Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florins into Modern Money | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-Op Gameplay Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-op Heist Mission Commented Demo [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Assassin?s Creed Unity Arno Master Assassin CG Trailer [US]

Does anyone know about how much 1 Florin would be if you changed it into modern money (Dollars, Pounds etc.)?

Just a question that I thought of, what do you think?

Follow me on Twitter / Add me on Xbox Live
    I take signature/avatar requests!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Does anyone know about how much 1 Florin would be if you changed it into modern money (Dollars, Pounds etc.)?

Just a question that I thought of, what do you think?

Well, florins were gold coins, so they were probably worth quite a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wikipedia:
    The Italian florin was a coin struck from 1252 to 1523 with no significant change in its design or metal content standard. It had 54 grains of gold (3.5g, 0.1125 troy ounce)
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone here have any idea what that would be worth? Of course, one would have to consider how much gold was worth at that time...

its very hard to try to do it because there were gold and silver coins, not to mention the flucuating value of those minerals.

Also, property was relatively cheap, food was more expensive, etc. its a really complicated thing to figure out

it could be around 1 florin=several hundred dollars(perhaps as much as 1000). I think the average skilled florentine worker made around 50 florins a year

It's definately a few hundred dollars per florin, but as you've both said it's very difficult to work out. To be honest, it doesn't really matter what the money is made of. A dollar coin could be made out of plastic or solid gold, either way it's still worth a dollar.

Its a completely different thing actually.

In the middle ages, currency was all based on the commodity it was made out of. A florin would be worth whatever its weight in gold was compared to other gold currencies.

the value of money today is generally determined by the strength of the nations economy and relative strength compared to other nations, plus the number of those units in circulation, etc, its all very complicated.

Oh alright. Well, I have no idea.

The link below states that the Florence florin and the Venice ducat weighed 3.5 grams (gold). The going rate for gold per gram is $43.16. Therefore, an item like Altair's Sword at 50,000 florins would be 7,553,000, or just a little over 7.5 million. The Colosseum, which I think was 30,000, would be 4,531,800, which is a steal if you ask me.

http://bit.ly/fKpIDR

That's returning the favor for your help, Isaac, and yes, I still haven't made a signature. I'm getting to it. Eventually. Maybe. =D

That's great alpha. Thank you. But of course the impossible question of how much gold was worth back then still lies, as even if it's around 50 dollars now it could be worth hardly nothing 500 years ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Isaac500:
    It's definately a few hundred dollars per florin, but as you've both said it's very difficult to work out. To be honest, it doesn't really matter what the money is made of. A dollar coin could be made out of plastic or solid gold, either way it's still worth a dollar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the one dollar bill is not worth one dollar, it just represents one dollar worth of credit, and the gold in the vaults of the nation.
    Truth hurts, and I speak it. I'm not sorry if you can't face fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast