Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Note vs. Chord vs. Combo | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Single Note vs. Chord vs. Combo

Hi. I just picked up the game and am starting to mess around with it.

When it gives me the option for a song, what should I choose? Single Note? Chord? Combo?

I do some playing, so I know some chords. So, should I jump right to Combo?

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The purpose of the different versions, AFAIK, is so multitple players can each play a different part. Like a band would do. The combo versions, are for playing a mix of the 2 parts, when playing alone.

Do whatever you want to do, have fun.

The only problem in this area, is if you master multiple versions of songs. Then if you get a master encore, you can't tell which version to play. (see edit below)

The simple solution there, is to only master one version.

Mostly, it does not matter, other than which version you like to play. Just have fun.

Edit: The master mode encore problem has been fixed by the patch. Thanks, for that info, Marauder359.
    Last edited by rcole_sooner; 02-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

I'm following the journey/events and I am a serious beginner, chords were the last thing to catch on to. I found that it progressed me from single notes, combos started throwing the odd chord at me and I caught on nicely. I just lately started playing the chord arrangements. I am soooo close to mastering two of them but still haven't. I can't remember for sure, but the technique challenges and mini games become unlocked in the first few events, they are helpful as well.
    Playing RS since Oct 19 2011 on the bundled Epiphone Junior
    RSP 30M(ish) Level 11 - Rocksmith ( - In Rocksmith, I have yet to hear it from my wife
    )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
    The only problem in this area, is if you master multiple versions of songs. Then if you get a master encore, you can't tell which version to play.

The simple solution there, is to only master one version.
    That's no longer an issue. The patch has made it such that the song title and arrangement appear on the screen and stay there for the whole song... So, you no longer have to worry about mastering multiple arrangements of the same tune.

Otherwise, he's spot on. Try them all!

I switch it up depending on what I am doing for that session.

I try to make it a regular thing to sit and play through a bunch of chord arrangements for a couple hours.
    Maybe once a week.
    This is great for practicing your chord shapes, chord changes and bar chords.
    Plus, as an added bonus, you get a great feeling when you score really high on an easy chord arrngment. Like Eric Clapton.

Some of the single noters are easy to Master though. Like Next Girl. These are good practice for fret # memorization.

And the combos, to me, feel more like how the actual song is played. Most songs are recorded with the guitarist palying chords AND notes throughout the song.
    Like Smoke on the Water. When you play the single note arrangement you can hear that the main riff is just not quite right. But as soon as you lock into the combo, it sounds right..

On the recorded versions of songs, there are so many extra parts layered in, that only one RS song version, is never going to sound just like the recorded version.

Take the simple High and Dry, for this weeks challenge. Listen to the recorded version, and there are lot of subtle guitar parts in the background. There is sliding going on, and nice distorted guitar during the chorus.
    Last edited by rcole_sooner; 02-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Heck, take "Free Bird." How many guitarists did Lynyrd Skynyrd have? Four, wasn't it, or was it three? Anyway, more than just a single guitar going on.

The thing with 'recordings' is you can have 10 guitar tracks if you wanted...coming from 1 person...
    That is why 'live' performaces virtually NEVER sound like the recorded versions.

In a recording studio, one guitarist can lay down 5 different (or more) guitar tracks. All of which different, and all of which are heard in the recording. Something that is phyisically impossible to actually play back real time with a single person.
    Chris

Gibson SG '61 Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ibanez RG350QMZ, Epiphone Hummingbird (Accoustic), Yamaha APX500II (Accoustic), Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special

And then there is this... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M
    Playing RS since Oct 19 2011 on the bundled Epiphone Junior
    RSP 30M(ish) Level 11 - Rocksmith ( - In Rocksmith, I have yet to hear it from my wife
    )

That rocked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast