Thread: What I was playing back in 1973 | Forums

What I was playing back in 1973

For those of you who don't know, Kool and the Gang had a long career before they added the cheezy lead singer and went "Celebrate". Kool, along with Tower of Power, Mandrill, War, early EW&F and other soul/horn bands was what we played back in the day. The New York City school system required that EVERYBODY take some kind of musical training even if it was hiding in the back mumbling with the chorus.
    When we hit Junior High and High School we had ALL these horn players hanging around so... we used em!!!

The part of the song you need to pay attention to is "Choclate ****ermilk" (C'mon Censors are you chittin' me?), a simple song, not exactly Stravinsky, but it's groovin' This live version is kickin'! Hey Bearcat! Did you ever do this one?

Worf

Kool & The Gang - Chocolate ****ermilk (Live) - YouTube
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I only played it on my stereo. I didn't even start to play bass till 77.

That was nice though .. I was just thinking about Kool & The Gang the other day.

Yup. Definitely Cool.

Not sure I ever took that much notice at the time (rampant post-puberty horniness, combined with an almost complete inability to actually talk to the opposite sex, tended to divert my attention), but even this side of the pond, we were exposed to jazz-funk and the like. Sadly though, it tends to bring back memories of platform shoes (!), overused aftershave,skintight flares, and everything else that I'd rather forget regarding that particular decade. It was possible to dress in the then-current style if you were a jazz-funk trumpeter and get away with it, but if you weren't, and were just a spotty kid from south-west London, it didn't work... Now, I can forget about the fashion disasters, and the tongue-tied encounters with 'some bird from Peckham', and appreciate it for what it is. Cool...

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfydf...eature=related

Boom shacka lacka lacka lacka boom!

Reminds me a little of Tighten Up by Archie Bell and the Drells. Used to spin a set One Fine Morning by Lighthouse, Get It On in the Morning by Chase and Vehicle by Ides of March.

Get It On in the Morning by Chase
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ODT...eature=related
    Last edited by wayno7777; 03-25-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    US Army Aviation: Above The Best!
    Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!
    Aces High
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FX_ZmCzo6k&featu

Quote Originally Posted by wayno7777 View Post
    Reminds me a little of Tighten Up by Archie Bell and the Drells. Used to spin a set One Fine Morning by Lighthouse, Get It On in the Morning by Chase and Vehicle by Ides of March.

Get It On in the Morning by Chase
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ODT...eature=related
    Great tune. I remember Chase and the Son's of Champline and others... Great playing but those SHIRTS! I'm about to go blind. Oh the 70's Fashion by Bozo the Clown!

Worf

Poker
    my goal for my 1/8th scale RC Corsair 1D: