Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10th Anniversary DVD: Problems with MME and Riven on Two Computers | Forums

Nitty-Gritty of QuickTime Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall_G View Post
    Hey, I'm glad you solved the problem!

By any chance, did you determine which QuickTime files from which QT versions are critical to MME and Riven operation?

This should allow installing the appropriate QT version (4.0/4.12, maybe?), transferring the required files to the MME/Riven Program Files folders, uninstalling the older QT version, and finally installing the latest QT version.

This would be a good thing, because some programs play nicely only with the most current versions of QT.

Heimdall G,

I believe the needed file from Quicktime version 4.0 (and probably 4.12 also) is "QuickTime.qts" which is mentioned by "Dave Darkarts" in this thread on the GameFAQs website. But we just installed QuickTime 4.0, rather than try to do what he described, i.e. "extracting" that file from the QuickTime installation. If that file could be obtained and added to a more current version of QT, possibly the advantages of the newer versions could be enjoyed... or maybe not!

Thanks for your help!

(P.S. I am still receiving no e-mail notification of replies to this thread; all my settings are correct for that option.)
    Last edited by wstrohm; 02-17-2012 at 03:01 AM.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Exclamation The File "quicktime.qts" Found!

I was able to locate a source for the QuickTime file "quicktime.qts" from a file called "Riven Vista Patch" at this website. I downloaded the file and copied the contained "quicktime.qts" file from it, zipped it, put it on a flash drive, and gave it to wife. We intend to try it on both her desktop running Windows XP (with QuickTime 6.5.2) and her HP DV-6 laptop running Windows 7 (with QuickTime 4.1.2). We will see how MME and Riven perform with this file in the MME and Riven game folders. Next we will see what happens if the QuickTime versions on those computers are then updated to the latest version. I will post the results on this thread.

[Edit - Initial Results on HP Pavilion DV-6 running Windows 7, Quicktime v 7.7.1.
    1) With "quicktime.qts" file in the Riven folder: The video portion of the Riven movies play normally (YAY! ). Sound also is OK, but perhaps not quite as clear as with QT 4.1.2. The inability to Save or Save As is still a major problem.

2) With "quicktime.qts" in the Myst Masterpiece folder, video portion of the MME movies play normally (YAY again), BUT sound is terrible... much distortion. Also, attempting to Save or Save As in MME puts up the error message "GetSaveFileName returned Error #2." And the game will not save, same problem as Riven except with an error message.]
    Last edited by wstrohm; 02-27-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Update

Are you aware about this thread started by your wife ?,,,click here

(last questions by Heimdall_G have not yet been answered)

Two games who need a different version of QT !?
    Last edited by nanoukmetal; 02-28-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Are you aware about this thread started by your wife ?,,,click here

(last questions by Heimdall_G have not yet been answered)

Two games who need a different version of QT !?
    1) Yes, I am aware that Carole is using my account to address the same problems. She has her own questions.

2) I will attempt to answer Heimdall G's questions in her thread, if I can.

3) No, MME and Riven have both worked with QT v. 4.1.2 on the HP Pavilion DV-6 running Windows 7. However, with QT 4.1.2 installed, that computer cannot open iTunes. So I obtained and installed the "quicktime.qts" file described above, and then Carole updated her version of QuickTime to 7.7.1. Now, both MME and Riven will still play the movies, which they would not back when the file was not there. However, sound in MME is now very noisy, compared to when QT 4.1.2. had been installed.

4) On her Fry's FM-40 desktop computer running Windows XP, version 6.5.2 of QT allows play of both MME and Riven. We have not yet tried any other version of QT on that computer.

Exclamation A Summary of Our Investigations on Two Computers

Our current (and probably final) status...

On the Fry's FM-40 desktop computer running Windows XP:

Playing Myst Masterpiece Edition (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 6.5.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

Playing Riven (10th Anniversary DVD): Works using either QuickTime v6.5.2 or using QuickTime 7.7.1 with "quicktime.qts" file in Riven folder, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

-----------------------------------------------------

On the HP Pavilion DV-6 laptop computer running Windows 7:

Playing Myst Masterpiece Edition (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

Playing Riven (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

By "works" I mean that all the videos and audio work AND the Save and Save As functions also work; no glitches. We tried a mind-boggling number of other combinations without much luck.
    Last edited by wstrohm; 02-28-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Update

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234