Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am PEOD | Forums

I am PEOD

Duke power had to replace a lightpole that is behind or between my house and neighbors. I was at my PC when my power flicked, went off, came back on.When my PC rebooted all is does now is a constant loud beep....beep.......beep......, maybe 3 seconds in between beeps....will not boot, no disc start it up, etc..My guess is a surge and something fried it...even though I have a surge protector on it.......Makes no sense. Had to pull a PC out that is older than Wern to get on net.Course they don't claim responsibility and office said file it on my home owners......
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

That is a bummer. Hopefully, your surge protector isn't one of those $10.00 specials. Most of the higher end protectors come with a guarantee to replace anything destroyed by their product's failure in protecting your equipment. I have a surge protector on my 53" widescreen that cost me $85.00 and is about 28 inches long. The company (forgot the name offhand) guarantees to replace any losses up to $25,000.00 if their product allows a power surge to get past it and fry your electronic equipment. The one I use for my PC equipment is a "Belkin" and cost me about $39.00. It too has a replacement guarantee. You should check your surge protector paperwork to see if your PC is covered by any type of Guarantee.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)

I have a Newpoint Switcher 2000 plus and it came with a guarantee, it is downstream from a Back-ups XS 1300 APC battery backup, combined they do an excellent job of protecting my goodies. The APC cost me I think around $149.oo and the Newpoint was about $80.oo, well worth the outlay.
    Power up here in the frozen north is not the most reliable nor the most constant. I have seen it raining constant downpours and the power stays on, then when the sun starts to shine again the power goes out.
    Ontario Hydro/Hydro One are not reliable at all. Guarranteed if you don't pay your bill they will shut you off.
    Last edited by swamprat69er; 03-29-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo

I am using an old one for sure, thing came out of my old office when that company went out of business.........Netsays one continuous beep is usually ram related or a short, but tried all that......

When it comes to surge protectors for PCs or other expensive electronics, you do not want something that looks like this:

Although these are surge protectors, their "joules" protection ratings are usually so low, that they're really nothing more than a power strip with some surge protection.

This is similar to what I have protecting my computer and it's peripherals:

And this is very similar to what I have protecting my 53" Widescreen TV:
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)

Sorry to hear Mwolfe, definitely hope you can get it back up and running again. I'd keep looking into those beep codes, they truly are great (and sometimes your only) help when dealing with hardware related issues.

(And I'll throw in my $0.02)
    Not sure how computer savvy you are, but I don't think it could hurt to try swapping your RAM chip(s) around. Maybe it is possible that one of them did get zapped, if that's the case then you could probably find it with a simple process of elimination.
    Best of luck.
    Linky: My Gaming Rig
    XFire Profile: cgkstealth

IF in fact it is only a RAM problem, I have 2/4gig Patriot Sector 5 1333mhz DDR3 ram sticks here that are brand new. (Patriot doesn't work in my 'puter) They are designed for Intel P55 platforms. I got H57. IF you want them, PM me your address. I will send them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MWolfe1963 View Post
    Duke power had to replace a lightpole that is behind or between my house and neighbors. I was at my PC when my power flicked, went off, came back on.When my PC rebooted all is does now is a constant loud beep....beep.......beep......, maybe 3 seconds in between beeps....will not boot, no disc start it up, etc..My guess is a surge and something fried it...even though I have a surge protector on it.......Makes no sense. Had to pull a PC out that is older than Wern to get on net.Course they don't claim responsibility and office said file it on my home owners......
    Call the power company too. They may throw you something to quiet you down. But also see if you can find a similar power supply and try it. And someone above said reseat your ram, switch the slots or try just one at a time.

I had already tried the ram, but need to do one at a time........too lazy right now.

**** wolf,that suck's,

ENTER and VOTE in the SCREEN SHOT COMPETITION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast