Thread: Is Chessmaster 11 "Online" still functional? | Forums

Is Chessmaster 11 "Online" still functional?

Just bought the game yesterday. Installed and applied patch 1.02. Added exception to firewall and all ports are open. Have even reinstalled once. No matter what I do I get Login Error 50 (Client not compatible with Server). I bought this game specifically for online content. I bought on Amazon direct download, so if it doesn't work I'm probably out what I spent. I expect this to be resolved soon or its pretty safe to say I'll be writing a letter to the BBB.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Well then you've made a mistake if you've bought this game specifically for online only. CM11 online was at fault even from the beginning of 2007 when I first bought it on release. You should've came on this very forum to search through threads in the first place. There's already a thread below yours where others, including myself have stated that online is not functioning.

I am also getting the Login Error 50. This has only started happening from the last several weeks. Before that it was working fine. But even then it's been having tons of issues. Online has very few players only max 5-10 players and most of the times 0 players online it's been like that since 2007. There are also issues where the stats don't record even though the ranked match had been completed. If online is what you are looking at, you're better off playing at sites like chess.com, playchess.com, etc.

Nobody buys Chessmaster for online only. The offline content, tutorials, academy, etc is the biggest advantage of this game.. Speaking of writing a complaint. We've been complaining about the problems for the last 5 years. Nothing has changed, you're not the first or last person who's disappointed with the Multiplayer not working. There's no guarantee that the servers will be fixed. Like all game companies. When games are old, support for these games often aren't taken seriously.

Game companies often have the tendency to shut servers down of games that are old. It is also a marketing strategy because they want us to buy newer games. I had the same experience with CM 9000 a few years ago when I bought it. Online did not work at all. But as I said, if online is what you're specifically looking at, then you will be disappointed.

Well then they're even more guilty than I thought. Will be contacting Amazon and writing to the BBB on Ubisoft's questionable behavior.

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA negadave's Avatar
    The online multiplayer functionality of Chessmaster has been discontinued.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by negadave View Post
    The online multiplayer functionality of Chessmaster has been discontinued.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    But why was it discontinued anyway? It's not like we've got a new Chessmaster title coming anytime soon. I understand this game is 5 years old. But there are older games such as Far Cry, 8 years old and the ubisoft multiplayer servers still function in that game. Plus we ain't got a new chessmaster title coming anytime soon, so there is no marketing gain for Ubisoft to close the existing online servers of this game.

Also if the CM11 online servers are permanently closed, Ubisoft should've posted in the Chessmaster news section http://chessmaster.us.ubi.com/xi/index.php informing their fans/potential customers that the servers have been closed. Otherwise newer customers who buy the game will be very disappointed. I was in the same boat as the OP when I bought CM 9000 some years ago and online was closed in the same way. I never had the opportunity to play that game once online!

Perhaps for those like myself who have bought CM11 5 years ago wouldn't mind if the servers are closed. But speaking on behalf of newer customers who have just bought the game, it will anger them. They shouldn't feel ripped off...