Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you didn't enjoy WW2 history? | Forums

If you didn't enjoy WW2 history, do you think you would enjoy this game. If seems most of us here at history nuts to some level. Is this game good enough to really attract those that aren't into WW2 history?

I wonder how many play that aren't into WW2 history. The game is great..with mods, but I doubt it could hold me if I wasn't into history.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

If you didn't enjoy WW2 history, do you think you would enjoy this game. If seems most of us here at history nuts to some level. Is this game good enough to really attract those that aren't into WW2 history?

I wonder how many play that aren't into WW2 history. The game is great..with mods, but I doubt it could hold me if I wasn't into history.

There is some truth to what you have said, MWolfe. But I also think that there are many people who game just for the sake of gaming. Also, I think because of the historical background of SHIV that it has an added facination for me. I've read everything about the war in the Pacific that I could get my hands on for the last 40 years.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

Banned
    In your baffles; .....and opening my outer doors.
    Even if you are only into the game for the sake of "gaming", you will still find yourself looking historical items up: .....In order to understand some of the things that happen to you! (.....Like; ...."Why do the early war MK14s suck so badly????" )

klcarroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by klcarroll:
    Even if you are only into the game for the sake of "gaming", you will still find yourself looking historical items up: .....In order to understand some of the things that happen to you! (.....Like; ...."Why do the early war MK14s suck so badly????" ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On this note, while I am a history fan naval history never really interested me. I cared about planes and land stuff, boats and ships always seemed kinda boring.

I got excited about the game though, and while waiting for it to arrive I found myself looking up a bunch of stuff in order to try and learn better tactics and such. Once it got here I was soon researching the different sub classes since the manual doesn't shed much light on advantages of different ones. No I'm hooked.

I'm fascinated by (and love) American History, with special emphasis on the "WWII". I'm not absolutely certian as to why but, I suspect my father had alot to do with it. I feel that SHIV is a catalyst to learning about history, even if only with regards to the WWII, Pacific, theater. My reasoning behind this is that, if you want to sink a lot of ships, you have to, at the very least, know where the shipping lanes were. Since the game is somewhat configured along actual historical context, it helps to learn the tactics and capabiliies of your foe and the arsenal at his disposal. The more success you achieve in the game as a result of historical research, garners to onesself the initiative for further research. Hence, the birth of a fledgling historian.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)

I have always been into War History, from when I was just a little guy, my father is too blame, being a WWII Mosquito, P47 Thunderbolt pilot, so I was around the war influence. I have played most aircraft based comp games that there are, but I will say, if I had too choose, I would play a Sub (American, German etc) game over all others.

ENTER and VOTE in the SCREEN SHOT COMPETITION

I think that the historical backround adds to the game for those of us who enjoy history.However, I know someone who is not a history buff but I got him into the game(my little cousin) Kid is in no way a history buff, but since you can tone down the difficulty level to almost arcade like settings, the casual sub skipper can enjoy it as well.

My cousin happened to come by one day with his mother and father, so I loaded up SH 4 to keep him occupied while us adults visited.Set auto target on etc, gave him the key card layout and he had a blast.Next time I saw him, told me he has SH 4.Interesting thing is, he has been asking me questions about the war etc.So in a way, sims/games like SH 4 can open the door for some.Truth is, the majority of us enjoy history etc but sure there are quite a few others out there that just play the game, who knows, it may even make them curious enough to read up on the war in the PTO.

I have always enjoyed history and knew much about WW II except the submarine war.I knew some but nothing like I did before I started playing SH 4 and began looking up everything I could for backround info.

I've always liked WW2 nval history and aircraft. I guess it's just the impresive accpolishments of raw machinery and power. Today, people fight by pushing buttons and destroying targets they can't even see, where as in WW2 you needed skill and instinct to hit your targets, and some serious balls. I doubt I'd be the least bit interested in a sub game if I didn't like ww2 history.
    Administrator of silenthunter.filefront.com
    Please submit mods, screenshots, and news, and link to our site, because..we're bored..and we have live ordinance..

When I was in high school, my dad got me Silent Service for Christmas on my Atari 1040ST...

I really enjoyed playing it, and in turn got interested in the historical aspects of the game. As I recall, the manual was pretty good and had a good history lesson in it.

Since then, my interest in WW2 has increased and I have studied up on alot of it.

I wouldnt say you had to be a history buff to enjoy the game --- but the game may lead you to that path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast