Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand and Illustrious All-inclusive Off Topic Topic | Forums

Excellent, we seem to have hit enough points of agreement, that I feel comfortable moving forward with the story. And yes, I agree the hotel is now in another location within Now Here since the hotel's previous location didn't have an oceanfront view. After all, I don't think we should count on Brid and Bres to install an entire ocean for our benefit.

Since Murinna is now included in the group that was god-mod-rescued, Brid and Bres seem to have been targeting everyone in the mountain stronghold that was not either lycan or fae. That's why Tully, Marae, Duke, Tora, Dorian, Neko, Tasha, Jo, Murinna, Sven, and Boppy are all at the hotel (along with everyone who was at the hotel during the Pompeii incident), but Toz and his group are not. This also leaves the Vikings free to find their own way to the hotel, and inform us of our unusual location. I just wrote something to this effect, but who knows how well Boppy absorbed that info with his notoriously short attention span.

On another subject, I was recently brainstorming some ideas for why the Lycans, Seelie, Unseelie, and Nyronds have all been fighting and scheming over Now Here, and I think I stumbled on a solution for why the werewolves mysteriously transitioned from living in caves and wearing loinclothes to having a nice, suburban mountainside town, complete with all the modern conveniences. What if the Quantum Storm that brought the A&C to Now Here was not unique? I'm thinking that this Age could have some special property that causes it to draw quantum anomalies to it, like honey draws flies. So whenever some quirk of quantum physics, like our infamous multi-location hotel, becomes displaced, it gets drawn to Now Here, like a dumping ground for the multiverse. This not only makes the act of relocating the hotel seem less like god-modding by the cult (all they would have to do is displace the hotel and let quantum nature take its course) but also opens the possibility for all manner of strange things from across all of existence to find their way to Now Here. It could be one of these strange things that all the power players are after, or they just want to mine the Age for all the wonderous things that end up there. This idea would not only explain everyone's interest in this bizarre little Age, but also provide an explanation for the lycan cult's inconsistancies. It stands to reason that the fomorly Stone Age cult would constantly be stumbling across technological artifacts from other realms (Zander actually wrote Boppy and Dorian stumbling across one such stockpile). After some tinkering, the cult might figure out how the technologies work and integrate them into their society, but such rapid change in technological development is bound to cause some inconsistancies. Everyone is still used to living in caves and wearing loin clothes, and many of their traditions revolve around that, but some of the other clothes that warp in from time to time do look fashionable and comfortable, not to mention the books they find depict places that look much nicer to live in than caves, and those cell phones sure are handy for keeping in touch with your packmates, etc., etc. So what we would have here is a society currently spanning several eras of technological development, leading to the bizarre inconsistancies that our group observed in the cult's stronghold.

I love it when I can make sense of the nonsensical. ^^

I'm sure I could read between the lines,
    if only the lines themselves were a little clearer...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

That would also account for the Chocobo!

I'm still brainstorming for my "Fairies 3" story. Is it possible Brid and Bres were forced into some kind of deal with the Fae that included a safe haven for the Hotel, but handing over the three fairies for the Faerie War? I still haven't figured out why the Seelie want the three fairies in particular, but the concept was this: what would Tianna do if she were offered the possibility for Absolution and return of her powers in exchange for her involvement in the War? Jo wouldn't be too happy about being involved in such an amoral war, and Green Fairy (probably) wouldn't trust the Fae to keep their end of the bargain.

Tianna was Jade's character, wasn't she? I don't know what she had in mind for Tianna, so I'd have to be careful messing with her character concept. Oh, Jade, where are you?

P.S. or addendum or something: The story of Tianna's Punishment starts here, near the bottom of the page: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...Glitch/page348

Furthermore, there seems to be a plot complication:
    Tora has Tianna float a cup of water to Marae: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...Glitch/page361 (seventh post down)
    (Well, it had been several pages since Jade had posted on Tianna, so she's forgiven for forgetting. Besides, I'm just as guilty.)
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...Glitch/page363 (second post down)

Temporary reprieve from the Fae? And at what price...?
    Last edited by T.O.O.O.; 08-23-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Proud (or at least, Shameless) Member of URU Cavern Skydivers!

MOULagain TOOO KI#:24657
    Karaoke Lives!

Dr. Marae, Professor of D'ni Ethnomusicology and Terpsichore, and Duke, OutStanding in His Field marae's Avatar
    TOOO, since the hotel is not in Faerie but still in Now Here, I don't think that would count as "safe haven" in a war on (and for) that turf. I think it's more that the hotel ended up where it ended up, and Bres and Bríd whisked us there as the most expedient place of relative safety at that moment.

I like the angle that Tianna is offered absolution and return of her powers in exchange for helping the war effort. That might be all the incentive she needs to get involved. And I don't suppose it would matter which faction of Seelie offered her that, as long as she didn't believe she was doing something wrong or evil by helping them out. The Green Fairy might go along with her to help out and give her moral support. It would be up to you if Jo felt compelled to join them.

And since she's already been written as having some of her powers operating, it makes sense that she's already made the deal and is working with the Seelie as we speak. Perhaps, as you suggest, her continued use of her powers is contingent on her cooperation. Maybe the Fairy Queen that punished her in the first place is the leader of this "extremist group"? If she's willing to strip the powers from a fairy as a punishment, what's a little war to accomplish something for the benefit of all of Faerie? I think it could well be the same person.

But your description of the war as "amoral" makes me wonder: Is the war amoral? I think it does have associated morality, but the moral stand depends on which side you're on. Objectively, it's hard to say which side has the moral upper hand, especially for me, because in my mind Faerie is less a territory than a state of being. It borders on all realities (or the majority of them) in some fashion. It has some laws which are binding on all Fae, but probably each faction also has its own specific policies, which could go a long way towards explaining why mortals have so many different legends regarding the laws of Faerie.

If the lycans are squatting, one could say they have squatters' rights, and using lethal force to evict them is an immoral act; or one could say they should move along and allow the true owners of the land to have it, and attempting to remain after they have been legally evicted is an immoral act. There might be a resolution to this question short of war and bloodshed, which would probably involve the lycans making some concessions (for example, eschewing technology) in return for the privilege of remaining on the land they currently occupy, but both sides would have to be open to negotiations.

Hmmm. That could make for an interesting plot line, getting all parties to that point. *marae throws out a baited hook at the end of the aforementioned plot line*

Incidentally, we do have one more resident fairy at the hotel: one of Kestryll's three personae is fae. But we haven't seen Kes in a long time, so maybe his fairy self is on vacation?
    Last edited by marae; 08-26-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Happily Institutionalized Maven of Mad Libs
    ...perhaps the crocodile has not yet been eaten...

MO:ULagain KI #541383

Dr. Marae, Professor of D'ni Ethnomusicology and Terpsichore, and Duke, OutStanding in His Field marae's Avatar
    In another thread, MystNovice makes the excellent suggestion that I post our floor plans and map of the hotel area here, so here they are. Caveats: MOST IMPORTANT: ORIENTATION IS NORTH TO THE RIGHT, not at the top as on most maps. This was due to the constraints of the CAD program I used to make the drawings. Just remember that the Australian ocean is to the West, and that should help. Either that or tilt your head 90 degrees to the right. Also, although I did my best, these are not necessarily to scale. Close, but no cigar (which is probably just as well, because I don't think smoking is allowed in the Hotel).

Hotel Ground

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ndCGrounds.jpg*

Note: There is a low ridge running between the hotel and the beach, so the hotel back yard and the Shrine are not really visible from the ocean. The forest has been growing over the years and actually extends beyond the boundary shown here, and trees now surround the shrine.

My original sketch of the Shrine when I proposed it to Speedy way back when:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...BridShrine.jpg

The apple tree is sacred to Bres, and the birch is sacred to Bríd. There are also various other trees including a hazel tree. Wisdom the Salmon, who lives in the pool, is fond of eating the hazel nuts when they fall in the water.

It should be noted that although the Shrine was originally conceived as a tribute to Marae's patrons, it was built with the understanding that it is a shrine to all deities, and all worship is welcome there.

Hotel

First (Ground) Floor:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...OneEntire2.jpg

Second Floor:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...TwoEntire2.jpg

Third Floor:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reeEntire3.jpg

Notes on the hotel: Yes, the room numbers are a little odd. When the addition was built a few years back, we didn't want to change the numbers of existing rooms, so for the new wing we adopted the more modern style of starting a room number with the number of its floor. Further, only the ground floor has a west wing, with an exit leading off towards the beach. Hotel staff have most of those rooms since it puts them nearest the kitchen and dining areas.

Rooms show the residents that were current at the time I made the floor plans. I tried to update these periodically; however, a lot has happened since I did the last update. Some of those residents may have moved out, and all the current residents may not be listed. I do, however, have a more up-to-date list which I can post separately if you all would like me to.

Attic

Jade and Speedy, the two co-managers, have bi-level penthouse apartments. Stellaflora also lives in the attic, so it is advisable to proceed with caution when entering that area. You never know which of his inventions might be on the loose.... While you're up there, catch some sun on the deck or stroll the widow's walk.

Attic First Level:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...se1stLevel.jpg

Attic Second Level:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...se2ndLevel.jpg

And here again is the link to our photobucket page. I put in all the smilies that we had in the old forum; most of them are near the top of the page:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eys/?start=all

Also, I have discovered a couple of useful tidbits. You can reset the number of posts per page in your Settings, and I have done so to the original 20 posts per page (when you're archiving, it halves the time it takes to back up pages plus it makes one's hard drive far less cluttered. Trust me, it's worth it). Also, you can link to a specific post again - YAYYYY! Right-click the post number (at the upper righthand side of the post) and choose "Copy shortcut," then paste that as your link. You can also refer to specific post numbers (although if we change forum platforms again there's no guarantee we'll still have access to that information). You will need to specify in which thread the post is, of course.

*My original plan was to have the images post here, not just the links to the images. Oddly, I think this is better because you can adjust size and resolution to suit your needs, plus it makes the post shorter.
    Last edited by marae; 08-29-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Additional information

Thanks, Marae! I've been missing those links since the forum migration.

On the hotel again, I think we can say the Marae, Tully, Boppy, Duke, and the Vikings have all shared their respective discoveries with each other, so all that's left is perhaps for TOOO and Tora's respective groups to add their findings and devise a plan for finding out what happened. Please keep in mind that my only character in this story is Boppy, and he is not well suited to plotting or problem solving, just sniffing things out and wreaking unintentional havoc.

Ah, it's just like the old days, when two days seems an eternity... Oh, wait. It's been five days. No wonder it seems like it's been a long time since this post!

Next time I talk to Tora, I'll give her a nudge. But I think we can probably move on now, even if she and TOOO don't weigh in. If we really want to cut to the chase, we have a route to the deities themselves, and Marae, at least, knows how to use it.

At any rate, we are en route to the hotel for lunch, or hopefully by now, eating it. So no one has to find an excuse to go down to the beach and find us if they want to have a confab. So... since it's been a few days, I think I'll make a brief post to that effect, and get us settled in at our favorite table (if the post's not there when you all see this, don't worry; go right ahead and post and I'll make any necessary adjustments).

On another topic, someone mentioned the Mysthillariums a while back, and noted that we haven't had one in -- well, it's got to be years by now. I'd be up for one, if folks are interested. They were a lot of fun. Donahoo has been archiving these and posting them here*, so if you've not experienced one yet, you can go take a look. And if we decide to do one, I think I can get hold of her again so it can be added to the collection.

*I should note that this only goes up through MH number 7. I didn't actually join in the Mysthillarity until MH number 8, which turrned into the longest MH on record. Last I heard she was still working on that one...
    Last edited by marae; 09-03-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added footnote

Sorry I took a while to get back to this.

Just to be clear, this (way that she's acting) does not usually happen to Tora when she astral projects. Generally she might be a tad distracted, but that's all. I'm completely blaming the same source that is affecting Dorian's shapeshift ability (be it Faerie or otherwise) for making her so airheaded and loopy.

In the meantime I'm having great fun writing this! It'll just keep getting worse, until she stops projecting. She'll likely fall unconscious at that point, for an extended period of time. Just a warning.
    Last edited by Tora_Neko; 09-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'd still like to hear from Jade before pursuing Tianna's story, but I'm going to see what I can do with Jo.

Proud (or at least, Shameless) Member of URU Cavern Skydivers!

MOULagain TOOO KI#:24657
    Karaoke Lives!

Sorry for my absence, I've been a bit busy with the new semester starting up. I haven't even had time to fix my broken glasses for the past week which has been making my life generally miserable.

Anyway, we seem to be lacking direction on how to get our characters to formulate a plan to deal with the situation, but I don't have any ideas on that front. Anyone else have any ideas?

There, I've given an opening to get this conversation going. Tora will be out of it for a while.

I assumed Boppy would be easily distracted and head off for a snack again. MN if you want him back with the group I could edit that. Or leave it to you to have him scamper back?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast