Thread: PoP 2008 in windows 7 | Forums

Unhappy PoP 2008 in windows 7

Greetings all.

I purchased PoP 2008 a few years back from direct2drive which was recently purchased from gamefly.

Gamefly is saying that PoP 2008 is not compatible with windows 7 (either 32 or 64) I can't seem to get the game to run. Has anyone here gotten the game to work in windows 7 and if so was there anything you did to get it to work?

I get the PoP launcher and I passed all the requirements. When I launch the game I get a black screen and then windows 7 gives me the information "This application has stopped working.. We are checking to see if there is a solution"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have the retail version and it works without any tinkering on Win 7 64 bit.
    PoP Classic and PoP 2008 Epilogue for the PC, Ubi?

If you pick to view technical info about the crash, what's the exception code that it gives you? The most common ones are:

0xC0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
    0xC00000FD (EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW)
    The program tried to access unallocated memory. This usually means a bug in the program (the game), or a driver that it uses, or insufficient memory available (including the page file). No generic solution exists; upgrading or downgrading the drivers may or may not help.

0xC000001D (EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION)
    This is usually because your CPU does not support the instruction set required by the application. This game, I believe, requires SSE2 support from the CPU (if not SSE3) as well as multiple processors (logical or physical), which means at least Pentium 4 HT or Athlon 64 x2. So this requires a system upgrade. Running applications with higher CPU requirements on a system not meeting them is possible, but requires a lot of hassle (specifically, creating a sandbox system and virtualizing the CPU) and the performance will likely be unacceptable.

0xC0000094 (EXCEPTION_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO)
    This is usually due to incorrect/numerically unstable timing calculations within the game. May occur with old games run on new machines. Enabling vsync or otherwise limiting the framerate will often help.

I have the steam version of PoP08, and it works just fine it seems on my Win7-64 machine.

Sometimes it seems like some of the dialogue gets cut off a little at the end of sentences, but I can't tell if that's platform specific issue or not. It's been so long since I played it on PC last that I can't remember if it happened on XP.
    Last edited by Major Parsnip; 03-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.