Thread: Back after 3 years what about the Alienware X51 for COD | Forums

Back after 3 years what about the Alienware X51 for COD

I used to play IL2 a lot, but now I'm back after about 3 years and thinking about a new pc for COD.

I'm way behind the times with regard to what goes into pcs these days ,so building my own is not going to be an option these days.
    Just reading Stuff magazine , I see Alienware do the X51. A small powerfull gaming pc.
    The advantage for me as well is that the X51 hooks up to your TV, so I won't have to invest in a new monitor.

The spec for the X51
    Quad core intel core i7
    8 gb RAM
    1TB 72000 HDD
    Geforce GTX 555

Do you think , this will run COD ok
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    Sapphire X1900XT
    Ahtlon64 3700 San Diego ( overclocked: 255 X 11)
    2 gb G Skill PC4000
    Enermax 600w Noisetaker
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

would depend on what you mean by ok
    imho the rig you specced would run ~medium settings but start to struggle above that

I'd say the gpu on that is too weak to be able to run anything like reasonably without dropping video options quite a bit (you mention running 'full' settings in the other thread). Personally i would say a 560Ti 2Gb should be the minimum for gpu with the present state of the sim (there is meant to be a patch with a major rewrite of the graphics engine soon, which should help speed things up, eta ~ 2 weeks ).

Spec wise i'd say you should be looking for:-
    i5 @ 4.5 pre overclocked (with a good cooler)
    win7 64 bit
    Gpu- ideally 580 3GB but 2 Gb minimum and as powerful as possible.(what res your tv? 1080? if its lower you might have some wiggle room here)
    Ram- 6Gb min
    Good 'brand' psu
    SSD as well as normal HDD if possible
    Good case airflow

might add a bit to your budget (mainly gpu), but CoD does tend to like big, powerful gpu's.
    like i said, this is based on current status and may change in the near future

good luck

Many thanks,

Do people use their TVs instead of a monitor these days.
    My TV is a Pioneer 1080i Hd, don't know how this would look
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    Sapphire X1900XT
    Ahtlon64 3700 San Diego ( overclocked: 255 X 11)
    2 gb G Skill PC4000
    Enermax 600w Noisetaker

Some TV's are suitable, some aren't. I personally wouldn't even consider using a TV for PC games at less than 1080p, and even then I"d be checking response times and contrast ratio against gaming monitor specs.
    On the other hand, millions of console users game using televisions with no complaints...