Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerned about too much potential American jingoism/patriotism in AC3 | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Cast of Characters Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Story Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Experience #2 Customization & Co-op [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Season Pass Trailer [US]

Quote Originally Posted by Ender_Graff View Post
    You state that you fear a break from traditional AC storytelling, fearing possible patriotism. You mention that the revolution will break the goals of the Creed by taking a side. however, in your own argument, you say "Ezio was not fighting for an Empire, but for freedom and truth." That is exactly what the American Revolution is a fight over! The British oppressed and took advantage (Templar-like) of the colonists and stopped them from passing laws or having a say in Parliament, thus ridding them of the ability for truth. Therefor, the Assassins are trying to stop this oppression and division.

If Assassins fight from freedom and truth, as you mentioned, then the American Revolution is a justified conflict for them!

Besides, it has been confirmed by Ubisoft that the game is not definitely sided, for you will fight with Americans, British, and Native American enemies.
    You are completely correct. However, I would point you to my other post, where I said that all history is contested, and many would see the colonists as genocidal maniacs who revolted against the Empire because they wanted more money.

Of course, I'm not saying that's true. Like EVERYTHING, it's a mix of both and up for debate! The debate is the greyness I love, and I just hope Ubisoft at least make a nod to the atrocities committed by the colonists, don't portray the British as evil stereotypical moustache twirling hollywood charactertures, and make Connor realise that both sides have an evil side to them that goes against the Creed. He may ultimately chose to support the colonists due to a promise of a better future, or to thwart the templars, but I hope the game doesn't ignore this moral dillema. I hope the game is not black and white, where the american colonists are not portrayed as heroes who can do no wrong.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Honestly, I feel like it might be more of an AC:R kind of deal. Connor might work closely with Ben Franklin and George Washington, but not FOR them. So if you're trying to run away from a British Patrol you pissed off, a Revolutionary patrol will start fighting the British(and vice versa).

I'm glad we have come to an agreemtn then. Also, I am pretty sure that Connors family/tribe was murdered by Colonists. Look at the second paragraph in this link.
    http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...more-revealed/

If this is true, then I'm sure Connor will want some revenge on the people who did the crime.

I totally agree with both of you. RichardHaro, if what you describe isn't expressed in the game I would see it as a disservice to American history. Being an American myself and with mixed roots, I can tell you my ancestors did not take kindly to the Native Americans. The French and Indian War also complicated things because, once the Revolution came along, sides were dramatically shifted. The reason why Native Americans sided with the British was mainly to, as you said, protect their livelihood and abide by the treaty signed after the French-Indian War. They had a home to protect, after all.It's true that some Native Americans fought for the colonials but this number was hardly substantial. And I do not at all condemn them for siding with the British because it was the best option for them. But they were indeed a threat during the war and they didn't exactly have the purest of intentions either. Any modern Native American will tell you that they had their own internal conflicts among tribes to deal with, and this involved land, power, and greed. But this gave the colonials no excuse to come in and take their land. But then again, this was originally at the command of the British...see how complicated this gets?

I really think Connor will simply go his own path. If that means, as onionsrise said, eventually siding with the Continentals, well so be it. He will be doing whatever satiates his need for vengeance and freedom.

I was a little worried that Connor only killed British in the trailer, but as Tony6593 pointed out, it was like that with the first AC trailer and we fought and killed both Saracens and Crusaders. In the GI article it was mentioned that there were Templars on both sides, so I'm not too worried. I believe Ubisoft with show the complexity of it all. I do hope there is a conversation that points out the hypocrisy of wanting to be free while having slaves. I know it won't change anything in history as slavery continues much long after the Revolution, but I think that the issue deserves to be addressed.

Read this if you're concerned about too much WEWT AMERICA:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-you-play-AC-B

Originator of Walking the Dinosaur in MP.
    Never thought so many good players would turn out to be terrible!

In the first concept art, he's bumrushing a Colonial Officer.... it will be like AC1 --- trapped in the middle of two sides with enemies on both and a few allies too.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyto View Post
    In the first concept art, he's bumrushing a Colonial Officer.... it will be like AC1 --- trapped in the middle of two sides with enemies on both and a few allies too.
    I think this is correct.

Can I see that concept art for proof? I haven't seen anything that has Connor facing a continental officer.

Steam ID: Jexx | PSN ID: Jexx21

Unity - Duty - Destiny
    Unofficial UbiForums Steam Group

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpider View Post
    But they didn't do that with the other games, why would they do it with this one just because it's set in America? I'm not American, but if I was, I'd be a tad offended... I'm sure AC will show evil on both sides in it's entirity. Even if Connor does show pro-American leanings, if one of them does something wrong, he'll make sure they pay. After all, Connor IS half-Birtish.
    How can someone be half-British? Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace - Ezio Auditore da Firenze, 1486.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast