Thread: Dedicated Server Feature Requests | Forums

XyZspineZyX
    Most of these requests are throwbacks to previous R6 titles. For the life of me I can't figure out why Ubi decided not to keep these features in:

* Random start locations: In previous titles the server admin could opt to enable random start locations. Teams would start randomly at certain preselected "spawn" areas. This added some uncertainty to rush tactics as you were never quite sure where the enemy was at first (whereas now you now exactly where they spawn every time).

* On-the-fly changes to armor/camo type: In previous versions the server admin could change the camo patterns and armor level (light, medium, heavy) between rounds. Now it can only be done in the map .ini files. Why was this excluded?

* Previous versions of R6 allowed the server admin to lock each team, and/or to move players from one team to the other. Why was this not implemented?

* Cannot change between co-op and adver on the fly (as far as I can tell).

In addition, I would request that the player can choose his own armor type (not the camo pattern, just the armor type). Some of use prefer the lighter stuff, and others the heavy according to our play style. If you optimize the code and speed things up a bit the additional texture/model overhead from allowing different armor types shouldn't be too big a deal.

- RZ
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

XyZspineZyX
    Most of these requests are throwbacks to previous R6 titles. For the life of me I can't figure out why Ubi decided not to keep these features in:

* Random start locations: In previous titles the server admin could opt to enable random start locations. Teams would start randomly at certain preselected "spawn" areas. This added some uncertainty to rush tactics as you were never quite sure where the enemy was at first (whereas now you now exactly where they spawn every time).

* On-the-fly changes to armor/camo type: In previous versions the server admin could change the camo patterns and armor level (light, medium, heavy) between rounds. Now it can only be done in the map .ini files. Why was this excluded?

* Previous versions of R6 allowed the server admin to lock each team, and/or to move players from one team to the other. Why was this not implemented?

* Cannot change between co-op and adver on the fly (as far as I can tell).

In addition, I would request that the player can choose his own armor type (not the camo pattern, just the armor type). Some of use prefer the lighter stuff, and others the heavy according to our play style. If you optimize the code and speed things up a bit the additional texture/model overhead from allowing different armor types shouldn't be too big a deal.

- RZ

XyZspineZyX
    *BUMP*

Okay, so NOBODY agrees with me?

- RZ

XyZspineZyX
    I agree with these things and more. The server software is sadly neglected. Active server admins are crucial to a strong community of players, and even more crucial to quality tournaments / ladders.

The available server support lacks many of these features that put the admin in control.

Regarding armor.. I despise full armor. An admin should be able to allow players to use the armor of their choice. This is a significantly lacking realism.

Locked teams, control over team ratios for auto-balancing, forced team changing are good features for admin control. The likely problem with admin power abuse should not affect the decision to add these features. Admin abuse will occur even if you give them no power / options whatsoever [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif[/img]

The webAdmin software is apparently removed from the engine. This is another area the server software is neglected. It is not always possible for an admin to open the game and join to change features. As a linux user I am frequently unable to run a windows game while I am working. Webadmin is much simpler for many to use than terminal services or screens, and is therefore pretty important for getting high quality dedicated servers put up (outside gaming specific server-farms).

Dedicated server stand-alone software is necessary.

A simple server setup and start GUI written in MFC or .NET would be very helpful for beginning server admins. This should include the server console, as well as some options / preferences screens with checkbox and listbox aids for server.ini creation.

Lack of private admin player slots in the game is inexcusable considering the only administration method is logging into the server. This must be fixed quickly as server administration is a nightmare right now.

Message Edited on 03/25/0311:30PM by Nazgul.CO.

XyZspineZyX
    It's just that all of these things and more have been posted over and over.

ravezero wrote:
    - *BUMP*
    -
    - Okay, so NOBODY agrees with me?
    -
    - - RZ
    -
    -
    -

XyZspineZyX
    It took UBI a year to fix dedicated server issues for Ghost Recon. Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

<font color=red><font size=3>Thankyou, please drive thru</font>
    <font color=yellow>Dual OC3 Dedicated Public Server 66.181.251.110</font>
    www.teambsr.com

XyZspineZyX
    We need a REAL server administrator utility.
    This in-game one sucks!

Does anyone know of one????

XyZspineZyX
    I am with you. Most of those features would be nice to make on the fly. If armor affected speed and other things i would agree with that.

XyZspineZyX
    Well, one reason on why it's not the same is because it's not the same engine.

http://bdcpaging.com/files/MapHelperv12.zip
    http://teamghost.com
    http://thecombatzone.net