It's patrol #2 (LCDR Arthur Franz commanding, submarine is a Gar class), running standalone TMO 2.5. I've saved the game to take a break. Here's the sitrep:
- Mixed sonar-visual attack in heavy storm two and a half days earlier netted an enemy Liner - 18,000+ tons. Ten torpedoes expended - 5 hits, 5 misses.
- Torpedoes remaining: 10 Bow; 4 Stern.
- HQ notified of enemy convoy just after dawn at 1110 (base time), 28 March 1942.
- Only lead elements observed at 14,000 yards - much smoke signifying large convoy.
- Speed 9 knots; course 242 true.
- Environmentals - perfect visibiliy, clear skies, wind 4 m/s.
Currently, operating with two outstanding objectives - both are to sink enemy shipping. Environmentals favor enemy ASW combatants - likelihood of depth charge attack is high. Weather likely to remain clear throughout the day. Ephemeris shows sundown for this location is around 2330, moonrise around 2030 with the disk at 85% waxing gibbous.
There is no right or wrong answer here. I'm interested in other opinions.
- Immediately close and engage convoy.
- Maintain contact, attack at night.