Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Food Boosting.Saved game added. | Forums

Thanks for the guide! I learned a lot!

On the 6th campaign map now I think. Can't believe that I didn't realize hunters should always be set to fancy food!!! That alone will help me a ton and I'll try to work in some of the more complex combinations Just now I am able to use the forester in the campaign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hunter Cons:
    Must be near Game nodes,
    Game replenish slowly
    Usually spread out
    Relies in potentially long transport routes to supply butcher </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If one hunter needs fancy food and supplies 3 meat then there's nothing stopping you from setting up a noble house with 3 butchers right there in the field. That way all the fancy food and meat is at the same storehouse and your carriers will only care about moving your finished product away from the storehouse.

On a side note.. Is it just me that thinks it is bizarre that you're feeding fancy food back to primary gatherers to make limited resource nodes three times the size?

It doesn't happen for mines so why would it happen for animals and stone? I think it's a bug and will get fixed. I recon hunters will get taken off food like foresters and that stone nodes will go down three times as fast, like mines, with fancy food.

You don't always have the room in the middle of the forest.
    (Fertile land, hey hey, farm!)

You also get the side effect that you have fancy food out there in distant territory where you might want it used.

I might try this in my next game. Putting the butchers out with the hunters every time I see an animal node.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howl-UK:
    On a side note.. Is it just me that thinks it is bizarre that you're feeding fancy food back to primary gatherers to make limited resource nodes three times the size?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look at it this way: If you feed your workers, they do much better job and hence give you better output (multiplied by 2 or 3). You are not making resource node bigger.

I've used hunters in different maps now and it is indeed possible that one hunter can still deplete a resource node.

Also, even if it says the hunter is running at maximum efficiency, the hunter does take time to walk between the forest and the storehouse making his production cycles inconsistent.

I played a game where I relied only on game hunters and I always had some butchers complaining about no meat. When one of my hunters somehow managed to exhaust two game nodes, my whole economy practically crashed.

I think that one has to mix pig farms with hunters so that you are always generating a surplus of meat. If you don't have a lot of extra meat, storehouse carriers will try to get meat from other more faraway sources, slowing down the efficiency of your butchers.

It's not really a question now of pigs OR hunters, but how many pigs to supplement our hunters?

When I decide to expand to a new territory, I already have a game plan for what I want that sector to produce and what it will consume in the process.

This is a good idea on paper, but when implemented, it's not so great.

It will work nicely if you have game areas in your starting zone. You can setup right next to it and feed those hunters the fancy food. The trouble starts showing up when you conquer a new zone with lots of game areas. You setup your hunters/butchers with a storehouse.

You let it run for a bit, and suddenly you notice that they're complaining that they don't have any fancy food to eat. They should be making it right? If you watch, your hunters bring back the meat, drop it in the storehouse, then the storehouse workers grab it and take off back to your first butcher. You keep watching, and you'll notice a working bringing some fancy food and animal meat back out. This time a butcher gets the food and meat. He takes it, makes 2 fancy foods, then drops them at the storehouse. Storehouse worker promptly grabs it and takes off back to your starting area to feed the hungry folk.

After upgrading all the roads, adding more storehouses, and upgrading those storehouses, you'll notice that nothing has changed. None of the guys in the new area are working. They have no fancy food to eat.

So, I decided that the butchers were useless next to those hunters, so I bombed them. I also set the hunters to no food. I also added a couple butchers to my starting area. I set almost all of my work areas to On Demand and to eat fancy food. Suddenly everyone was fed and my fancy food stock was growing.

I think you can only get away with this trick in the beginning. After you start expanding, you need to centralize your production. I keep all of my residences and noble residences in my starting zone. I put gatherers in conquered zones. I put piggery, stables, and windmill inside the main starting area. Grain barn, and shepherd go outside. This keeps the bulky stuff out of my production zone.

I also tried this on the few games I played this evening and to be honest, it's really inconsistent, as Anitox pointed out. You just end up with a load of hungry butchers and everything stalling.

Uh... I am going to try my setup again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast