this game is NOTICEABLE by most of my friends that have played it, most of them being on the east coast, not Hawaii.

There is a game breaking level of bad registration in this game. It's worse than it should be, and among all of the clumsy close range shooting mechanics that limit your ability to react quickly (because your character still won't) it's even more frustrating when someone is standing perfectly still (as am I) and my shot passes straight through them without registering. If that was a latency issue, the only reason I would miss is if they moved and it registered my shot after the fact.

If it was live I would easily just dismiss this game as "potentially good, but completely broken", but as it's still in closed beta I'm simply posting this as something they should at least try to address.

Although I not sure if I am at all right on this I just think its going to be harder for you to play with relatively low ping because you are so far away. Most people playing on these dedicated servers(or are they P2P - not sure) are mainland U.S. Also since the population of this beta is so low already I assume it will be even harder for you to find more than 5-10 people who are compatible with your ping.
    I am really sorry that its difficult to play and hope the open beta will offer you better games (or whatever they need to do to provide your area with lower ping - nearby server maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by dmallon589 View Post
    You're right, I must be basing this on the only online shooter I've ever played over the internet from Hawaii.

Obviously I understand that my ping suffers playing from Hawaii, but I play several shooters and get by with relatively playable latency and registration. All games get their registration problems, but this game is NOTICEABLE by most of my friends that have played it, most of them being on the east coast, not Hawaii.

There is a game breaking level of bad registration in this game. It's worse than it should be, and among all of the clumsy close range shooting mechanics that limit your ability to react quickly (because your character still won't) it's even more frustrating when someone is standing perfectly still (as am I) and my shot passes straight through them without registering. If that was a latency issue, the only reason I would miss is if they moved and it registered my shot after the fact.

If it was live I would easily just dismiss this game as "potentially good, but completely broken", but as it's still in closed beta I'm simply posting this as something they should at least try to address.
    it is very much a latency issue.
    I live in central US and my hit reg is fine,as is my clan mates playing, on the east coast from Maine to Florida,all is good.
    A couple in CAli complain of lag.
    if you were connecting to a server in say CALI it would be semi ok...your only 3000 miles..
    but these test servers are in NY some 7000 miles from you,your ping is probably 250+
    AMD FX6100@4.2,,MSI 890,,8gigs Gskill,,,2 6870's,,,2 crucial m4 64gigs in Raid0

I play APB on the east coast server as that's where I'm originally from, that game runs like crap, the servers are terrible, and the optimization in that game is awful. I register MUCH better in that game than in GRO.

I've been in Hawaii over four years I'm familiar with the higher pings I get playing games, this isn't a new thing to me. I'm saying this game has registration problems that are obviously heavily exacerbated by my ping, but more so than I usually experience in other online shooters. I've also had two or three of my clan members that live in Massachusetts complain of the same issues especially with the sniper rifles. Maybe there's a crappy underlying game mechanic that's not apparent to us, but to me if I'm scoped in and neither myself nor the opponent are moving, the shot should hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by RaBidDoG01 View Post
    it is very much a latency issue. I live in central US and my hit reg is fine,as is my clan mates playing, on the east coast from Maine to Florida,all is good.
    It's not a latency issue it's a hit-registration and reconciliation issue, and the game has had net-code issues for three closed betas and counting... I live in the Central U.S. as well and have never pinged over 80ms to any game server in Canada... Unfortunately the game obfuscates what our real latency is and gives us colored bars making it impossible to do any objective analysis of what's going wrong which is in and of itself completely idiotic. But even in the green hitting players in the green Players can do aimed supported mag dumps and not complete a kill which should be impossible given the accuracy, range and damage scale of any of the weapons in the game.

Either the game has no hit-testing or hit-reconciliation, the net-code is dropping packets like mad, position data is not being properly reconciled -- or some combination of all of the above is prevailing frequently. Without proper network telemetry (any multi-player only game should minimally displays ping, jitter, and packet loss, and properly as a net-graph) there's no way for us, or even the Developer to tell what's going on, it's going to literally be 'hit & miss' guess work that will probably achieve nothing but move the problems around.

THANK you. I knew there were other people out there paying attention to this, and could look past the fact that I'm playing from Hawaii. Latency issues I see all the time, I jump off a high platform and take fall damage 3-4 seconds later (scares the **** out of me and I always think I'm getting shot in the ***). Someone shoots at me while I'm running, I take no damage, slide behind cover, wait a second, then die from the shots they took while I was running. I tap a few rounds into someone's face, they keep shooting me while I'm reloading, then mid reload die from the burst I gave them earlier.

THOSE are latency issues. I'm used to experiencing these things in online games from Hawaii.

When both me and my target are perfectly still, and I take one easily made shot at their dome piece, and it passes through them harmlessly, that is a clear registration issue.

Exactly... I don't know why some people feel the need to be apologists for issues with the game, or assume because they're not experiencing or just don't have the game experience to see them, and that everyone that does has left the game makes it 'not a problem'... They're not doing anyone any favors especially Ubisoft or a sustainable future for the game. What's more; hit-registration issues like this can be easily exploited, and will be if they're not addressed...

Last edited by hoak; 04-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.