Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hustler | Forums

Smile The Hustler

As some of you may know, I served in the USAF at Little Rock AFB. Being the history buff I am, I researched the base's history and learned the base had once hosted the B-58 Hustler from 1964 to 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-58_Hustler

There are several static displays on the base, including C-130s, a B-47, B-57B, C-123, RF-101 Voodoo and a C-119.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a large, distinctive tank/pod in a parking lot that got me wondering what it belonged to. Should I dare to hope it was from a B-58? Indeed it was, because yesterday as I was leaving the base, I passed a B-58 fuselage and wings that were heading on base.

Looks like we're going to have a Hustler display soon, I'm very happy.
    I took pictures and got closer until I was told to stay on the grass, lol.

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

Check it, bleed. Bro... was on! Didn't trip. But the folks was freakin', man. Hey, and the pilots were laid to the bone, Home. So Blood hammered out and jammed jet ship. Tightened that bad sucker inside the runaway like a mother. Sheet. - Airplane II
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Wow! Very cool! The -58 is one of my favorites, many thanks for the pictures!
    "Once people realize they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" -Ben Franklin

Checking around a little and using that serial # 0668, it appears that this aircraft may be a TB-58A Hustler, s/n 55-0668 which
    came from the Lone Star Flight museum where it was damaged back in 2008 by a hurricane.

Nice pictures.

The main landing gear looks rather complex - in fact I can't see how it worked at all. Obviously designed to fit into a rather thin wing somehow or other....

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

I think the main gear retracted straight back. At least, that's what it looks like on the old grainy videos.

Absolutely awesome looking machine ,I guess it may be a sign of growing old but the hardware of the 50s-80s seems soooo much cooler than 'Stealth' tech ...

The part of the gear *I* found intriguing was the nose gear, once you realize that the pod is in the way. I couldn't get close enough, and had never really wondered about it before, but it must have to rotate forward as the top is drawn aft to clear the weapon/fuel pod.

For the main gear, I believe where the upper "V" part meets the lower strut, it bends like a knee, with the upper folding forward, the lower rotates aft and the wheels are curled back and tucked in. The wheel wells were pressurized and air conditioned because of heat generated by Mach 2 flight.

Ah, found a semi-decent video, gear operation @ 6:40.

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

Check it, bleed. Bro... was on! Didn't trip. But the folks was freakin', man. Hey, and the pilots were laid to the bone, Home. So Blood hammered out and jammed jet ship. Tightened that bad sucker inside the runaway like a mother. Sheet. - Airplane II

Nice video, Cajun.

Yes, the nose gear design is clever too - I'd just assumed it retracted backwards, and hadn't thought about the pod.

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

Awesome!Next to the Lockheed Constellation has always gotten my vote for the most beautiful aircraft ever built. My husband's cousin it's also my understanding used to fly these for a while when not flying B-52's (was a Col. in S.A.C.), sadly however that's the extent of the information my husband has never keeping contact with that part of the family.

Here are a couple of other videos you might like.The first having a song I believe just fits perfectly with the video (note also Gen. Stewart is flying). The second having some nice views.

K2
    Last edited by LEBillfish; 02-12-2012 at 05:58 PM.

-

This might help explain how the landing gear operates:

Main Gear Assembly Animation

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~t_miyama/b58leg1.gif

Front Gear Assembly Animation

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~t_miyama/b58leg2.gif

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast