Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improved recognition rate in YSFE / YSFE 2012 by the Dashboard Update 2/16/2012? | Forums

Smile Improved recognition rate in YSFE / YSFE 2012 by the Dashboard Update 2/16/2012?

Yesterday afternoon I installed the new dashboard update. The update in the German version seemed unusually large, especially because it should - according to Microsoft - only correct some color issues of the dashboard.
    My nightly workout, I always start with a few rounds Wall Breaker. Already in the 2nd Lap I was able to break the 15,000 point mark! For the first time I had managed this 2 days ago after three weeks of unsuccessful efforts. In the 5th Lap I was able to achieve my best result so far with 16,090 points and in the 6th Round, there were 15,275 Points.
    In any round, I had not such extreme slowdowns and faulty detections as before the update. I was able to execute punches and kicks faster and smoother than before.
    This morning I tried to learn something more about the update. Because of the color correction it seems, that the dashboard now consumes fewer (memory?) resources.
    The good results last night are not a reason for jumping to conclusions. So my question: Has anyone else also found improvements?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I haven't noticed any difference since the update. The same problems I had prior to the most recent dashboard update are still there. If I do "wall breaker" I can sometimes pound away at a brick and nothing happens. I know for the "iced bricks" to get them to break, I use a boxer's speed bag style on them to get them to break. I know that if I try a 1-2-3 normal punch they are not going anywhere. As well, some of the exercises where I am never able to get even 1 correct chain going, are still problematic. In an exercise whose nameI can't remember , you have to stretch out with one leg in front, and twist to the left or right with weights in your arm. I am constantly told to stretch deeper. The recognition for that exercise is so bad, that a friend of mine who can do the splits with out any problems tried the exercise and while doing the splits and twisting to the left and right, was told to stretch deeper. Now if that isn't faulty recognition, I don't know what is.

Maybe the German update was different, but I believe I got Canadian update, because my acc't is from Canada, even though I live in France.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

I have not noticed any difference in tracking since the update either.

I think the exercise you're talking about, zdarma, is the Muscle Man Twist. I don't seem to have any problems with the exercise. And if I miss a Prefect Chain with it, it's because of my arms being too low (which is my fault, not the sensor ) not because of the lunges. I also have no recognition problems with the wall breakers.

____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing

Hello zdarma, hello NanoParticle. Thanks for your responses. I do not know how and why I did caught this happy moment in Wall Breaker the day before. Now everything is back to normal.
    Zdarma, your problems in Wallbreaker I can confirm. Some of the issues of Wall Breaker will only become apparent when playing it on a fairly intense level. Wallbreaker often suffers from slowdowns.
    In less serious cases the blocks explode with some delay, but without delay variations. So it's easy to adapt. In other cases the blocks do not explode, not even when using very much power or speed. If you're fast enough, you can reposition a second or third blow, and then obtain at least 1 or 3 points when the block explodes. In more serious cases, a block doesn't explode and you can see your fist or foot going right through the block. If you're lucky, the block explodes upon retraction of the fist or foot.
    In rare cases a block stays completely intact while the following strike on the next block is scored. If you're fast enough you can destroy the first one with a third hit.
    Variations of the reaction rate are sometimes terribly annoying, for example when double blocks blow with practically one single hit and the following single blocks blow with some delay or are hardly to destroy. There are other oddities in Wall Breaker, but I don't want to bore you with too much details.
    I agree with NanoParticle, that you mentioned the Muscle Man Twist, and I can confirm occasionally recognition problems with allmost all exercises using lunges. If you're told to stretch deeper and that is unsuccessful, you should try just the opposite by choosing a little higher, sometimes almost upgright position.

Thanks for the advice on how to get by some of the glitches. On wallbreaker I am unable to get higher than 11k on the hardest difficulty. Whether it is because I pound at bricks that won't break or phantom hits on red bricks that I should be avoiding.

I will try a slightly higher stance in Muscle Man Twist. Although I do find it ridiculous that the developers of Ubis**t did not program in for some kind of margin of error when it came to recognition. It seems to me that you almost have to do the opposite of what the game is telling you to do. Sadly, I think this will be the last Ubis**t game I ever buy, at least for the Kinect.

Do not be too harsh on YSFE. I believe it's the game with the best recognition rate of all Kinect games. In general, it is an amazing achievement, that KINECT and YSFE are running on a very outdated hardware as the XBOX360 is, which has less memory than most modern cell phones.
    I am grateful to Ubisoft for the original YSFE and YSFE 2012. With YSFE I have found my way back from a tired and unmotivated couch-potato to a new physical, mental and spiritual well-being. I'll definitely buy a next YSFE. Not because it may perhaps be better to count calories, but because the activities, workouts and lessons are just fine for me. And I'm sure that with the next Xbox and Kinect generation, we will inevitably get a better YSFE experience.

Since I seem to have more success with the Muscle Man Twist than some others I tried to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I think it's important to get your forward facing leg bent at a 90° angle. This is the case with all the exercises that use this sort of lunge. The lunge is not a forced split and shouldn't be uncomfortable to do correctly. Hope that helps.

