Thread: Crandall / Den Ouden | Forums

Crandall / Den Ouden

Thought I'd share this pic. It's from a Dutch newspaper. Spotted it yesterday. It shows Bruce P. Crandall in front of an Dutch Apache helicopter at airbase Gilze Rijen, Holland.
    Crandall was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. For his action at La Drang in november 1965 he received the Medal of Honor. (I believe it was the movie " we where soldiers" that shows the battle).
    The other man is Frits Den Ouden (97 years of age atm). He flew missions with the Glenn Martin B-10 bomber in the Dutch East Indies against the Japanese back in 1941/42.
    He was send to Australie before the surrender and later flew B-25 missions.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Awesome. The Apache has capabilities Crandall couldn't even dream about at the time, yet the machine can't match the heart and courage Mr. Crandall displayed. A bid =Salute= to both men for their service.
    Good hunting,
    Cajun76

Check it, bleed. Bro... was on! Didn't trip. But the folks was freakin', man. Hey, and the pilots were laid to the bone, Home. So Blood hammered out and jammed jet ship. Tightened that bad sucker inside the runaway like a mother. Sheet. - Airplane II

Just today I read in an article that Den Ouden passed away on July 31st, 98 years old. RIP

He was one of the few bearers of the MWO medal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_William_Order
    Flew Glenn Martin B-10 missions against the Japanese from Borneo and Java early 1942.
    After that he helped to train pupils at the Royal Netherlands Military Flying-School (Jackson- Mississippi).
    In 1944 he went to Australia (18 Sqn) and flew B-25 mission to New Guinea and Timor.