Thread: Prince of Persia - Curse of the Djinn: a fanfiction | Forums

Prince of Persia - Curse of the Djinn: a fanfiction

Hi guys!

I came up with a little fan fiction I'd like to share with you in the future if you're interested. If everything goes well it will manifest in the form of a short novel this year called Prince of Persia - Curse of the Djinn. I've already written two chapters and there will be at least 15-20, will finish and polish it up in half a year I guess, so you can expect that I'll start posting it chapter to chapter by the end of June in this thread.

Here's what I can promise about Curse of the Djinn without giving away any spoilers:
    - a new Prince (he has a name) in a new universe but of course staying true to every iteration of PoP is a priority (a lot of references here and there). The main inspiration comes from the original Jordan Mechner trilogy and from The Sands of Time.
    - the story revolves around a more traditional, yet more twisted form of Djinn than what you were used to in PoP (so it has no connection with the Forgotten Sands version of Djinn, no Razia, no Ratash). You'll see some magic lamps in ways you've never imagined.
    - the style is in no way historic, it's more of a fairytale but not always has a light mood, there are stuff with deeper meaning.
    - I'm writing it in English in as simple ways I can to stay true to the fairytale formula.

I am not a professional writer and also English is not my native language but I write a lot of stuff regularly in my first language so I can promise you a quality that does not stand in the way of understanding the story. I'm also very nitpicky when it comes to doing something what I believe is a form of art so no rushed job here.

I'd really like to know your opinion about this. Should I give it a go and get to the end of what I thought up? Are you interested?
    Last edited by sanceman; 03-27-2012 at 02:38 AM.
    PoP Classic and PoP 2008 Epilogue for the PC, Ubi?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Why not? Bring it on. Good fan fiction is very hard to come by and I'll take a nice surprise any day.

EDIT: By the way, you might find this blog post by David Gaider interesting if you haven't read it already
    Last edited by mornegroth; 03-27-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Co-founder of the Deathbringers

Quote Originally Posted by mornegroth View Post
    Why not? Bring it on. Good fan fiction is very hard to come by and I'll take a nice surprise any day.

EDIT: By the way, you might find this blog post by David Gaider interesting if you haven't read it already
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing that, at least it seems like that I'm on the right track here. The thing is that I don't really read fanfiction because I always end up finding bad ones, so when this story came to my mind I started with laying down some principles (some of those I shared in the first post). I found it interesting and fun and that is a rare thing for me so that got me hopeful that maybe this will turn out good.

What a beautiful idea! I'm curious to read it!

Member of The Lightbringers Army
    The Light will not fail! Follow us on DeviantArt!

Great
    But why give the Prince a name ?

Co-founder of the mighty Lightbringers ! Join us here, on DeviantArt and on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Grafferu View Post
    Great
    Because write a long story of a nameless chapter will get you MAD! O__O belive me, I've try it, but when you must describe a scene with many characters, you can't always name him like "The Prince" or whatever, it would be repetitive and you can't use too many synonymous because it would become chaotic. Maybe you can do it for a graphic novel, but not for a writed one

Member of The Lightbringers Army
    The Light will not fail! Follow us on DeviantArt!

Quote Originally Posted by LoryBlackWolf View Post
    Because write a long story of a nameless chapter will get you MAD! O__O belive me, I've try it, but when you must describe a scene with many characters, you can't always name him like "The Prince" or whatever, it would be repetitive and you can't use too many synonymous because it would become chaotic. Maybe you can do it for a graphic novel, but not for a writed one
    True, Acolyte had no name that made her story pretty frustrating at times even though it was just a short story.

You should come up with a reason for using a nameless character in your story. You want a mysterious character? Someone that anyone can relate to? You need to hide its identity from the reader?

Whatever it is you can always use a work around to help you define the character's existence in a scene. For example: have other characters give him nicknames that you can use, write in said character's POV, allude to its physical characteristics, have other characters speak with him directly and use pronouns like "he", "him" or "his" so that when you feel the need to call for a name (like Prince) it doesn't feel as dull, etc.

However, in this case, having someone called The Prince or Joe changes basically nothing in the way you address him. It is just a word that helps identify a character.
    In the end it all comes down to what type of effect you want to convey.
    Last edited by mornegroth; 03-30-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Co-founder of the Deathbringers

Arkadaslar bu uplay neden açılmıyor bende ya Yardım edebilecek varmı ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grafferu View Post
    Great
    I think that the nameless character is one of biggest mistakes in the PoP series. I can accept that the Prince has no name in the original trilogy and in PoP 2008 because as mornegroth said very well it has a purpose. However in the SoT trilogy it has no purpose as you know everything about the Prince and those games are set in a more "realistic" fantasy world so in dialogues I just felt that it's a little bit funny that he has no name.

In my story I wanted the Prince to be characteristic because the story is all about him so I chose a name that reflects his personality. It's a bit of a spoiler, but to understand better why giving the Prince a name was important I can tell you that the story is something like "Prince of Persia meets Alice in Wonderland".

As for when I'll start posting the actual short novel here now I'm sure that it's not going to be in a finished state by the end of June. Maybe early August.