Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Tag now obsolete - Please Open Source the software! | Forums

Can someone provide me with the ubicoinnect software? Mine came with a cracked CD and it looks like ubisoft is dropping support. Please help if you can!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Contact the store that sold you the CD and ask them for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tully__ View Post
    I think this user's problem is this:

UBISOFT sold Battle Tag back in 2010 in a very limited market. He was able to get a set now, 2 years after it was released, but the set he got has a broken disc.

The problem: These items are rare - the "store" in this case was likely a private seller that only had one set to sell. There is no way they will be able to provide him with another CD. This is not a console game but rather was a standalone laser tag system that UBISOFT experimented with in 2010, and has since taken all mention of out of the support forums. Without help from someone at UBISOFT, this guy's pretty much stuck.

There seem to be a lot of online resellers that recently got their hands on new, unopened Battle Tag sets... I would imagine that the forums are going to be requesting some support for Battle Tag in the coming weeks (I myself have two of the starter sets currently en route to my home as well from Amazon).

UBISOFT should take this opportunity to help out the people that just took a risk and spent money on what we all think is a really cool product that was released ahead of its time... at the very least make the files available so that people that just spent a couple hundred dollars can actually USE the UBISOFT product they just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tully__ View Post
    Tully you appear to be the moderator. Can you tell us what's going on with battle tag? I've tried to get info so I could even buy this product rights from ubisoft and no one even bothers to answer emails. Are the ever going to release the source or perhaps a revamped product line? I really want the connect 5 ubiconect feature we were promised so we can have up to 40 players. Yes I read the FAQ that said it wasn't supported but I also read where they were going to release a 16 player version. Does anyone know the programmers who coded this? I'd love to even pay them directly for some mods. Maybe an email address? Pm me with if u don't want to post.

Quote Originally Posted by zadriel View Post
    Tully you appear to be the moderator. Can you tell us what's going on with battle tag?
    I know nothing about Battle Tag except the name and what wikipedia tells me. Moderators are not Ubi staff, we're community volunteers so there's not much chance of me finding out more than you already know.

My main concern right now is that I have two of these sets coming in the mail, representing a $160 investment. I'm not worried about software support moving forward (but admit that it would be pretty awesome), but I would like to know that at the very least I can get the updates that were released and live last January. That wasn't all that long ago and I can't imagine these updates take up much space on a file server...

I am pretty sure the guns will at least be functional out of the box, but I know there were firmware updates released to make them more stable and add some game types. I think those files should still be available online through whatever address the software checks when it boots up. I guess I'll find out on Monday (when the first of my two sets arrive).

I too am concerned about firmware updates. What about UBI? Are we going to be able to update our guns? I noticed the download ****on on the website is dead. Does anyone know where the updates may be hosted? Is anybody on the forum here with the guns have the update?

From the reading I've been doing the software, once installed, makes a check to a server (which may or may not be active anymore) to see if there are updates available for itself and for the T-Blasters and UBIConnect. The firmware updates are applied to the guns during the installation process, and at the launch of the application it checks again in case any updates were released post-install.

My first set is coming on Monday, and I plan to shoot some video of the installation process to document any hiccups I encounter along the way, and because I didn't think the "review" videos out there on YouTube were all that comprehensive or very well put together in terms of giving a good overview on how the system works. You can bet I'll report back here as well.

Have No Fear

I've recently just ordered 3 sets of the 3-player + 2 med packs + 2 T bases for $79.99 from onesaleaday.com three days ago. My set arrived yesterday, and I did not have much trouble installing the software and updating the firmware on the guns. The website is still working, but I would suggest you upgrade as fast as possible as we never know when the servers will go down.

Before battle tag, I was a big fan of the hasbro phoenix LTXs. Those were the best lazer guns I've seen until Ubisoft's Battle Tag. When Battle Tag first came to the market, the retail price of $129.99 was just too much for me. However, at 3 guns + 2 med packs + 2 T bases for $79.99....it was a really really great deal. The game play is excellent and the game master (the software) is awesome as I hook up my laptop to my sound system. Some of the game master's comments are funny and definitely adds to the gameplay.

I really wish Ubisoft had continue to support this product as I think it is the best home lazer tag product I've played. Sure beats QZar and Lazer Tag arenas...much cheaper too! The game master software is golden (stats, game log/events, ability to assign names to each player).

Perhaps the reason why Ubisoft has not released the software is because they plan on bringing this product back for another go around? In the mean time, I tried sending e-mails to Gael Seydoux (Producer) and Frederick Raynal (Creator) to ask if they ever plan on bringing this back or making it open source. No responses so far.

It would be great if this product could be revived with new expansion gun models, etc. There is a big market for this product, and Ubisoft should not give up on it so easily.

Battle Tag code

There's a few of us locally in Australia who are looking into the Lua code. It certainly seems that additional game scenarios should be able to be added (capture the flag for instance). Looking at the FreeForAll files shows that the game should indeed take at least 16 players, certainly in this game scenario at least: UAFreeForAll.maxNumberOfPlayer = 16. Looks like most all audio files can be altered including weapon sounds as well. The game looks to have a lot of future potential but we need some dedicated effort and coordination to get the work done.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast