Thread: Plane comparisons | Forums

Plane comparisons

I am having trouble knowing which planes are better then others. Like which ones are better at turning, and which ones are better at climbing. So that I know what to do when I get into a dog fight. Is there any way I can look at a list of planes with there strengths and weaknesses? Or is there an easy way to find this stuff out?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

There is nice program called "Il-2 Compare" which lists all the planes in the game with a bunch of performance figures. It's important to note that raw numbers like "top speed" and "best turn rate" should be taken with a grain of salt.

For instance, the P-51 has the same Merlin engine as the Spitfire and is 1.5 times as heavy but still manages to have a faster top speed. However, don't expect it to accelerate like a Spitfire or to pull energy-sapping maneuvers and still be able to survive a fight. If a Spit and P-51 start co-alt and fairly close together traveling at 200 mph, the Spit will easily catch the Mustang....something to consider before yelling "It's porked!".

You can find Il-2 Compare (along with the 4.11 update) here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29062

Thanks! this will help a lot! So you're saying that some of these figures are wrong and can only really be known through experience? Or are you saying that it's not factual to real life standards?

Also when I try to click on the link that LensiHU made for that forum. It says file not found :/ am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Bongo0310; 03-07-2012 at 06:44 AM.

The figures aren't wrong as such, they just don't tell the whole story. Taking the P-51 / Spitfire example above:
    • The have (roughly) the same power
    • The Spitfire weighs less, so it accelerates better in level flight at low speed
    • However the P-51 has less drag at high speed so it has a higher top speed and better acceleration at high speeds.

So you have to consider not only the figures, but also the situation.

Another hypothetical example, consider two aircraft A and B. A has a low top speed but good power to weight ratio and low wing loading. It can climb at 2500 feet per minute at best climb speed of 140mph and top speed 300mph.
    Aircraft B best climb is 2100 feet per minute at 155mph and top speed 360mph.
    At first glance it would appear that aircraft A can outclimb aircraft B, however at any speed over 300mph and less than top speed, aircraft B can both gain distance and altitude over aircraft A. At speeds down to not far over 200mph, aircraft B's rate of climb is higher than A's for the same speed. If aircraft B slows down to outclimb, A will be out of sight in very short order. If B tries to keep up, A will be able gain an altitude advantage as long as he doesn't slow down too much.

Similar comparisons apply to best turn, roll rates and so on. You need to consider not just the figures, but also the situation in which it is possible to achieve those figures, how long they can be sustained and techniques that may be available to the pilot of the "inferior" aircraft to overcome its apparent deficiency for just long enough to either get away or kill you.
    Last edited by Tully__; 03-10-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks Tully! That helps a lot! Is there any way you can show me how to update IL2 compare? I know how to download it but I don't know how to get it to version 4.11? Thanks again!

If you look at the link Tully gave already (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29062), ACE-OF-ACES has provided a link to a complete updated install - this seems to work.
    Last edited by AndyJWest; 03-08-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
    If you look at the link Tully gave already (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29062), ACE-OF-ACES has provided a link to a complete updated install - this seems to work.
    Ohh Thank you so much!