____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing

@K1200GTRED, I don't think I am being to harsh with the game. I let the bugs and annoyance with the first YSFE slide because I thought these were normal problems with a first time game coming out on a new kind of technology. However, now that we are on the YSFE2012 and many of the same bugs (ie Wallbreaker and pounding at bricks that never break), if not more than before, I'm sorry; but that is more than enough reason IMO to be harsh with a game. None of the concerns from the first version of YS were ever resolved, at least none that I brought to their attention. I've logged again issues with the game with UBIS**t support, but alas nothing has been done yet.

I've given the game a chance, probably a lot more than I would have for a regular console game because of the technology it is using; but at some point, one has to say enough is enough. More often than not I have recognition problems, however, when I'm doing a floor exercise and am facing sideways, I turn my head a millimeter to see why I am out of sync with my trainer, I immediately get the message, "face the same way as your trainer". Really? This is where the game decides to be spot on with its recognition? I'm tired as well of having to figure out the exact position I need to be in when trying to do an exercise, because I find a lot of the times if you follow what the instructor or the mini-video does before the exercise starts, you will get it wrong.

Today, I finally figured out why my string of chains is being reset before certain exercises even start. That is because unless you are doing the exercise during the 3-2-1 countdown, a lot of the times, the start point is in the middle point of the exercise, ie "The curtsey arm raise", if you wait to start the exercise at the starting point, you will always be a late, you already have to be in the curtsey position with your arm out when the exercise starts. I repeated that the routine to do that exercise 4 times today, just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and sure enough I'm not.

YSFE, also got me out of the couch and it the first version of the game, was one of the main reasons I was an early adopter of the Kinect. However, today, I just find myself getting more and more annoyed with the game, with the stupid comments (concentrate, when you are in a perfect chain or you're doing great when you are making mistakes). One last thing to go with my rant, I don't if you or anyone else has noticed, but everytime I load up YSFE2012, I have to reconnect to XBox Live. This is the only game that does it for me and probably does it 9 out of 10 times, I've noticed it in the past, but the past 10 days, it is systematic. I see that I log on to XBox LIve, but once the game is fully loaded, I see that I have been disconnected.

@NanoParticle, I have tried my legs at all kinds of angles and the game doesn't care. I just keep getting the "stretch deeper" More often than not, I end up flipping the bird at the tv screen. Sadly, I can not figure out how the game wants me to stand, but I trudge a long none the less.

@zdarma, You seem to be really frustrated with the game. Perhaps it would be better to throw it away before you get a stomach ulcer. Nevertheless, in some ways I can understand you. It's annoying that Ubisoft has copied some of the exercises from YSFE without correcting bugs or optimizing tricky routines. Sometimes, when this "****" program once again doesn't recognize my 100% Push-Ups or Fast Mountain Climbs, I wonder, also, whether it might be better to waste my time with something else instead of letting me tease with a 50% penalty. But finally, there are always more pros than cons. So I'll continue exercising with YSFE 2012. And sometimes, when the recognition - for whatever reason - works well, I'm happy.

Maybe these hints will help you to improve your Wall Breaker results:

Place your feet about shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. Try a Wing Chun basic style of boxing. A good explanation you can find here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_chun#Centerline.

Whenever possible focus and concentrate on the next block to come, not on the block you just hit. There are series, where the blocks explode almost by itself. Then there are those where a lot of energy and speed must be spent. Sometimes the blocks explode only after a delay. Learn to early detect these changes and to adapt to them quickly.

When the red block swings past you, follow it as directly as possible. Usually the swinging block is followed by a center block, double or ice. When getting up, perform chain punches against the top or slightly above the ice block to be appearing.

Often there is a "hot spot" in Wallbreaker. Try to find it by changing your position slightly. If you've found the hot spot, you can execute your punches shorter and more energetic. In particular, the cross-executed double blows must not be run fully and can be stopped just in front of the blocks.

Hope, that my humble explanations will help you for a better Wall breaker experience.

@K1200GTRED. I don't know what is going to come first, an ulcer or a flying kick at my screen.
    I wish I had a place around me where I could rent the other exercise programs available for the Kinect to try them out and see if I have the same problems. I figure, if I have the same problems with the others, I'd stick with the one I know. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in things I do and when I get a chain broken or that my moves are not picked up, I kind of want to toss something; but given the price of a new tv, I've settled for flipping the bird at the screen whenever that annoying voice comes on telling me I could do better.

As for wallbreaker, thanks for the advice about the type of style I should try, I'll take a look at the link you sent. However, I stand as you suggest and am always looking where I have to strike next. I pretty much know the pattern by heart by now. I'll try to focus a little more closely on where I'm hitting the brick and it breaks on the first contact to see where the hot spot might be.

I want to like this game, I really do, but for the love of god and all things holy fix some of the bugs in it and not just carry them over from one version to the next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast