Thread: Prince of Persia 3D resolution | Forums

Prince of Persia 3D resolution

Hi all!

I wanted to play some PoP 3D since I haven't even seen that game in ages. Found some new fixes for it so it works great, my only problem is that it would be nice to apply a widescreen resolution. Sadly tha maximum the game supports in the options menu is 1024x768 so I started searching for config or ini files but found nothing. Where can I change the resolution for this game?
    PoP Classic and PoP 2008 Epilogue for the PC, Ubi?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Most Helpful Prince of Persia Community Member kakalukiaJay's Avatar
    For the Microsoft Windows platform,
    1) Set your screen resolution before launching the game.

2) Options
    Graphics
    - Resolution 1024x768 (up from 800x600 default)

Enjoy!

Your config file is called "options.sav" and lives in the game directory. It is a binary file, so you'll need a hex editor to modify it. Screen width and height are 2-byte values at offsets 14 (0xE hex) and 18 (0x12 hex) respectively, in big-endian order. So for example:
    For 640x480 you have 02 80 and 01 E0
    For 1024x768 you have 04 00 and 03 00

To use 1680x1050, you would change these to 06 90 and 04 1A respectively. Use Windows calculator to convert decimal to hex and set any resolution supported by your video driver. Wide screen resolutions seem to work in-game; however, the game will still set a 4:3 resolution to play cinematics, so you'll still have black bars at those times.

BTW the game uses QuickTime (directly--not via DirectShow) to play cinematics. With newer QT versions (7.x), I believe you must configure QT not to use DirectDraw/Direct3D acceleration (Control Panel->QuickTime->Advanced:Safe Mode (GDI Only)), otherwise the game will crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3PyX View Post
    Your config file is called "options.sav" and lives in the game directory. It is a binary file, so you'll need a hex editor to modify it. Screen width and height are 2-byte values at offsets 14 (0xE hex) and 18 (0x12 hex) respectively, in big-endian order. So for example:
    For 640x480 you have 02 80 and 01 E0
    For 1024x768 you have 04 00 and 03 00

To use 1680x1050, you would change these to 06 90 and 04 1A respectively. Use Windows calculator to convert decimal to hex and set any resolution supported by your video driver. Wide screen resolutions seem to work in-game; however, the game will still set a 4:3 resolution to play cinematics, so you'll still have black bars at those times.

BTW the game uses QuickTime (directly--not via DirectShow) to play cinematics. With newer QT versions (7.x), I believe you must configure QT not to use DirectDraw/Direct3D acceleration (Control Panel->QuickTime->Advanced:Safe Mode (GDI Only)), otherwise the game will crash.
    Wow, that is a very helpful post, I'm sorry I've discoverd it so late. I'd really want to do what you write but when it comes down to editing hexes I have no idea what I'm doing sadly.

Edit: Managed to do it, you're a genius! The game now runs in 1080p without problems, rock solid 60 fps (I'd never imagine I'd say this because there are a lot of problems with the game on 64 bit systems). Thank you!
    Last edited by sanceman; 05-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    PoP Classic and PoP 2008 Epilogue for the PC, Ubi?

i really cant understand what you are saying, can you just give me the hex for 1920x1080 Resolution

Try to find the configuration file.