Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start & progress? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

How to start & progress?

I've never played guitar until I picked this game (I get all kinds of crap about this from friends who play guitar >_<) up and am curious in what method is best to use to start and progress in the game and in getting better at playing guitar. I mean like this:

1. Just keep playing an progressing through the game goin from song to song/ Pretty much just doing what the game tells you to do
    2. Trying learning one song at a time. So for example, the first song I play....completely try to master it first and go to another)
    3. Go through all of the tutorials first and then try method 1 or 2

If there's any other idea please feel free to recommend something. I plan on playing outside the game too since I see it as a learning tool but just want to get the most out of it in an effective manner.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Honestly,

I started playing again recently and the dynamic difficulty feature, really allows you to find your comfort zone. I started with what the game recommended until I got used to the system and then started picking which songs I wanted to practice. If you completely new to guitar, I would recommend trying some of the tutorials as they give you some semblance of technique and theory, not like a real teacher would, but good enough to at least get you a basic understanding of the concepts.

If you try to master each song (as a beginner) you won't have much fun and will become extremely frustrated. There are some songs that are easier to master than others but just ease in slowly at first and have fun.

I would suggest playing it as the game suggests. Make sure to do the technique challenges and mini games as they unlock. After you get a little comfortable, try swapping out songs in the event list or just playing them directly from the song list.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKev1n View Post
    If you try to master each song (as a beginner) you won't have much fun and will become extremely frustrated. There are some songs that are easier to master than others but just ease in slowly at first and have fun.

I would suggest playing it as the game suggests. Make sure to do the technique challenges and mini games as they unlock. After you get a little comfortable, try swapping out songs in the event list or just playing them directly from the song list.

Well put....I did the same and is working great for me..
    xbox 360 gt, over40rocker

Banned
    I'm going to recommend "Rocksmith recommends" as well. Push outside of your comfort zone!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamAwake View Post
    I'm going to recommend "Rocksmith recommends" as well. Push outside of your comfort zone!
    This^ . Ya gotta keep it fun but it's important to push it too. There are some big rewards ...and they are a lot closer than you think!

Thank for the suggestions. Should I do the same with the tutorials as they come or try to get gold on those too. I know these may sounds like goofy questions but just want to go about this right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Koga316 View Post
    Thank for the suggestions. Should I do the same with the tutorials as they come or try to get gold on those too. I know these may sounds like goofy questions but just want to go about this right.
    I have had these very questions myself when I began. You are smart for researching before you dive in, You take this investment seriously! I assure you all of the practice done through rocksmith will satisfy your hunger and leave you asking for more!

I'm assuming you're talking about the technique challenges. While bends & hammer offs are sprinkled throughout most of the songs (mostly solos) I wouldn't consider them top priority. Achieving gold on these challenges aside from an achievement give no value. It's the practice of each technique that counts. "Am I not confident in bends? maybe I should watch the video"

One thing I love about learning to play guitar is you learn how your brain works. You dive in with your own approach that is unique to your personality!
    Last edited by DreamAwake; 02-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.

I'll add my voice to recommend the journey as your main place to learn. As for the technique challenges, I had pretty good luck just doing them when I couldn't figure something out myself, or it got to a level I needed specific work. Although, when you first start, the dynamic leveler will throw symbols at you you may not recognize--then you can go into the technique challenges to figure out what to do. I don't recommend trying to master all of the mini games or techniques as they unlock, but it's good to go through them to get an idea what to do. You can always come back to them to work on areas you're having trouble with in songs.

Thanks. It was the practice I was thinking of and not an unlockables or points. Just want to make sure I get it so I dont fall behind later if its goin to be something I'd need to use when the difficulty picks up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast