Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Calorie counter stinks.... | Forums

  1. #1

    Calorie counter stinks....

    I'm not liking how this game calculates calories burned. Did a 7 minute boot camp workout and only burned 4 calories. I find that very hard to believe. Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Just do the wall breaker activity - you will burn almost 10 calories every minute. Of course, if you jump rope, which is much harder and uses much more energy, you will spend only 1 or 2 calories every minute.

    They are clearly extraordinarily inaccurate.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasJock66 View Post
    I'm not liking how this game calculates calories burned. Did a 7 minute boot camp workout and only burned 4 calories. I find that very hard to believe. Any suggestions?
    Have you entered your height, weight, gender and age into "Edit Profile" within the game (blue section of the main menu)?

    ____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Good idea on the cause, but I did enter all of that. ??
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotisticks74 View Post
    Good idea on the cause, but I did enter all of that. ??
    Adding that information doesn't cure all in inaccuracies of the calorie count but it does help get them more in line if someone is getting ridiculously low calorie counts. That's why I always ask that question first

    ____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Junior Member BigGerty1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    3
    Whatever way they use to measure the calories burnt is very broken, so don't take it seriously...

    If I do an hour of workouts (mostly intermediate to hard cardio mix), I burn around 250 calories according to Your Shape. But turning to the exercise calorie chart listed on the Mayo Clinic website (taken from a peer reviewed study), that's less then I'd burn walking at 2mph for an hour...which is ludicrous.

    I really wish they'd fix it, but I'm assuming their putting all their effort into the DLC and 2013 version of the game...

    Here is the link to the calorie chart if anyone is interested: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM001099
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    I'm not expecting too much from ubisoft, they still haven't fix the problem on the first one (save game).
    So I guest we're stock with what we got.
    Same issue with the fact that you don't know how long you have been exercising and no total calories for the day either.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    I can not understand the constant whining about the calorie count in YSFE 2012. Ok, the counting is somewhat pessimistic. But first of all it's a COUNTER, and not a realistic calorie measurement. Unless the physiological data of the player can be measured, eg with a chest strap, a realistic measurement is impossible.
    I took the calorie chart listed on the Mayo Clinic website and did some mathematics. First, i was surprised about the multipliers. Per activity, they are always the same regardless of weight. Calorie charts from other sources show a slight increase in the multiplier with increasing body weight.
    Next, i converted the calorie consumptions to my weight of 80 kg. We all have an idle consumption, even if we sleep. For me, its about 1660 kcals per day or 69.17 kcal per hour. This 69.17 kcal i substracted from each of the interpolated consumption data. From the resulting values, I then calculated an hourly average of 426.58 kcal.
    My personal notes from January 2012 show a mininum calorie consumption of 4.51 kcal/min, a maximum of 10.56 kcal/min and an average of 6.35 kcal/min or 380.72 kcal/hr. That does not seem so far away from 426.58 kcal.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Junior Member BigGerty1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by K1200GTRED View Post
    I can not understand the constant whining about the calorie count in YSFE 2012. Ok, the counting is somewhat pessimistic. But first of all it's a COUNTER, and not a realistic calorie measurement. Unless the physiological data of the player can be measured, eg with a chest strap, a realistic measurement is impossible.
    I took the calorie chart listed on the Mayo Clinic website and did some mathematics. First, i was surprised about the multipliers. Per activity, they are always the same regardless of weight. Calorie charts from other sources show a slight increase in the multiplier with increasing body weight.
    Next, i converted the calorie consumptions to my weight of 80 kg. We all have an idle consumption, even if we sleep. For me, its about 1660 kcals per day or 69.17 kcal per hour. This 69.17 kcal i substracted from each of the interpolated consumption data. From the resulting values, I then calculated an hourly average of 426.58 kcal.
    My personal notes from January 2012 show a mininum calorie consumption of 4.51 kcal/min, a maximum of 10.56 kcal/min and an average of 6.35 kcal/min or 380.72 kcal/hr. That does not seem so far away from 426.58 kcal.
    Interesting...I do realize it's a counter and not meant to be "exactly" accurate for calories burnt, but I do believe it's still unacceptably inaccurate for some people. Either way, I love the game (has returned me to working out regularly since I quite playing soccer years ago), but I get frustrated when I look at the calorie counter after working myself to the edge of exhaustion and seeing such a low number.

    On another note, what workouts do you do to burn 380 kcal/hr? I'm 90 kg, do about an hour of shape and burn workouts per session, mix of intermediate's and hard's, and have only been averaging 201 kcal/hr in January? (I do have my information inputted in game)
    Last edited by BigGerty1980; 02-02-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGerty1980 View Post
    On another note, what workouts do you do to burn 380 kcal/hr? I'm 90 kg, do about an hour of shape and burn workouts per session, mix of intermediate's and hard's, and have only been averaging 201 kcal/hr in January? (I do have my information inputted in game)
    I've heard/read that women burn fewer calories doing the same activity as men. (I like to think we are more efficient machines ) So the game may be programed to take gender into account when calculating calorie burn. I know that my counts are quite a bit lower than those I see quoted by men in this forum and I don't think my smaller size can account for all of that difference.

    ____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •