Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BF 109 flight strategies and tactics | Forums

Hello guys, I'm pretty new to IL2 but not to combat flight. I love to read and discuss and would like you guys to render your opinions on the BF 109. The reason is that I've fallen in love with it and I understand that it's one of the better fighters out there and can hold it's own with most other fighters. What I'd like to discuss are it's strengths and weaknesses. Matchups that are easy and those that may be a bigger challenge for the 109.

And finally, tactics that may be best for the 109 and maybe even tactics that are unique for the 109.

What I know about her is that she's a good climber and a decent turn fighter. She won't turn with a zero but against many US fighters, she's a formidable opponent.

Also if there are links to other threads where this has been discussed, feel free to post that link. I didn't find one quite like this.

I also know there are several variations that perform quite differently. Help me narrow in on the one or 2 that I should consider. thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello guys, I'm pretty new to IL2 but not to combat flight. I love to read and discuss and would like you guys to render your opinions on the BF 109. The reason is that I've fallen in love with it and I understand that it's one of the better fighters out there and can hold it's own with most other fighters. What I'd like to discuss are it's strengths and weaknesses. Matchups that are easy and those that may be a bigger challenge for the 109.

And finally, tactics that may be best for the 109 and maybe even tactics that are unique for the 109.

What I know about her is that she's a good climber and a decent turn fighter. She won't turn with a zero but against many US fighters, she's a formidable opponent.

Also if there are links to other threads where this has been discussed, feel free to post that link. I didn't find one quite like this.

I also know there are several variations that perform quite differently. Help me narrow in on the one or 2 that I should consider. thanks

Wouldnt personally call the 109 a turn fighter though it can do it in a pinch.

Brush up on energy fighting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
    Wouldnt personally call the 109 a turn fighter though it can do it in a pinch

Brush up on energy fighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    depends on opponent really. if you can get a p38 to turn with you, by all means go for it. usually out turns contemporary p40's, depending on skill of course, and most other contemporary american planes. but don't turn with hurri's, spit's, anything japanese, nor laggs, la5s or yaks. unless they are missing an elevator. get height, keep your energy, make your shots count, take a friend.

Ok here are some basics for this plane
    before I can answer your question let me rate the 109s:

Best turner: F4
    Mixed capabilities (can turn and dive/climb): G2
    Best Mixed capabilities: G-6/AS
    Best overall for BNZ: G-10 (fastest Gustav in the game)
    Best High Alt: K-4 C3

Worse 109s: G-6 and G-6 Late.

Never use the kanonenboot configuration (109 with gunpods) unless you are fighting bombers (viermots).

Actually only the F4 and G2 are decent turners and even then you should NEVER turn with spits or Zeros. The 109 was made for vertical fighting, this means a lot more DIVEs and CLIMB and rolls than TURNS. For stick input this means more aileron rolls, rudder turns than stick pull backs (pitch up). Think of the stick only as a 'correcting direction device' in a 109.

Keep up your speed and use flaps when ur speed drops below 230kph and rectract once you gain enough speed.

Your worse nightmare would be the Spit25lbs and SpitVIII. This goes the same for the P-39/63 as well as well flwon Tempest/Mustangs.

Respect any plane that has .50 caliber guns for they can destroy your engine (water-methanol cooled in-line engine) in one shot so this means keeping you distance when fighting P-38 and P-40's,Wildcats,Hellcats,Corsairs and Mustangs.

Min alt for the 109 is 2.0 K meters if you want to play it safe. The german stayed high and flew high and never went down on the deck unless in a group. Never go down on deck alone, you will die! I always say:

'A 109 on deck is a dead one'.

-X32Wright

DELTA CHEVRON Squad
    (co-founder)
    http://deltachevron.com

I only fly offline so I can only talk about that.

When flying against AI opponents, they will almost always try to draw you into a turn battle where they keep turning and diving over and over again. I find that the 109 can keep up with pretty much any AI opponent. Flying something like a 190 requires you to fly in a straight line more because it can't turn well.

Pros (in general)
    --good top speed for its time
    --fairly good armament (could be better though)
    --guns fire in a straight line and don't shake your aircraft too much (unless you use the 30mm cannon, then it's quake city)
    --great climbing
    --great turning in general, can make sharp turns without stalling and flipping over like the Spitfire or 190 or a lot of other planes

Cons:
    --its nose-based guns require practice and skill to use, I find with more spread-out wing-based armament like the Spitfire's or Fw-190 you can be lazier and get more hits in with short bursts.
    --top speed not really as good as the 190
    --later models are ok but don't really keep up with stuff like La-7's or Tempests

109E, 109F4, 109G2 = excellent.

Anything after that, give me a FW190 instead please!
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"Over Dieppe, the wing was immediately bounced by a hundred FW 190s and a few Me 109s. I heard Johnson effing and bli

The early 109s are real gems of an aircraft and the 109G-2 is absolutely incredible. Infact you can probably fight a 109G-2 in a 1945 scenario and have a decent chance of doing well...its a fantastic aircraft.

Everyone has mentioned energy tactics and those are the key for sure. The 109 is a very precise sort of aircraft...if you're good at gunnery the nose mounted MG151/20 on the F-4, G-2, and G-6 is very adept at taking down enemy fighters in short bursts at close range.

Now...you also have to remember that there are what I generally call 3 distinct eras of 109.

The 109E models which versus contemporary opposition are faster and generally better climbing but should not engage in turn fights at all.

The 109F-2, F-4 and G-2 which are like the E model in that its generally faster and better climbing/diving than its contemporary opposition BUT these are better handling than the E series and have the potential of engaging in a fair bit of turning at the right moments.

The final series of aircraft are the G-6 and up. These will fly quite a bit differently as you go up in the years. The K-4, when flown right after the G-2, feels heavy and slow to respond but to its credit its one of the fastest climbing prop fighters ever and its absolutely deadly in close range with its MK108 30mm cannon.

The later 109s I think suffer allot from being made from fighters into a more interceptor style of aircraft. While the versions without gunpods are still adequate fighters they become more and more about killing bombers.

A skilled 109 pilot in a K-4 can make that plane shine...but a less experienced pilot is more likely to get into trouble in that plane than in an earlier model.

Find my missions at Flying Legends and Mission4Today.com.

Any 109 specific tactics?
    Well... never really do any sharp high speed dives... unless you're about to die so it doesn't matter anyway.
    Generally if in desperate situation, if you can't bleed your oppo energy then try to bleed yours in order to bleed his... your fighter will behave better on extremely low speeds - that actually works unless you fight biplanes or such extremities.
    Whenever possible drag enemy aircraft in vertical fight.
    Use a lot of trim to compensate for crappy elevator.
    Never touch the prop pitch.

That would be about it.

Banned
    Against some planes like Spitfire and Hurricane treat it as an energy fighter.
    Against some others like P-51 treat it as an angles fighter.
    It's the matchup that makes a plane better suited to any style except for thoroughbred (extreme end) planes
    and most 109's are not extreme end planes.

The nose cannon make for better chance of hits in _very_ close shooting.
    109 gunpods ammo mix is Armor Piercing-rich 20mm as was historically used against IL-2's, a game feature.
    The nose 151/20's have more grenade rounds as do the 30mm Mk108's, a good choice for less-armored bomber-busting.

*** Beware reduced pitch ability at high speeds, they are a bit nose heavy. It's good until you really get moving.
    As with ALL planes in IL2, learn to use the trim which is a special skill in itself the way it's implemented.
    Even as you begin to slow in a turn, start trimming nose up or you will be out of trim before you finish, trim is by speed.

Spend time adjusting your stick sliders to get the best feel and response and use the IL2Sticks utility to help.

This thread has links to and loads of helpful tips and tools for IL2.

Possibly the best 3rd party campaign generator out there, online as well as offline.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast