Thread: Is the Rhodes unlock designed to make us hate multiplayer? | Forums

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Assassin?s Creed Unity Arno Master Assassin CG Trailer [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 2

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 1

Angry Is the Rhodes unlock designed to make us hate multiplayer?

I ask because I honestly can't imagine it serving any other function beyond providing a steady stream of level 1 fodder for the level 50 players to chew up.
    Multiplayer in AC:B was mildly annoying, and after a while I simply gave up on it. I was only really ever interested in the single player game anyway.

Now I have a character just randomly strolling around multiplayer hoping to work through the eight maps needed to unlock rhodes. I gave up actively trying to participate in this nonsense after a game or two. I'm sure this thread will be filled with folks who love multiplayer and will say that I just haven't given it a chance. That's great for you, but for those of us who never really had an interest in multiplayer, forcing us to endure it like this doesn't make us somehow suddenly appreciate it. It just makes us loathe and despise it more. And by extension loathe and despise Ubisoft and the franchise that much more. I can't imagine that the people who genuinely enjoy multiplayer actually want games filled with non-players like me, who aren't even trying. Why not simply write this up as a failed experiment and unlock rhodes for us? Or at least provide servers where we can wander around all eight maps in succession and then get back to the game we want to play.

Honestly, what real purpose does punishing your players like this serve?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by goozexuplay View Post
    I'm sure this thread will be filled with folks who love multiplayer and will say that I just haven't given it a chance. That's great for you, but for those of us who never really had an interest in multiplayer, forcing us to endure it like this doesn't make us somehow suddenly appreciate it.
    No. Actually I dont give a sh* about your opinion on multiplayer. I just wonder why do you want so badly yet another set of useless missions in boring minigame within SP? It does not have ANY gameplay value. Rhodes is not even special in any way, it provides some outcome as any other city.
    BTW There is only 3 Rhodes maps in MP: Hospital, Souk and Ippocratous (there is also Dyers in DLC, but its not required for this unlock)

I suppose because I have five assassins in every other city, and rhodes just sticks out. It's for the same reason that I'm continuing to unlock data fragments, even though they stopped being of any tangible benefit after around 30 or 35.
    It's interesting (and equally frustrating) that you mention only three rhodes maps in multi, as what little information I could dig up suggested at least 7 or 8. It would be nice if they could at least confirm how many maps I have to slog through before I can get back to the real game.

God what a miserable pain in the *** this is. I just ground my way through all eight levels, moving the mouse on occasion to make sure this incredible waste of time "counted" only to find that rhodes still hasn't "unlocked." Is there even a way to know which levels I'm still missing? Do I need to play through the whole level? Or can i just keep quitting and reentering games until I finish the necessary levels?

Rhodes has only a role-playing value, considering the island was occupied by Knights Hospitaller in 14th century, became known as the Island of the Knights, and the Palace of the Grand Master survives to our days. Apart from that, there is no other reason to unlock it.
    I don't recall if it provides some special material for bombs or not. I have it unlocked because I played MP a lot last Christmas, and I suspect you need to finish each map you play in whatever mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrith View Post
    Rhodes has only a role-playing value, considering the island was occupied by Knights Hospitaller in 14th century, became known as the Island of the Knights, and the Palace of the Grand Master survives to our days. Apart from that, there is no other reason to unlock it.
    I don't recall if it provides some special material for bombs or not. I have it unlocked because I played MP a lot last Christmas, and I suspect you need to finish each map you play in whatever mode.
    Unfortunately "role-playing" is the whole reason I play the AC games. I understand that the unlock has no practical in-game benefits, I just got tired of seeing LOCKED on that city every time I logged into the Mediterranean Defense minigame, since I had every other city under my control.
    Fortunately, after going back and replaying Souk, it finally unlocked. I really hope they don't do something like this in AC3. It only convinced me that multiplayer is a worthless and annoying add-on that developers use to try and extend the life of their games.

Why "unfortunately"? We have the right to play a game any way we see fit, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I am intrigued by AC's role-playing aspect myself.
    MP is not that bad, and compared to other, true MMORGs out there, it is quite entertaining I will say, but the problem lies with the coding and scripting, not with its concept per se. I suspect there will be some "locked" content in AC III as well, as there was in AC:Brotherhood. Let's hope game developers won't screw it much.

The UPlay store is pretty **** useless, but I would have spent points to unlock Rhodes rather than waste my time with multiplayer. I ended up playing for a few hours trying to get the unlock, and I must have missed a map in there. Locking single-player content to MP play was an awful design choice compounded by no alternate method and no ability to control what maps you play.