View Poll Results: Which system do you prefer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Binary

2 15.38%
  • Spectrum (meter)

11 84.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What detection system should SC6 have in place? | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

What detection system should SC6 have in place?

I'm going with the spectrum system because it offers a more engrossing experience, it's unique (I know of only 7 games that use this system), and, well, let's just say the binary system is....yucky.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I would still prefer the spectrum but I see it both ways.

1. You are either hidden or you aren't -binary (just makes sense, i see you, i don't see you)
    2. You are partially illuminated -spectrum (your face may be illuminated, you might make out a hand or arm but only faintly)

So, overall idk....the spectrum gives wider range of options i would reason but binary would be easier to program and have AI to react to. Let's say spectrum because sc1-3 > sc4-5

Well, yeah. Partial illumination is indeed a factor.

These guards are human, so they might have seen someone. Or something. It's kind of hard to tell when it's really dark. Distance also comes into play. Also, shooting and triggering alarms without at least doing a little investigation is not something the ideal guard does.

A spectrum system takes all this into account, hence why I think it's superior (among other reasons). Anyways, this poll is more about which system you feel offers more fun, so let's not get too hung up over realism.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm not sure what you mean about binary/spectrum. What's important to me is how they indicate you've been detected. I DON'T want a ping sound. I DON'T want a big circle/arrow pointing towards the enemy. And I DEFINITELY don't want to be alerted every time an enemy detects me if I've already been detected and they're still aware.

SC1 handled it perfectly with the piano note and music. Both set a moody tone without being intrusive. It was a soundtrack, not an idiot-friendly helper.
    Ubisoft, please prove me wrong.

Talking

I don't know the full aspects of each system, so I didn't vote. There were times guards investigated like they thought they saw something in 5 right? When you say detection it makes me think of HOW guards see or find me. I mean they see/hear something or they don't? What they think they heard or saw determines the detection response level.
    I think the responses should be determined by varying levels of AI concern, dictated by how loud or visible, my actions or exposure were.

I think AI investigations should occur faster depending on the level of concern when spotting the player. If they got a decent look at something moving they should be swinging flashlights around fast and all over the place immediately, putting me on my heels, not walking towards the one spot cautiously giving me ample time to make decisions about evasion. I should have to 'go now' and get to that impulse play. Cautious investigations should be for when they thought they might have heard something and are too embarrassed to go running to their buddies about it.
    What am I asking for there, more levels of concern and more intelligent responses? Then again, they might just be hired meatheads most of the time.
    Every guard with a gun working nights is going to have a flashlight and a radio though, especially in the kind of outfits we take down.

I also want the audible detection play like DA 360 had, it was deeper than Conviction's I think, either that or my noisy foot steps couldn't be heard over all the gunfire!! (that was a little joke).
    Last edited by SolidSage; 02-15-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Sorry if this a pain! Can someone please tell me how the spectrum, and binary detection systems work?

PS: How on earth do you know about this stuff?
    Currently waiting on:

Beyond Good & Evil 2(?), Portal 3(?), Deus Ex: Universe, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Mirror's Edge, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow 6: Patriots, Cyberpunk 2077.

What SolidSage said.

I want a realistic detection system. I like the Binary system because it makes make it more believable not to mention you need to be extra careful. I hope they can tie the SCC and Pre-SCC systems together.

I'm Batman

Sig: Jazz117Volkov

Quote Originally Posted by Soulid_Snake View Post
    Sorry if this a pain! Can someone please tell me how the spectrum, and binary detection systems work?

PS: How on earth do you know about this stuff?
    Sure would.

Chaos Theory VS Conviction
    Spectrum VS Binary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBoZDO7QPCg&feature=fvst

From 7 sec to 20 sec look at the bar on the right, it goes from dark to light and is right underneath the little target icon. If you watch the little white box moves from far left (hidden) to right around 20 sec the bar moves up a bit. The box shows your visibility which means that from 7-19 sec you are completely hidden. Around the 20 sec mark you are somewhat visible. If the guard were to turn around, he might think he sees something and would say something like, "What is that?" or "Do I something there?"
    You see at 27 sec the box is completely to the right meaning you are entirely visible. Now if the guard were to turn around he would see you, pull his gun and start shooting.
    From 28-34 sec. you see the little box moving backward, back left, showing you gradually becoming less visible. Didn't find a video of guard investigating you if they think they find something...maybe someone else will.

so that's spectrum.

Conviction makes these really easy to see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glj_F87hzpw

At 1:23 you see you've been detected. The screen is in full color so you are completely visible and the little arrow on the top of the screen says "detected" in case you didn't know. Now at 3:14 you see the screen is all black and white. This means you are completely hidden. No guard is going to see part of you, maybe think they see something. You're either fully hidden or fully exposed. I can see it both ways (as I posted before) but you probably get it. Binary stealth was also the stealth featured in Double Agent but instead of the screen changing from b/w and full color, there was little light on your back. If it was green, you're hidden. If yellow, you're visible. If flashing red, you were detected.

So overall, spectrum, well it gives a wider possibility of choices, a spectrum lol. Binary is either one or the other, hidden, or visible, (and possibly detected). Hope that helps!

Double Agent as well- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6mbPmqSBg <yellow dot on bottom left at 2:07
    green dot at 2:25

Personally, I'd prefer spectrum. Not to go too much into the technicalities, I'll just say that it does give a wider range of investigative procedures for the npc to carry out rather than I see you, therefore, instantly ring alarm/shooting/back up, as was already stated in this thread.

But to each his or her own.

Didn't Lambert refer to Sam as a SIGINT NINJA in the ORIGINAL SC?

NINJA, huh....what ever happened to "Sam Fisher the SIGINT NINJA"............

Spectrum of course. How is binary more realistic? Its either a 1 or a 0, on or off..no grey areas. Spectrum is definitely more realistic.

PT/CT SvM, lets play on XBConnect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast