View Poll Results: Please select Yes or No on the following proposed rule changes:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: Intermediate category added of 70,001-90,000, between Beginner and Advanced

30 75.00%
  • NO: Intermediate category added of 70,001-90,000, between Beginner and Advanced

8 20.00%
  • YES: Another category, beyond expert, of guitar god (scoring cutoff starting at 220k)

16 40.00%
  • NO: Another category, beyond expert, of guitar god (scoring cutoff starting at 220k)

19 47.50%
  • YES: A restructuring of rankings based on Accuracy and Streak (Scores will only decide category)

13 32.50%
  • NO: A restructuring of rankings based on Accuracy and Streak (Scores will only decide category)

25 62.50%
  • YES: An honorable mention category added for highest Accuracy Percentages and Note Streaks

26 65.00%
  • NO: An honorable mention category added for highest Accuracy Percentages and Note Streaks

10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REAL Poll: Weekly Song Challenge Rule Changes | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    Why don't we just make categories in five-point increments, so everyone can win? Jiminy.

There's not even prizes, so why is everyone so uptight?
    Seriously though, who's uptight? The initial set rules are being considered. Its natural to do so every now and again and to examine how well they're holding up and meeting the needs of the group. Nobody's attacking anything or anybody. It's all good no?
    Last edited by KinchBlade; 03-19-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typos
    If you say 'gullible' slowly it sounds like 'oranges'.

UPlayID: KinchBlade SteamID: KinchBlade
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by KinchBlade View Post
    lol - fair enough. Get rid of NMM then - what's the point of it?

41 years ago I won 1st place in a beautiful baby competition so I'm sorted for silverware

(Oddly enough, many years later we discoved that a freind was dating the girl who got 2nd). So I'm not sure what that means...
    There's a 2x multiplier for playing MM, and not everyone who has scored 100K on a song is capable of playing it in MM--it's a natural dividing line. 70K on most songs is also a natural dividing line in terms of level and difficulty.

I don't think another dividing line at 90K is needed, though, because there's not that much difference between 90K & 100K in terms of difficulty on most songs. Using my own experience as a base, there are plenty of songs I can score 70K but not 90K, but I can't think of a single one where I was able to get 90K without soon getting 100K (or close to it). 10K RSP is a groove bonus, a streak multiplier, and a couple of bends or a tremolo.

I disagree, I think they are separate but equally important categories. NMM tests pure playing ability, while MM is a combination of memory and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMac0x0 View Post
    I disagree, I think they are separate but equally important categories. NMM tests pure playing ability, while MM is a combination of memory and ability.
    I could be wrong, but something tells me he was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMac0x0 View Post
    And re SN's last post

This is my last comment on this as I have no agenda nor any desire to try to have the last word on the subject, I'm just trying to understand the rationale... I like simple, uncomplicated systems and I agree with both of you that there are clear and logical distinctions between each of the existing categories but I don't see why NMM and MM are treated specially, that is, one can post a score for both and have them both stand whereas one can't do that with the "lower" categories, that is, only one's score in the higer category counts. At the end of the day that's about as much as I care about the subject. I'm going to try and play this week's song and I imagine I will post a mediocre score.

I look forward to the results of the poll.
    If you say 'gullible' slowly it sounds like 'oranges'.

UPlayID: KinchBlade SteamID: KinchBlade

NMM is for those who don't want to or cannot memorize a song, but have a purple score.

Seems simple to me.

I don't see the need to enter both NMM and MM, but since everyone has been, I followed suit.

We added Expert-NMM for people who have the song fully mastered but don't want to bother with memorizing it. It isn't really fair for the advanced class for people who can play it fully mastered really well to enter their category.

By the way, the poll results so far seem to show that most people do not want a restructured ranking system based on accuracy and note streak. But a lot of people are all for the honorable mention category for these items. This got me thinking. Maybe we could replace Expert - NMM with Expert - Accuracy/Streak ( we could call it "Virtuoso"). The winner of this division of Expert would be the person who turns in the highest accuracy percentage and longest note streak on a fully mastered song. This would also make a more obvious distinction between Expert MM and Expert NMM.

Maybe this is good idea or maybe I am just trying to create another category for me to try to win! haha.

Stringfiend, I see where you're going with that, but then we've not got anything for people who have the song level maxed but don't want to memorize it. Some songs, it's pretty easy to level them all the way, but that's a far cry from playing it from memory.

The current divisions represent clear breaks in ability; I'm just not seeing what adding more categories does for us, or what makes 90K any different from 100K or 80K.

Looking at this, I get why there is a master mode and a non mastered mode. I can see the logic there, but I think people should only be able to enter one or the other. I can also see the fun in a best percentage/streak category, but still....should only be one entry.

What I don't get is the levels. I'm just thinking this through, but say there is a 0-30,000 category. I would probably fit in there for some songs, but even if I managed to hit 30,000 exactly and won that category, it doesn't change the fact that I am still near middle of the list at best. I don't see what one "wins" by having multiple scoring tiers.

Besides, only one person gets to choose the next song anyway, so there is really only one winner.

I think the idea behind the divisions was to allow beginning and intermediate players to feel like they had a shot at mention. If it were one category, winner take all, there'd be no point in most of us even entering scores.

The current discussion seems to be about whether there should also be a division at 90...but I'm having trouble seeing the point, as it divides one meaningful category into two very small categories, pretty much randomly.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast