Thread: Myst 10th Anniversary Edition | Forums

I am considering buying the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition from half.com. My question is will it run on the Vista Operating System? I have Myst and Exile but they wont run the message is Quicktime has stopped working this program will end. I cant get Exile to install any further.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I am considering buying the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition from half.com. My question is will it run on the Vista Operating System? I have Myst and Exile but they wont run the message is Quicktime has stopped working this program will end. I cant get Exile to install any further.

Welcome to the Forums!

The Myst 10th Anniversary Edition contains Myst Masterpiece Edition, Riven, and Exile, all on DVD. So, unless what you already have are the CD versions of Myst and Exile, you might want to consider buying the boxed (that is, not the downloaded) DVD version of Riven by itself. The DVD version of Riven is available from, for example, Amazon and eBay.

The Myst series should run properly under Vista after application of the appropriate patches, with the following caveats:

1. Some programs run properly under Vista only if they're run with full Administrator privileges. See How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista.

2. Take a look at The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update.

3. It may be necessary to run the program in Compatibility Mode. For details on the Program Compatibility Wizard, see How to start the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows Vista. Or, if you don't need the Wizard, you can just try Compatibility Mode, which is invoked as with Win XP.

4. It may be necessary to try what's called out in:
    -- How to troubleshoot application compatibility issues in Windows Vista
    -- How to troubleshoot issues that may prevent a program from being installed correctly on a Windows Vista-based computer
    -- Advanced methods to troubleshoot a program that does not run as expected after it is installed on Windows Vista

Regarding Myst and Exile, QuickTime and installation problems are well-recognized, and there are fixes available. However, this Myst IV Forum isn't the best place to talk about Myst and Exile problems:

-- For Myst problems, post in Myst and RealMyst - tips, hints, tech help and general discussion.

-- For Exile problems, post in Myst III Exile - tips, hints, tech help and general discussion.

Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

As a further comment, whether you play any of the Myst-series games or not, you should very strongly consider downloading and installing these Four Must-Have Vista Updates.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi