Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Play Still Going On? | Forums

Online Play Still Going On?

Are there still people playing this game online (i.e. Chessmaster 10th Edition)?

If so, how can I do so without a CD key?

And, no, I do not have a "pirated" copy. Unless you are going to accuse OfficeMax of selling pirated software (I don't think the $10 a pop would really be worth the risk for them). I just don't see a CD key anywhere in the packaging or on the CD.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It depends on your version. There appears to be an updated repackaged version that came out later than its initial release in 2004/2005. Back then it appeared to have been approved by the USCF. You can tell with the circular like stamp on the cover. With that version, at least the one I have, the CD-key is printed right behind the back of the cover! It is so small that it is easy to miss. When you open up your CD case that holds the 3 CDs - please look at all the printings even the small prints. It is deceptive. My version has a nice artwork and right behind the artwork down on the very bottom left is the CD-key. Hope this helps. As a last resort - just read everything and maybe you will find it.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that there are still significant people playing online? That was my original question. If they are not, the point is moot since playing online is the only thing I can't do without the key.

I looked at everything before I posted. It isn't there. That was the 'first' resort. The last resort is posting here.

BTW I don't have 3 CDs. Just one DVD (sorry I was a little inaccurate on that since I did say I looked on the 'CD').

Mark

What is really pathetic, albeit not surprising, is the idiot from UBi support told me to return for another copy after I painstakingly laid out what the packaging contained and the fact that there was no manual on which a CD key would be printed (since he first told me it is printed on the manual). As if there is any reason why another copy would be packaged any differently.

Answer(s) to your question(s)

There really are not many people left as far as can be seen playing Chessmaster 10th Edition. The few that are on at regular times. You should definitely try to get another one and open it up in front of the place where you got it to see if there is a CD-Key. It is really nice to always have the official printing on hand. It is like a certificate of authenticity#!!

As a note, my CD-Key is not printed on a manual. It is actually located on the inside of the case to the left bottom!
    Last edited by NKT73; 01-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark100net View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that there are still significant people playing online? That was my original question. If they are not, the point is moot since playing online is the only thing I can't do without the key.

I looked at everything before I posted. It isn't there. That was the 'first' resort. The last resort is posting here.

BTW I don't have 3 CDs. Just one DVD (sorry I was a little inaccurate on that since I did say I looked on the 'CD').

Mark
    I would recommend using the official Staunton II 3D chess set that has to be downloaded. It worked for Chessmaster 10th Edition. After setting the angle, glare setting, and so forth the way you like it - it becomes quite playable. I sit there and enjoy my games now leisurely. Before I had to strain my eyes looking at an ugly set I didn't like. Anyways - even though there are only a handful of people for this version - they are really a bunch of good people. There is even one guy there that is close to master level if I am not mistaken!

Just respect them and they may give you some hints to becoming one yourself!

I am just another old worn out guy trying to help out,
    Tien

P.S. If you are going to use 3D chess sets - I would suggest using the "two click to move" setting.

P.P.S. If you have a DVD instead of the 3 CDs then you must have the updated version. The old version that I have says "U.S. CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP San Diego"
    Last edited by NKT73; 01-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Tien,

Thanks for the info.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "updated" version, but I'm sure it is updated since it already contained the latest patch.

I am certain that I could buy the entire inventory and none of them will have a CD Key. There is no reason to believe that this version ever shipped with one.

There is no "case". There is just a jacket, a cardboard wrapper and a plain white envelope for the DVD. I checked for the unlikely event that they put a CD key in the electronic manual or the readme on the DVD. There is no CD key. Period. So I won't be playing online with this game unless someone sends me one or UBI support gets a clue and sends me one.

I prefer 2D representation myself. I can never get the angle to my licking with 3D. Or maybe it's because I'm used to playing on chess.com.

Mark

Do not worry about it please.

Hi Mark,

I am trying to figure out the best reply to your situation. I got lucky with my used purchase. The seller was not sure if the CD-Key would work however he did tell me that there was one. So if you are willing to buy "used" - you could ask the seller to see if there is a CD-Key. It HAS to be the 3 CD version though. It has a special jewel case that folds out to fit 3 CDs surprisingly.

If you can obtain a copy of your receipt - UBISOFT might be able to get you a replacement CD-Key? Hope that helps.

As far as what I mean by updated version, I noticed some has a release date of 2008 if I recall correctly. If this is so it would explain why you have the patch included and not the CD-Key.

I know some game versions play exactly the same except the online function may be missing, etc.

Sorry. I must have made a mistake. I meant that I like 3D representation on the computer. However I can understand where you are coming from. 2D is less complicated. I am just lucky somehow I accidentally got the right angles, glare settings, and stuff!

I hope you get the chance to play online with Chessmaster 10th Edition since it is a lot of fun!

Just my humble point of views,
    Tien
    Last edited by NKT73; 02-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Thank you but I am not going to purchase the item twice.

What I will do is be less likely to purchase any Ubi products in the future do to their stupidity in this matter.

Take care,

Mark

Nice talking to you Mark. I am sorry I could not have solved your problem at this point. I hope you get it straigtened out to your liking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast