Thread: Transferring 1946 to new PC | Forums

Transferring 1946 to new PC

I made a copy of my 4.10.1 game on my present ( soon to be former ) PC and placed it on an external HD. I wonder if I can just paste, or just drag and drop that game right into my program files on the C drive of my new PC to save the laborious task of installing the 4.04 game and applying every patch cumulatively on back up to 4.10.1 ( I'm waiting for the final 4.11 is out before patching to it )

If I must install the game from scratch again, is there any comprehensive mega patch without having to go 4.06,4.07,4.08,4.09, 4.10?

Oh, my present PC is windows XP, my new one is Windows 7. I believe I have to put the game in the x64 folder?

Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrux View Post
    I made a copy of my 4.10.1 game on my present ( soon to be former ) PC and placed it on an external HD. I wonder if I can just paste, or just drag and drop that game right into my program files on the C drive of my new PC to save the laborious task of installing the 4.04 game and applying every patch cumulatively on back up to 4.10.1 ( I'm waiting for the final 4.11 is out before patching to it )

If I must install the game from scratch again, is there any comprehensive mega patch without having to go 4.06,4.07,4.08,4.09, 4.10?

Oh, my present PC is windows XP, my new one is Windows 7. I believe I have to put the game in the x64 folder?

Thank you.
    It's a lot less complex than you imagine. Once you have set up your new PC, do the following:

In your C:\ drive, create a new folder. Call it, for example, C:\Games. Copy the entire 4.10.1 folder across from your portable drive into this new folder.
    Next, go to your IL-2 folder and find il2fb.exe. Right-click on il2fb.exe and click Send to/ Create short-cut. This will place a short-cut on your desktop. Double-clicking it will start the game.
    (Optionally; you could partition your hard-drive and place the "Games" folder on another partition, e.g, D:\Games. This is useful if your C:\ partition is compromised by a virus and requires re-formatting, as the D:\ partition would remain unaffected)

Do not place the game in Program files - definitely don't place it in x64.
    You will need to reinstall your flight-gear and your graphics drivers and so on, with a new OS. Presuming you intend to run 64bit Windows 7, then some of the latter will end up in Program files and some in Program files(X86).
    X86 is where 32bit items will go. Always choose the 64bit version of new drivers, if available, and let the installer package place them where they belong.

Don't forget to hang on to the copy of 4.10.1 on your external drive. If your new PC's new hard-drive is big enough you may want to make a second copy in C:\Games and upgrade it to 4.11. Obviously you will want to title your sub-folders to reflect the different contents - thus, C:\Games\4.10.1 and/or C:\Games\4.11 (maybe even C:\Games\HSFXxx) Each version would need a separate short cut, re-named to suit.
    Last edited by x6BL_Brando; 02-20-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Don't forget to run il2setup.exe in the game folder and set each tab in the setup for your hardware before stating the game.

Just wanted to give some feedback. It was much easier than I thought and went with no hitches at all: Everything worked just the same as it always did with no need to change anything other than the sound playback and reset the resolution in the config file. It also made me appreciate how much better gameplay is with a better processor. Even with the crummy onboard integrated graphics ( just temporary ), it blows my old PC out of the water.

Thanks for the advice