Thread: Just bought a book | Forums

Just bought a book

I just picked up a copy of " Find'em, Chase'em, Sink'em....the mysterious loss of the WWII submarine USS Gudgeon".
    By Mike Ostlund

Going by the title I don't expect there will be a happy ending.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

​Let me know,or US know how that reads,sounds interesting Donna.

ENTER and VOTE in the SCREEN SHOT COMPETITION

Hi Donna....
    After you're through with that one (let us know how you liked it...) you might try O'Kane's "Clear the Bridge"...That's a good read...

Another good read is "The Bravest Man; Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang" by William Tuohy.

Do Not: I REPEAT Do Not forget "Silent Running" by Vice Admiral James F. Calvert
    About The U.S.S. Jack in the Pacific. A very good read...

I have read both of O'Kane's books as well as Silent Running. I would recommend all of them. I have yet to read any sub books by someone who was not there on the boats, and I'm not sure how different a tale those books would tell.

Clear the Bridge was one of the most thrilling non-fiction books I have read. O'Kane's patrols and attacks were so completely bold and brazen but also extremely well planned and executed. Each subsequent patrol becomes more and more dangerous because he was just relentless. What happened in the end, I think, may have averted a greater tragedy at the hands of the enemy later on down the road.

Thanks for all the new reading material while I await surgery,and recovery.

ENTER and VOTE in the SCREEN SHOT COMPETITION

I have read so many books about WWII, it would require no small effort to recount them all. Still, and oddly enough, I've never had much interest in reading personal accounts by submariners. I don't know why that is. I have read personal accounts of other aspects of the war, like Japanese Destroyer Captain by IJN Capt. Tameichi Hara and With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. I also read a comprehensive and compelling book about the allies' anti-submarine warfare efforts (mostly concerning the Atlantic) called The Tenth Fleet by Ladislas Farago, but I've never read any individual accounts.
    By far, the most intriguing and fascinating WWII book I have ever read is Shattered Sword: The Untold Story Of The Battle Of Midway by Jonathan Parshall & Anthony Tully. I started reading Halsey's Typhoon a few month ago but had to set it aside due to time constraints. I still haven't had the time to pick it back up again and probably won't for quite some time yet. If I could recall just a quarter of the information from all the WWII books I have read, I'd probably be some kind of professor by now, but my memory isn't nearly as sharp as it once was. Heck, sometimes I can't recall what I've done in the past few days, let alone read in the past few decades.
    Perhaps my reading days are drawing to a close. I hope not.

Last edited by WernherVonTrapp; 03-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)